Torquay United v Barnet - 16/4/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

I have spent all week trying my hardest not to think about today's game, it has proved impossible.

I am pretty good at keeping my nerves in check usually, but this morning I can't. Today is massive, do or die really, we simply have to win, the grim reality in my mind is lose and we are down.

The lead up to the game has been punctuated by one hammer blow after another but as of 3pm all that is irrelevant. We have to get behind the 11 who take to the field and give it our all. It is hard to keep the faith after everything that has happened but to be pessimistic would be completely counter-productive on a day like this. There is no room for negativity at Plainmoor today.

Not convinced giving us the away end is a good idea, I like to shout and sing but there is no way I am leaving the pop-side, I know many are in the same boat. I just hope any atmosphere that is generated isn't too factious.

Torquay United do this to us time and time again, I am well rehearsed with these tense and nervy afternoons, I really hope the rest of the crowd and most importantly the players are too.

Win or bust it is as simple as that. Come on you yellows!
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Agree Bengull haven't thought about anything else!!

COME ON YOU YELLOWS!!

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
BarnetBee
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Kee

Post by BarnetBee »

I cannot reiterate the importance of this game for both clubs. It's a shame there is no other way. May the best team win.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

woke up this morning with that big match feeling, butterflies in the stomach, absolutely buzzin'. i feel like a kid at christmas, today is the first time i take my son to a match. its like that excitement i got years ago when my dad used to take me to plainmoor, cant wait.

now watch the team b@stard well spoil it! only joking. =D we're gonna do this today i just feel it, im getting good vibes and trust me when that happens we're usually alright.

i have already said it but it has to be attack, attack, attack. its the only way to get anywhere in this league. we must pull through with sheer guts, determination, passion, commitment, desire and will. never give up, never, ever give up.

i have used all the phrases and cliches i can think of to sum up how we should be in the last few months-

attack is the best form of defence.
no guts,no glory.
he who dares, wins.
fortune favours the brave.

even last night, using the wise words of the greatest.(there are many more by the way).

the time for talking is now over. all the players must be up to their full potential and do whatever it takes. screw bad luck if something happens against you that aggrieves you or goes against you that should drive you on to put things right. the adversity should motivate you and make you determined to fight back and win.

if they need more motivation than the fact that their careers are on the line and their club is facing falling into the football wilderness and all the negative factors that go with it then they dont deserve to be professional footballers. after they have walked away if the unthinkable happens it goes on their CV and when it comes to finding a new club, yeah, good luck with that.

we can do this, we can. lets get behind the team today, every man woman and child. leave the negative at the gate and save it for after.(hopefully there wont be any needed).

footnote: thanks for the comments about ali, andy, its not just about the boxing. he was great and courageous in and out of the ring. a great character, humanitarian, diplomat, role model and ambassador. he made sacrifices at the height of his career and gave up his title and earning potential to stand up for something he believed in.check out some of his stuff on youtube his interviews are brilliant. :bow:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

This game is massive and the fans have to be their very very best. I am playing all my favourite upbeat tunes and warming up the vocals so I'll be ready on the popside to shout and sing all the encouragement to my Torquay......
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Sounds nasty Jane - maybe you should apply for a space on embarrassing illnesses....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Just received a tweet saying the match is off due to a waterlogged pitch. Nothing official yet.
TUST member 203
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

divingbboy wrote:Just received a tweet saying the match is off due to a waterlogged pitch. Nothing official yet.
Yes was just about to set off and saw photo of pitch on the Barnet forum tweeted by one of their fans in the last 30 minutes. Looks awful and unplayable. Waiting confirmation to save a wasted journey! :B
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

absolutely gutted. :( talk about a massive come down. i was well up for that and like i said it was going to be my lads first match.

dont know if i can make a rearrangement because its bound to be a tuesday night and i work tuesday nights. great. :@

my dad had already gone and bought tickets for the family stand as well so he may have to get a refund if thats possible. only hope is i might be able to get someone to swap shifts, but the missus might nag about the boy being out so late on a school night.

been on the barnet forum and they are dreading it being a tuesday night and would prefer a wednesday because they never win tuesday night games away apparently. in fact one fan has suggested they havent won away on a tuesday night for 8 years. unless he was exagerrating this could finally be a bit of luck in a way.

if this is true then the game surely must be on a tuesday night.the club had better not give way.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

:@ Barnet fans think that we've been watering the pitch to get the match rearranged because our goalie is injured!!!!!!!! Yeah, & we can accurately predict the weather & knew exactly how much rain would fall this morning I suppose!
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Plymgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Plymgull »

taxilady wrote::@ Barnet fans think that we've been watering the pitch to get the match rearranged because our goalie is injured!!!!!!!! Yeah, & we can accurately predict the weather & knew exactly how much rain would fall this morning I suppose!
http://www.onlybarnet.com/forum/viewtop ... f=3&t=5061

All this from having a pint with a local apparently. :lol:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Just how thick are these people?!!!

Dear Barnet fans, we are a worse team than you and will not have our first choice keeper ready for tuesday. I'm sure if we did then all your lads need do is rough him up a but at corners and set pieces to make him uncertain. We will have our 2nd choice keeper in most probably who is a great lad but a poor goalie at this level. We now have an extra 3 days for our players to sweat it out and try to handle the pressure, most of whom haven't been in this situation before unlike some of your lads so given our players clearly have shown that they cannot handle the pressure then deliberately sabotaging the pitch so that the game gets called off would only work in your favour anyway. On top of that we now have the added psychological pressure of now being dumped into the bottom 2 and looking up at safety which is now 3 points away given the other results today and knowing if we now don't beat your lot on tuesday then it is probably all over bar the shouting.

Of course we sabotaged the pitch and..............

I'll have a word with God to see if he can stop the rain falling for tuesday night for you lot ok?

Unbelieveable.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Sadly I do not think I will be able to go to the game now, as many will no my lad was on trial with a pro club for their U16 squad, he is a keeper and fractured his wrist, it now looks like he will fit to resume his trial and allthough the club concerned have been patient and have been happy to wait, they have said they must see him fully before mid May, so he more than likely will return on Tuesday night.

So I will be forced to shout from a far.
Formerly known as forevertufc
al roxzar
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: danny stevens

Post by al roxzar »

Was anyone in Boots and Laces about 2.15 yesterday afternoon and see supporter and former steward verbally abused by our current security company?