Tom Cruise

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Tom Cruise

Post by Richinns »

What is the dealio with him?

I see he was part of the squad photos which very much indicates he will be part of the squad for the season but as far as I know he is still proving himself?

Have I missed something or have the club not announced he has been retained?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

Tom has been offered a new contract.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

NOO !!!!!! - unless it is a game by game contract.

This smacks of complete desperation - or is it the reason that Alex and the Boyce Bros have left ?!! :|

Every commentary I have listened to for the PSFs has criticised Cruise for his positional sense - is that going to significantly improve in the next 4 days?????!!!!!
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Gloomy Gull wrote:NOO !!!!!! - unless it is a game by game contract.

This smacks of complete desperation - or is it the reason that Alex and the Boyce Bros have left ?!! :|

Every commentary I have listened to for the PSFs has criticised Cruise for his positional sense - is that going to significantly improve in the next 4 days?????!!!!!

Are we saying we may just have a left back issue?
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

We certainly are !!!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

**remaining positive as possible**

He must be showing something in training that we have yet to see on the pitch. The guy has barely played yet has been offered contracts by three managers - Ling, Knill and now Hargreaves. There must be potential in there - let’s hope Hargreaves can uncover what we are yet to see.
TUST member 328
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

This is pathetic! :@

No disrespect to the lad, its nothing personal and I hope he proves me wrong, but, is this really the best we could do. We should have been getting rid of as much of the deadwood from last season as possible, along with Nico and Tonge at fullback,Tom was poor.

Its bad enough we cant shift those under contract that have been crap but now we are offering new deals to those who should have been out the door as soon as the final ball was kicked last season.

If we are really that stuck for a left back we could borrow one part time from a South Devon League team because they surely couldnt do any worse.

Hopefully Hargreaves will go with Levi Ives as number 1 for the left back spot, but I doubt it as his age will be taken into account rather than his ability and the usual cautious approach will be the way forward.

What with this, other players not moving on and the directors debacle, all my optimism is rapidly fading away. :no:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

It's a very good point about Ives. Perhaps that is why Cruise has only been given a short term deal at this stage rather than a whole year. If it were me, I'd give both Cruise and Ives game-time early in the season. If it's a bit too much too soon for Ives, at least we have some kind of Plan B. If Ives can step up and make the place his own, see you later Tom.

For what it's worth, in the first season for us Cruise did manage some encouraging performances (one I recall was Dagenham away, which was his first game for months but after a shaky start he was one of or better players that night). However, what cannot be ignored is the dire injury record and poor performances last season.

As for Ives, there are countless other 17 year olds worldwide who play first team football, why not with us. He seems to be from good stock with his international games, if we can manage him in the right way he could be a little money spinner!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

this close to the start of the season, it's probably a classic case of the guy in situ being the one in the driving seat. To try to find a replacement with only a few days left would be very hard, and probably would cost more money.

Cruise is a weird one - he really should be easily good enough for League 2, given his background. I've not seen him play (obviously) so I can't say why he's not done as well as I thought he would but like I say, I'm sure he's been offered a contract mainly because he's already in the area. He's probably shown enough in training to demonstrate that he can at least be a body for us, too.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

happytorq wrote:this close to the start of the season, it's probably a classic case of the guy in situ being the one in the driving seat. To try to find a replacement with only a few days left would be very hard, and probably would cost more money.

Cruise is a weird one - he really should be easily good enough for League 2, given his background. I've not seen him play (obviously) so I can't say why he's not done as well as I thought he would but like I say, I'm sure he's been offered a contract mainly because he's already in the area. He's probably shown enough in training to demonstrate that he can at least be a body for us, too.
Maybe we are waiting for a loanee and Tom will be backup?
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

kevgull wrote: Maybe we are waiting for a loanee and Tom will be backup?
Perhaps but seems unlikely given Ives (who is not an official 'pro' yet) has made the first team squad photo. I don't see him bringing in anyone else unless Cruise gets injured in which case he will likely be released come the end of his short term contract.
TUST member 328
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Is Cruise a better option than Nicholson?

Experience
Set piece throwins
Set piece free kicks
Set piece corners
Speed
Attacking crosses
Positional sense
Leadership
Injuries
Tackling
ect

Weighing up all the qualities and I would say Kiddy have a better option at left back this season than we currently have.

Sadly we will be targeted again this season by the nippy Right winger. :'(
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

kevgull wrote:Is Cruise a better option than Nicholson?

Experience
Set piece throwins
Set piece free kicks
Set piece corners

Speed
Attacking crosses
Positional sense
Leadership
Injuries
Tackling
ect

Weighing up all the qualities and I would say Kiddy have a better option at left back this season than we currently have.

Sadly we will be targeted again this season by the nippy Right winger. :'(

id be interested to see the stats for the highlighted parts for last season.............. :-/

as for speed.........F**king hell cruise must be slow......... =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes Cruise is better than Nicholson. Cruise is excellent on the ball but seems incapable as regards positional sense.
That said we are playing at a lower standard and its probably worth the risk in my view (just about)