Rotherham United v Torquay United 13/3/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Rotherham United v Torquay United 13/3/12

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

DON VALLEY STADIUM ( SHEFFIELD ) - KICK OFF @ 7.45

Our match away at Rotherham on the 4th of February was postponed due to freezing conditions, snow and a frozen pitch and has been re-arranged for tomorrow evening (13/3). It will be our last ever visit to the cavernous expanse that is the Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield given that Rotherham United are due to relocate back into the town for next season in a brand new stadium. The new stadium is to be called the NEW YORK STADIUM due to it being built on an area of land that used to house factories supplying fire hydrants to New York and the USA. A tenuous link and slightly bizarre IMO, bet they wouldn't have done the same if the area built on was a popular manufacturing base for condoms! That said, the upshot is that we no longer have to endure the horror that is a visit to the Don Valley Stadium after tomorrow.

Our first visit there was on a cold friday evening in our 2009/10 campaign in front of 3,339 fans and a late Benyon equaliser salvaged a point for us in a 1-1 draw. Last season was a more memorable game even though we lost 3-1 in front of 3,379. We needed other results to go our way in the end to secure a play off spot but i was part of the 700 or so Gulls contingent on that sunny day and the scenes at the end of the match were memorable. Zebs got our goal on the day and we were shite again. Surprising that the attendance figures for both games were similar yet we took so many away fans on the second visit. Rotherham got 3,475 for the visit of Plymouth on saturday so i reckon the gate for tomorrow night could be around the 3000 mark.

Those who have never been to the Don Valley stadium will find it a soulless place reminiscent of a run down eastern bloc ground. The view of the playing area is good if you've got binoculars and the atmosphere is non-existent. Both sets of fans are housed along one side of the ground with the other three sides bereft of anything. The Gulls contingent will be situated in a block of seats over in the right hand corner. To be honest there are plenty of seats and loads of space and the facilities aren't that bad. The area around the ground is pretty run down and there is nothing of any note other than a few pubs and a few shops / delis.

Ticket prices are as follows:

ADULTS £18 DISABLED & CONCESSIONS £10 ( students need a valid NUS card ).

On the pitch this game looks to be a dificult one as Rotherham are used to playing on the poor surface at the DV and they do have a team that are capable of beating anyone on their day. They also have the added incentive of being only 5 points from a play off berth. Gulls sides of this and previuos seasons like to get the ball on the deck and use possession well and this has not proved to be a productive way of playing on this surface, indeed Carl Fletcher the Gargs boss said this about saturday,'It was sunny one minute, then windy, it was a bobbly pitch'. The good thing is we have quite a few players in our squad who HAVE played here before so know what to expect.

Rotherham won 1-0 last time out at the DV against Plymouth thanks to a 70th minute penalty from 17 goal top scorer Lewis Grabban. Two of his goals coming at Plainmoor earlier on this season in our ery entertaining 3-3 draw. Alex Revell has 9 league goals and Shaun Harrad who was on a one month emergency loan at the DV has now left so won't be available. Other notable players include Ben Pringle who played 5 games for us on loan from Derby County in March 2011 and Alex Revell who has been around the block a bit.

This was their line up v Plymouth:

1. RHYS TAYLOR
2. JOHNNY MULLINS
3. MICHAEL RAYNES
4. DANNY HARRISON
5. JASON TAYLOR
6. DANNY SCHOFIELD
7. MARK BRADLEY
8. BEN PRINGLE
9. SAM WOOD ( on loan from Brentford )
10. ALEX REVELL
11. LEWIS GRABBAN

SUBS: ANDY WARRINGTON (GK), DALE TONGE, GARETH EVANS, KIERON CADOGAN ( on loan from Palace ) and SHAUN HARRAD ( now left ).

Overall i would be happy with a draw here but our record is poor so i fear a defeat. Either way , i shall be in attendance!! COYY!!!!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Ah, the joys of the Don Valley Stadium. Went up for our last game of the season and I was amazed just how terrible the ground was. Soulless was an understatement, although 800 gulls fans if I remember certainly made enough noise considering how far back we were from the pitch.

As for tomorrow night, I would take a point. Probably around 100-150 gulls fans in attendance.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

The delights of the Don Valley awaits against a team we never do well against. Heading up to this one more in hope than expectation.

Would take a draw right now. Will be at the back attempting to make an atmosphere and getting behind the lads.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

horrible ground in a horrible part of sheffield, all the pubs near there are shocking with the exception of the carlton

bookies make rotherham strong favourites at 5/4, while we're a huge 21/10 and the draw is 12/5 with bet365, i'll be having some of that, and also the 11/8 on offer for three points at burton

they must have got sentimental cos theres not much to justify rotherham being huge favourites apart from their record against us and that if they're gonna start a push to the playoffs then it really needs to have begun with their narrow win over argyle at the weekend

as i've said i've be there right after work tomorrow, its only a couple of pints andy, ta for looking out for me, but my livers fine!! hard to do damage to it really when i only drink beer, its the spirits that do the real damage, what i have is mostly water and it has the bonus of giving my kidneys a good workout too!!

i'm fairly confident that we wont lose, and will prob have a few quid on us keeping a clean sheet at 11/4
still keeping the faith
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I won't be there tomorrow and therefore will never get the pleasure(?) in visiting the Don Valley Stadium(?). I hope that we can get a victory, so we can start these 3 away games in a row with a win.

COYY!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

The Don Valley Stadium is less than twenty-two years old and was built for the World Student Games. It's the largest athletics stadium in the UK. Can't understand why anyone thinks it's got no atmosphere though. I thought it always looked pretty open to the elements.. Anyway, we're due for a win here.. :scarf:
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

Gullscorer wrote:The Don Valley Stadium is less than twenty-two years old and was built for the World Student Games. It's the largest athletics stadium in the UK. Can't understand why anyone thinks it's got no atmosphere though. I thought it always looked pretty open to the elements.. Anyway, we're due for a win here.. :scarf:
I think you answered your own query there, that and the fact that only a 5th of the ground ever gets filled.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Parry wrote: I think you answered your own query there, that and the fact that only a 5th of the ground ever gets filled.
I was actually making one of my rare attempts at sardonic humour. Atmosphere... Elements... Ah well..!! 8/
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

austrianandygull wrote:The area around the ground is pretty run down and there is nothing of any note other than a few pubs and a few shops / delis.
and about 50 titty bars and the notorious swingers emporium "la chambre", i wouldnt want a job as a cleaner in there and thats for sure!!!

there was a documentary about it up here a few years back, looks a terrifying place!! heres more info

Link removed, as this is a family site. If anyone is desperate, I'm sure Google can help you out - Gulliball
still keeping the faith
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

I shall be there, couldn't make last season so this will be my first and only visit to a ground i am not looking forward to visiting!!

Bit of an a*se with it being midweek, but I guess thats one of the advantages of being self employed, and the team deserve my support having entertained me throughout the season! I will be on the back row with AlexGulls trying to make an atmosphere, would love to be able to a face to a few names.

As long as we avoid defeat i will be happy, got a sneaky feeling we might get all 3 though, such is the confidence and sterness of our team.

Come on you Yellows!!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

bixieupnorth wrote: and about 50 titty bars and the notorious swingers emporium "la chambre", i wouldnt want a job as a cleaner in there and thats for sure!!!
there was a documentary about it up here a few years back, looks a terrifying place!! heres more info

Especially after the last time you were in there Bix! :Z
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by AlexGulls »

Yeah I heard he got into a bit of a "sticky" situation on his last visit when he went in after we secured the playoffs last season.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

:clap:
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I'll be very surprised (and impressed) if there are three-figures worth of gulls there tomorrow night. Pretty much same time of year last year at Bury I counted 55 (I got bored watching us get beasted for the first 45mins).

That said, it ended up being one of my favourite away days with us delivering victory from the jaws of defeat, so I'll happily settle for the same again!
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by AlexGulls »

Jeff wrote:I'll be very surprised (and impressed) if there are three-figures worth of gulls there tomorrow night. Pretty much same time of year last year at Bury I counted 55 (I got bored watching us get beasted for the first 45mins).

That said, it ended up being one of my favourite away days with us delivering victory from the jaws of defeat, so I'll happily settle for the same again!
Think we had 75 at that Bury game. And agree wouldnt be surprised if it was similar though we have a decent amount of fans up Yorkshire way so maybe a few will make the trip to this one aswell.

Remember the Bury game well. The ultimate description of a game of two halves!