Tom Cruise

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
eastmoorgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Stubbs

Post by eastmoorgull »

I agree with Brucie. He put in two viscious left crosses at Exeter and at the warm up at Exeter and on the open training session Hodges and CH were working hard on Tom, Angus, Downes and Tonge getting their positional play right.
Even with his age and pedigree he leaves a lot to be desired but you can but hope the more he plays the better he will get ; trying to be positive here.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

People keep saying that Cruise is good on the ball, but from the evidence of my own eyes this seems to be more from reputation than reality. I lost count of the amount of times last season he gave the ball away or inexplicably passed it out of play. He has been little better in preseason. Added to that he cannot clear the ball properly, head the ball or tackle. Other than that he's a brilliant full back.

However this is a short term deal. Some insurance in case Ives can't cut it? Seeing whether Bournemouth change their mind on car gill once the season starts? A LB top of the shopping list when/if one of the listed players leave? All possible and I hope one of them is correct, as I have seen little improvement in Cruise since his arrival.

Since totnes (when the first team started playing), we have conceded six preseason goals. From my reckoning cruise has been at direct fault for three of them. He almost cost us two at Exeter, but for a goal line clearance and a skewed shot. Tonge is no great shakes but he defends better than cruise. Tells you all you need to know.

NB: this post seems quite forcefull but it's not meant as such. I am sure he is a lovely bloke, and it would be fantastic if he proved me wrong, but at the moment this is how I see it.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I have seen the guy play well but in the majority of times I've seen him his positional sense has been poor. The Manager has to be aware of that. The interconnection between this and other threads on here are pretty obvious. I hope I am wrong and Tom proves me well wrong
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Dazza wrote:I have seen the guy play well but in the majority of times I've seen him his positional sense has been poor. The Manager has to be aware of that. The interconnection between this and other threads on here are pretty obvious. I hope I am wrong and Tom proves me well wrong
Obvious to who? Are you questioning Hargreaves judgements before season start?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
mike86
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by mike86 »

I used to watch arsenal u18/reserves a fair bit and I remember thinking he was decent on the ball and a steady passer (which I would assume is easier at that level with more time on ball?) also seemed ok when got forward but remember some games he rarely got over the half way line. he did seem to lack pace from what I remember. Although was never going to get a chance at arsenals level i would have said he will be sure to have a good career in the football league, so its interesting to read he is struggling, and a shame as he seemed down to earth in a team with some big egos at that time.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Yeah I pretty much agree with Brucie's summation of Cruise. I'm just hoping Ives can offer some form of competition to keep him on his toes. I'd like to see Cruise get a nice run in the first team with no injuries, and see if working in a settled side and defence helps it click into place for him.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

No Richinns I am not questioning the Manager's judgement. Other current threads on here relate to splits in the Board. Splits there are certain in my view to restrict the resource available to the Manager both now and for the months to come.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Don't worry. It's just another Mission Impossible and our hero will win through in the end. And it's in 3-D.. :-D
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Dazza wrote:No Richinns I am not questioning the Manager's judgement. Other current threads on here relate to splits in the Board. Splits there are certain in my view to restrict the resource available to the Manager both now and for the months to come.
I think the decision on the playing squad (including Cruise) where long done before this split. The two have no interaction what-so-ever but the future effect is yet to be known.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Well if there are more in favour of him being here then i can imagine that was why he was offered a contract. so your Minority report will probably be binned. Its not exaclty an Endless love and he is with The outsiders. but I imagine you will be able to Tap into why CH thought it was worth offering him a contract even if he passes and keeps Loosin it. I am sure he makes All the right moves but as you know football is a Risky business and despite the promise of him being a Top Gun he isnt exactly been a Legend yet. and I doubt Cruise will want to walk cos he has seen the Colour of Money.
But in The Firm. A Few Good Men some of whom may have been born on the Fourt of July.where by Far and Away mixing Cocktails like the Rain man in the recent bad weather we have had. you have to admit there have been a few Days of Thunder. and although we rose tinters dont see the Vaniila Sky, whether it Magnolia or not.even with our Eyes wide Shut like Jerry Maguire. will battle like the last Samuiria. like lions to Lambs, in the Tropic Thunder.demanding Collaterol and unlike the Rock of ages dissapear in the Oblivion on the Edge of Tomorow.
Oh flippen Ecky thump I am too tired to carry on this Bilge. If anyone wants to finish it you need to get a life.and i need to get on a Space Station and watch Austin Powers all Day and Night. lol :lol:
Look at all the work I have just saved you.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Pea
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dale Tonge

Post by Pea »

Kit_robin wrote:People keep saying that Cruise is good on the ball, but from the evidence of my own eyes this seems to be more from reputation than reality. I lost count of the amount of times last season he gave the ball away or inexplicably passed it out of play. He has been little better in preseason. Added to that he cannot clear the ball properly, head the ball or tackle. Other than that he's a brilliant full back.

However this is a short term deal. Some insurance in case Ives can't cut it? Seeing whether Bournemouth change their mind on car gill once the season starts? A LB top of the shopping list when/if one of the listed players leave? All possible and I hope one of them is correct, as I have seen little improvement in Cruise since his arrival.

Since totnes (when the first team started playing), we have conceded six preseason goals. From my reckoning cruise has been at direct fault for three of them. He almost cost us two at Exeter, but for a goal line clearance and a skewed shot. Tonge is no great shakes but he defends better than cruise. Tells you all you need to know.

NB: this post seems quite forcefull but it's not meant as such. I am sure he is a lovely bloke, and it would be fantastic if he proved me wrong, but at the moment this is how I see it.
This... times a billion. Inexplicable really is the word for it. The times I've watched him have about 15 minutes to control a ball, look up, spot a team mate all of 15 yards away, then inexplicably pass the ball straight to an opponent. It's almost worse than Nico's famous old trick of knocking a 50 yard channel ball EVERY SINGLE TIME, despite Rene Howe not getting on the end of a single one from August to April.
Pea.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Richinns wrote: Obvious to who? Are you questioning Hargreaves judgements before season start?
On this decision - YES!
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
+mustard+
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Billy Bodin

Post by +mustard+ »

Tom cannot hit passes good enough for a fullback to many go out of play, I feel that he has had his chance and Levi is the better option.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Having a talented 17 year old left us in a good position, because we had the opportunity to get rid of Nicholson and Cruise, neither of which have excelled or made the position their own over the last few seasons, and replace them with one player - making a saving and hopefully improving the team. Signing Cruise 3 days before the season starts suggests that we've failed to attract anyone better, or that loan options haven't materialised yet. I hope we keep working on this, because the full backs look to be the weakest link in our squad by a country mile. Ives stands a great chance of getting some game time at the moment, which could be good for us long term, but ideally he would get a chance when forces it, not forced because we have no-one else.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

brucie wrote:Yes Cruise is better than Nicholson. Cruise is excellent on the ball but seems incapable as regards positional sense.
That said we are playing at a lower standard and its probably worth the risk in my view (just about)
Again I'm agreeing with Brucie! (must look out for the blue moon tonight!)
Nicho used to be good (notice the past tense) at set piece delivery but hasn't really shown it consistently for a good 18 months.
Cruise is a much more technically proficient player, more skillful. He just needs to develop his thinking and reading of the game more.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084