Rotherham United v Torquay United 13/3/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Ling is becoming a legend. His post comments are said in truth. Thus, he says it how it is. If the team plays bad he says they are poor. If they win they are playing good. Basically he is not a bull shitter, unlike Buckle. I am so pleased Bevan walkled out/left because there is no way we would be in the position we are in now. COYY :clap: :keepie: :keepie: :keepie: :keepie: :keepie: :keepie: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Lucy
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Nice avatar mate :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I cam home this evening feeling really fluey and rough. Aching joints and sickly feeling.
I thought to myself. I wonder how the Boys are doing and logged into the forum.
I trawled through the posts not wanting to know untill it happened although Bruce from Awyup North let the side down telling me early. But not to worry. I eventually got to the start of the match and within Minutes Captain Marvell scores again.. All of a sudden I didn't feel quite so achy. My fever seemed to settle down a bit. And my sick feeling went away. Oh to be Oh to Be Oh To Be a gulls fan.
We have gone second and all of a sudden the unthinkable is within our reach. With ten games to go what we had only dreamed of is happening right before our eyes and whereas before we banished talk of promotion the reality of what has been achieved is right before our eyes. we cannot ignore it anymore. The manager and squad are now talking of promotion so we must uphold the dream and believe it is also possible.
I had a short talk with Martin Ling a few weeks ago at Whaddon Road. I mentioned that although it may be tempting fate a little and i didn't want to mention it to any of the team, I told him that for all the years I had followed Torquay United I had seem many things achieved and promotion attained with few recourses there was one thing that we had never managed to do. A club record that had never been achieved.
For all the finals we had reached. For all the promotions we had achieved. we had never yet won the league. Managers had come and gone. More than one was installed in our hall of fame but none had yet won us the league of any division..
To set that as a target would make this team the most successfull of any of the United Teams. A pinanacle high enough to make even the most cynical sit up and take notice. A mountain high enough to even make Brucie positive.
MArtin Ling thought about it for a moment and said. havn't we? I could see him deep in thought for that moment. I could also see in him the deep regard he had for his team . I could see the belief in his eyes that we could get promotion even that early on.
Dare I believe that at that moment he had thought of seeing if he could bring that mountain to mohammed. Was it possible that not only could we get promoted but do it automaticaly. Could we even win the league.
We need to stand up to that mountain and believe. we need to now acknlowledge that however tough the remaining fixtures are left in the campaign. we too can believe we can march on to Victory.
We have to believe that we will go into every match with a winning mentality as supporters believing, No Knowing that promotion is our aim. The championship is our goal.. We are the twelth man. we are a voice that will carry the lads through the tough times.
The team now believes. we need to now believe. we want to win the league we need to believe we will win the league.
it's no good hiding away saying it's tempting fate.
Look at the table. We are Now second. It's too late to tempt fate. we have hit it squarely in the face and told it hard and fast. We are now good enough. we don't need a ranting Italian who cooks wriggly worms and stuff for food. we have what we need. we have the players. We have the manager. we have the supporters. we have Belief.
ONWARD AND UPWARD. COME ON YOOOOOO GULLLLLLLSSSSS COMMEEEE ONNN YOOOO YEEEEELLLLLOOOOOWWSSS
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Scott Brehaut wrote:All you lot banging on about loving Lee Mansell can **** right off.

I saw him first.

He's mine.

So go away.

PS "SuperNickyWroe" dont make me laugh - SUPER LEE MANSELL!!
Forest gull. I knew there was something about you that worried me. and to all the rest of you Lee says he aint gonna bend over if your anywhere near. Although he has had a damned good laugh.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Scott Brehaut wrote:All you lot banging on about loving Lee Mansell can **** right off.

I saw him first.

He's mine.

So go away.

PS "SuperNickyWroe" dont make me laugh - SUPER LEE MANSELL!!
whatever frog.............. :sleep:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

Myself, The 'Tache and Randall have been. Our summary went along the lines of
First half sheee ite from both sides, only bit of play worthy of professional footballers was the cross and finish. They did hit the woodwork but when the rebound fell to one of their strikers and he missed an open goal from about 6 yards out it about summed up how crap this division is.
Second half, they came out with more conviction and The Gulls sat far too deep and continually hoofed the ball out of defence instead of controlling possession, inviting them to attack. Fortunately they are so poor most of their shots went out for throw ins! (although Olejnik did make two excellent saves early after the break).
As the game got stretched near the end Torquay had two guilt edged chances to wrap up the points but both were spurned, the worst a header from Atieno? i think that would have been easier to put in. BUT...........
its 3 points and at this stage of the season and grinding out wins usually =promotion.
We are praying that they've not peaked too early.
Burton on Saturday now :clap: :scarf:
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

At this moment in time, 17 f ' kin pages on this thread ! :O :clap: :bow: :clap:

I'll have a read through tomorrow night and then comment. :zzz:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
DonnyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Halstead

Post by DonnyGull »

Good scrappy win - well ground out. Voice is well knackered, thank F**k that's the last time we play at the Don Valley Stadium - what a s**t hole.

Roll on Burton on Saturday and hopefully another 3 points. Fully agree with the comments of 'EmetEdadsBeard' in summarising the game.
TUFCforever
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by TUFCforever »

Well done the boys tonight on a fantastic win. We are now all dreaming of what might be and when you look at the league we all have to wonder is it going to be another fantastic end to a truly outstanding season. Martin Ling is a legend but not as big as Captain Marvell, if only Buckle had played him there last season instead of right back where might we have ended up. I get frustrated when we only play 1 up front but who am I to question the legend that is Ling he knows what he is doing and goes about his job the correct way.
I just hope that we can continue this run and think that another 5 wins should see us with enough points for automatic promotion.
Lets hope the next home game that all those people that use to support us start to turn up again and experience what could turn out to be a super fantastic promotion season.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

forevertufc wrote: One I remember was 1998 away to Notts.C lost 3.0 and went on to lose in the play-off final :'(

Great win last night!!!! Going back to that Notts County game when the newspapers had reports of Torquay having nosebleeds because we were so high up in the league I was in Kenya on my last foreign tour and had to follow from afar so to speak but got back for the play off final but couldn't get to Wembley because I flew out to Cyprus that night on holiday with wife and daughter whom I hadn't seen for 6 months. Lost by a penalty against Colchester didn't we? Didn't a certain P Buckle and Mark Sale play against us that night? Anyway that was life in a green suit in them thar far off days but never gave up wearing my shirt and having the mickey taken out of me by the plastic ManU/Arsenal/Chelsea fans amongst my army mates. Good times with loads of Tusker and Castle beer thought (HIC).

2nd in the league!!!! Who would have thought it? COYYS :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Oblivion!!!!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I'll leave the match reports to Bengull and Jeff as they'll be able to do them justice, and i haven't got time at the minute so they'll probably get them in before me anyhow! It was good to meet Bengull, Scottish Gull, AlexGull and DonnyGull last night, good to put faces to names. Hope you all had a safe journey home. I did hear a loud and rich Leeds accent behind me somewhere so that had to have been Gazzab? Cheers for the support and the singing anyway lads - and lasses! I think i saw Jeff standing in the middle of the stand (didn't say hello mate sorry - you're probably glad! :lol: ) and i couldn't spot Emet and his motley crew from Scawsby either. And Bix? Where you you mate? Still in the Cocked Hat at half time i bet?

In short, a real piece of quality for the goal, a perfect stood up cross from the left for Mansell to bullet home. Defended heroically whilst riding our luck - they hit the woodwork a few times - and Bobby in goal not for the first time this season was immense. He is Austrian after all, oh and someone have a word with the programme editor at RUFC as they've got him down as a big Dane! Not having that! :red: Pretty poor game which should have been out of sight when Tai missed an open goal with a header late on but in a nutshell, we got the goal and WE KNOW HOW TO DEFEND A LEAD. That means we'll probably be going up.

Looking forward to going Burton on saturday for a game which on paper looks our easiest task of the three away games.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
DonnyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Halstead

Post by DonnyGull »

Likewise 'austrianandygull' nice to meet you - good turnout last night (114 according to the Torquay United website Match report). Will take another scrappy win at Burton on Saturday - hope to see you there. Regards 'DonnyGull' (Tony). :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

How does it go "Torquay fans reveal yourselves" LOL
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

austrianandygull wrote:I'll leave the match reports to Bengull and Jeff as they'll be able to do them justice, and i haven't got time at the minute so they'll probably get them in before me anyhow! It was good to meet Bengull, Scottish Gull, AlexGull and DonnyGull last night, good to put faces to names. Hope you all had a safe journey home. I did hear a loud and rich Leeds accent behind me somewhere so that had to have been Gazzab? Cheers for the support and the singing anyway lads - and lasses! I think i saw Jeff standing in the middle of the stand (didn't say hello mate sorry - you're probably glad! :lol: ) and i couldn't spot Emet and his motley crew from Scawsby either. And Bix? Where you you mate? Still in the Cocked Hat at half time i bet?

In short, a real piece of quality for the goal, a perfect stood up cross from the left for Mansell to bullet home. Defended heroically whilst riding our luck - they hit the woodwork a few times - and Bobby in goal not for the first time this season was immense. He is Austrian after all, oh and someone have a word with the programme editor at RUFC as they've got him down as a big Dane! Not having that! :red: Pretty poor game which should have been out of sight when Tai missed an open goal with a header late on but in a nutshell, we got the goal and WE KNOW HOW TO DEFEND A LEAD. That means we'll probably be going up.

Looking forward to going Burton on saturday for a game which on paper looks our easiest task of the three away games.
We were near back sat about 6 rows down, two big blokes and my Time Bandit mate.
Like I said our kid is easy to pick out as he has a massive shiner from Saturday, we are going to Burton on Saturday so if you see us say hello.
:) :)
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

austrianandygull wrote:I'll leave the match reports to Bengull and Jeff as they'll be able to do them justice, and i haven't got time at the minute so they'll probably get them in before me anyhow! It was good to meet Bengull, Scottish Gull, AlexGull and DonnyGull last night, good to put faces to names. Hope you all had a safe journey home. I did hear a loud and rich Leeds accent behind me somewhere so that had to have been Gazzab? Cheers for the support and the singing anyway lads - and lasses! I think i saw Jeff standing in the middle of the stand (didn't say hello mate sorry - you're probably glad! :lol: ) and i couldn't spot Emet and his motley crew from Scawsby either. And Bix? Where you you mate? Still in the Cocked Hat at half time i bet?

Yes that was me! bit drunk, a bit cold but happy all the same. see you at Burton.
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Torquay made it 10 points from a possible 12 so far in March and in doing so continued their ascent of the league two table, moving into 2nd place outright by winning their game in hand at the Don Valley last night. This match was called off in February due to the sub zero weather conditions, and moving it to a Tuesday night was always going to be a tough ask for 'The Yellow Army' however 114 brave {or deluded} souls were rewarded for their endeavours with another resolute and strong willed performance.

An unchanged Torquay side started brightly without really troubling the Rotherham goal. Indeed it was The Millers who created the lionshare of chances but failed to take a single one of them- as has been the case with many teams up against Torquay this season. The one goal of the match was, with what is increasingly becoming a common Torquay trademark, a moment of real quality. Kevin Nicholson was afforded far too much space on the left wing, and his pinpoint delivery was expertly headed past the keeper by talismanic captain Lee Mansell, who had timed his run, unmarked, to perfection. It was the skipper's 12th goal of the season, and another decisive one.

Torquay continued to probe for the rest of the half, but lacked the penetration to create another opening of any note, at the other end Rotherham had upped the ante and were testing the two Torquay full-backs down the wings, doubling up on each. Inconsistent delivery however led to a premium of chances for the home side, but Torquay were fortuitous to escape the first half unscathed when a thunderbolt from a Rotherham man cannoned off the cross bar with Olejnik a mere spectator.

Into the second half and Torquay's game plan was {again} to sit back and absorb the Rotherham pressure, before picking the home team off on the counter attack. On many an occasion this season this plan has been expertly executed, giving great confidence it could be executed again. Rotherham again looked dangerous down the flanks, a series of testing balls were slightly nervously turned behind by the retreating Yellow defenders as the home side cranked up the pressure - not aided by a near silent home crowd.

Bobby Olejnik was called into action on several occasions and each time he had the answer. Not for the first time this season the popular Austrian keeper, and the bargain of the century, kept his sheet clean with a number of strong saves and confidence inspiring catches and interventions. On the one occasion he was beaten though, when the ball was bouncing around the 6 yard box, the ball either ricocheted off the post, or it was brilliantly cleared by the man on the line. Without the aid of a replay it was near on impossible to tell, as previous visitors to the Don Valley will testify, from our lofty perch in the away end.

It wasn't all one way traffic though, in between riding their luck Torquay were able to create the chances on the counter attack to finish the game off, however they were unable to take them and subsequently failed to ease the pressure. Ryan Jarvis, on for a tiring and continually out muscled Danny Stevens, was released down the left wing by the industrious Eunan O'Kane, the ex Norwich front man cut inside expertly and his fierce shot hit the underside of the bar and bounced out to safety. In the last minute Taiwo Atieno, on as a like for like replacement for the selfless and effective Rene Howe, somehow conspired to nod the ball wide with the goal at his mercy following another rather uncertain save from the Rotherham goalkeeper from a speculative Ian Morris shot from distance.

Of worrying concern to Martin Ling and the Yellow Army was that, for the second game running, Kevin Nicholson had to limp off before the end. What looked to be a twinge forced the long serving left back to bravely soldier on on one leg to try and stop a mounting Rotherham attack. The ball was eventually cleared and Nicholson was able to walk off with a slight limp. Like on Saturday, Torquay will hope the damage is not serious and he will be fit for Saturday's trip to struggling Burton. Lathaniel Rowe Turner is a reliable substitute to have in reserve though, and he helped his team-mates see out the 3 minutes of stoppage time without alarm as Torquay held on for their 17th clean sheet of an impressively solid and consistent season.

Torquay rode their luck last night, the stats showed that Rotherham had twice the chances on goal, but matches are won by converting the chances you create and The Gulls have the happy knack of finding the finishing touch at a crucial time. The mark of a successful team is winning despite not playing well, and last night was very much a salient example of this theory. However, despite how much pressure the team was under, at no stage was there panic on the pitch, vying to try and calmly pass the ball out of trouble when the opportunities arose, Torquay certainly look to have all the components needed to gain promotion this season. A narrow victory up North, on a mid week night, with no overnight stop, is the hallmark of promotion contenders, and just serves to emphasise the character and team spirit of this determined group of multi-talented players.

Torquay travel to Burton on Saturday looking to cement their merited place in the top 3 further. Another win would set them up nicely for Tuesday's trip to the top team, Swindon. Going to the County Ground as the team in second place would heap all the pressure on Paolo Di Canio's troops, its fair to say the next two away matches could define where we end up come season end. The belief in the team, and amongst the fans though is rising by the match, and as the games are being whittled away one by one, Torquay are climbing higher and higher up the league.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really enjoyed my first and only visit to the Don Valley. Despite its reputation, the view wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I like being up high at away games- makes it easier to analyse the game as a whole- only down side was not being able to meaningfully applaud the team off the pitch at the final whistle. In saying that I would hate to play there every week as there is zero atmosphere, you can tell the home fans are long-suffering, you could hear a pin drop. Credit to all Torquay fans then for trying gallantly to make an atmosphere, the players tweeted that it made a massive difference so kudos to us all.

Lastly it was really good to meet one of my favourite members, Austrianandy, unfortunately I was not able to see him in mid vitriolic rant action, whether its because he enjoyed the match so much or because I was stood behind him for the entirety and could not see his facial expressions I do not know. Also nice to meet Scottish Gull and Gazza B too, plenty of laughs again on the back step.

I am absolutely buzzing for Saturday, I can't wait. I have so much confidence in this group of players, and management staff, and I am really starting to believe strongly that we will go all the way - we have all the credentials!