Mustapha Carayol

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
budleigh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by budleigh »

Whatever one's views on Paul Buckle or Mustapha Carayol it does them both a misfavour to say that they fell out with each other and that was the reason Carayol left Plainmoor. It wasn't. It was for personal reasons which had nothing to do with Torquay United or the management.
That Buckle wanted him to stay at the time of his transfer to Lincoln is on record, as is the fact that Carayol was offered an improved contract by the manager to do so. That would indicate that Paul Buckle rated him when the player was at Torquay and hasn't had a sudden change of heart.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Thats utter bullshit and you know it. Buckle didn't rate Carayol because he didn't play him for a season and a half. Only a blind man would not have offered Carayol a contract because his from towards the end of the season was extraordinary.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

His form in the last half dozen games or so was good, he was in the shop window and turned it on for the scouts.

Only an idiot offers a contract to a guy who only plays when it suits him.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
budleigh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by budleigh »

Thats utter bullshit and you know it.
Sorry Terry, but is that aimed at me?
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

It certainly looked that way to me Budleigh

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

ferrarilover wrote:His form in the last half dozen games or so was good, he was in the shop window and turned it on for the scouts.

Only an idiot offers a contract to a guy who only plays when it suits him.

Matt.
Gavin Tomlin...? Did much the same in the Play-Offs.

Carayol has quality. When he got a run of games in our team, he proved it. If he was only performing in order to secure a move away, it's just a shame he wasn't made to feel more comfortable in his time here. Perhaps then he wouldn't have been so deseperate to leave.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Carayol was here for 2 years (or three) and was shit for all but 5 or 6 games. Tomlin played 8 games, was unbelievable in one, pretty well in 4 others and quiet without being useless in the remainder, hardly the same.

Matt.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Unbelievable!! As on the Benners thread, i agree with Ferrari again.Carayol, every time i saw him was shit. Tomlin had many games when he too was shit including the play off fianl but equally as many when he was immense like the away leg at Shrewsbury. I'd deffo rather have Tomlin than Carayol any day of the week.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

ferrarilover wrote:Carayol was here for 2 years (or three) and was sh*t for all but 5 or 6 games. Tomlin played 8 games, was unbelievable in one, pretty well in 4 others and quiet without being useless in the remainder, hardly the same.

Matt.
That'll be the 5 or 6 games he actually played a row then. He was young (and seemingly immature), but developed. Can't really ask for much more than that. By the time he left he was a decent player. Tomlin played well half the time (and brilliant in the home leg against Shrews), and looked disinterested half the time. The similarities of evidently 'performing when it suited' are there.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

So decent, he couldn't nail down a place in our struggling squad one year, nor a relegated team the year after. Tomlin was considerably better than many are giving him credit for, and I don't know where some people get their opinions of him from. But then, those who reckon Carayol was class probably wonder exactly the same of me. Each to their own.

Matt.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

ferrarilover wrote:So decent, he couldn't nail down a place in our struggling squad one year, nor a relegated team the year after. Tomlin was considerably better than many are giving him credit for, and I don't know where some people get their opinions of him from. But then, those who reckon Carayol was class probably wonder exactly the same of me. Each to their own.

Matt.
People see things differently. It's all about opinions.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Fonda wrote: People see things differently. It's all about opinions.

Don't forget to factor in favouritism and prejudice. :nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"