Torquay United v Barnet - 16/4/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Torquay United v Barnet - 16/4/13

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Alan Knill paces around the dressing room, he looks pensive, he knows what a 'sh*t yer pants' ride awaits in the next 2 hours. He knows that if he were to eat a supersize portion of extra spicy chicken vindaloo washed down with 12 pints of plum juice, ran through Longleat Safari Park dressed as an antelope but covered in spreaded potted beef and shouting, "eat me i'm a taste sensation", then went to Alton Towers and went on Oblivion 6 times before driving to Beachy Head and jumping off holding nothing more than party balloons............then only that set of unlikely scenarios could ever come close to the scary ride that is this probable football league relegation decider against rivals Barnet.

As the big kick off draws ever nearer the palpable nervousness in the air around Plainmoor can be cut with a machete ( not a knife as i'm trying to convey the thickness of the nervy air :nod: ), a huddle of fans buzz around outside chatting to each other in that strange accent of theirs, the one that indicates that they could either be a farmer or a fisherman but in all probability one will one will be a bus driver for First Torbay, my perfect job. Drive around all day pulling out on people who have no choice but to stop and let you out as you're in such a big vehicle, sit on my arse all day, be a right mardy tw*t, eat pasties and then pick n mix once the pasties have gone, turn young kids away at 11 o'clock at night just because they are 2p short on the fare and get paid! Hallelujah! :bow: One worker will be a menial unskilled skivvy at KFC and one will be unemployed. I know which one i wouldn't want to be, never liked chicken anyway. :Z

The door to Boots & Laces opens and closes with more regularity than a Gulls defeat, it's heaving inn there (inn, geddit :rofl: ), heaving more than Jordans funbags but without the nipples whilst inside the p*ssheads like Dave, Alex, Trojan and the rest prop up the bar trying to get some Dutch courage from hops and barley and chewing the cud. Told you they're all heavily involved in agriculture!! Oh i said there were no nipples inside, i was wrong. :na:

The ticket office was doing a roaring trade, a stream of 6 people were in the queue to grab their piece of the action as the suggested ticket price slashing for this game didn't materialise, it matters not. Those hardy 6 will be the ones glad they bothered whilst the stay aways will be glad they bothered not to bother regardless. The club shop had a limited number of specially printed t-shirts for this one which had all sold out within an hour of going on sale. One was 'TO BEE OR NOT TO BEE' which ironically went down well with both sets of supporters. One had printed on it, 'WE'RE SH*T AND WE KNOW WE ARE (BUT WE'RE STAYING UP SO F*CK OFF!)' on it and my favourite one which was, 'I WAS THERE WHEN BILLY SCORED' which were removed from sale as the catering lady had run out of teatowels, needed urgent replacements and had argued that she may as well have them as Billy never scores so ultimately they won't shift. Clever lady that one, although she spends her saturday afternoons cooking congealed innards in gravy and making walrus urine flavoured tea and coffee, nothing much gets past her. She's a bit like Pokey.

Back in the dressing room the players file through in jovial mood, Manse and Nico tapping some of the players on the shoulders and looking around, Joey breaking wind and guffawing like a schoolkid, Howe chillin' to some God awful music on the ipod, a day like today calls for some real loud pumping beastliness to get veins throbbing and adrenaline flowing and he's got f*cking Chaka Demus and Pliers on!! Mental! What he should have on IMO is 'MEIN HERZ BRENNT' by Rammstein at f*cking top notch and turn the dressing room into a football based mosh pit. Get that banged on and bingo, they'll want to injure people never mind play football against them! Barnet will only have 7 players left at the end and they will have a varied array of minor abrasions even then.

Suddenly Knill belied his mild mannered persona and forgot the 'life is cool, be calm' message that the squished squirrel revealed to him on that fateful cycle ride. He quivered and trembled and Chris Brass knew some sh*t was about to happen, and it wasn't Billy Bodin about to be introduced as a sub. :~D Knill was vexed and about to explode. The players just kept on messing about and Knill was in schoolteacher mode, Downes sat down and got out a copy of Big Boobs Bonanza and began perusing the hi def pictures of enlarged glands, actually i've had some of those since January but obviously they were in my neck as i've had glandular fever. To be honest though i've got t*ts as well if we're being straight down the line, i probably could be photographed for that mag but i'd probably be too hairy. I'm like Chewbacca! AND i'm a yorkshireman too so we'd be able to communicate with each other no doubt. We both release a series of audible but undecipherable grunts and noises which pass as conversation but what nobody else has a prayer of understanding. :-o

Anyway, the jugs came out and some of the other lads gathered round to take in this visual knocker fest, it beats looking at Ian Morris in the centre pages of the matchday programme i suppose. Just as the players were becoming aroused at this Knill let out an almighty outburst,

"Put that filth away Aaron!! We've got the most important match of the season just minutes away and you're sat their looking at some mammaries! It's a f*cking joke and those women are overweight anyway, that's why their boobydoobies are so big! They can't stop eating!" :@

"They are supposed to be overweight Alan, it's a plumpers mag" replied Downes. :no:

"Friggin' plumpers! What are they? Fans of Plumpton Athletic in the East Sussex amateur football league?! Never heard nothing so ridiculous, they're obese blubberdolls who can't find work and are so idle that all they need to is get them out and open their legs and it's free money!" shouted Knill slowly edging forward to catch a glimpse of the offending magazine.

"She's alright that one there with the brown hair" said an interested Alan.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Oh and don't forget to read Nickgulls excellent match preview on the main site page when he's put it up this week. Especially for all you knowledgable football aficionado's out there.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Oh and i thought i'd get the thread up bang early as i know this game is a whopper and you'll all want to discuss it and so this is the place to do it. :~D
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Succinct as always Andy.

I am aiming to put this game to the back of my mind up until Saturday morning. If I think about it too much, not only will I not enjoy my week, but my head is likely to explode. This is a massive game, in the top 3 in terms of importance during my 16 years of supporting the Gulls I would suggest. We simply must win. We can't afford to go into a long journey to Morecambe, or a last day derby with the Gas, chasing the pack.

I have flown the positivity flag for the majority of the season, I realise this makes me look like a right dicky's doo-dah as we sit in such a perilous position. Naivety, blindness, pride, call it what you like I am probably guilty of all three, but in my defence there is no way that this group of players should be in the position they are, I maintain that they are better than joint 23rd on goal difference.

It has been a terrible season, it has pushed me to my limits, I have been to too many matches I simply haven't enjoyed or my team have performed like walking coma cases, coupled with the management and board bumbling from one catastrophe to another. Plenty of people are accountable for this malaise and I can only hope fans' questions will be answered in due course. However, the next three is not the time to ask them, the previous 43 games are now irrelevant and the season comes down to the next 270 minutes (plus a fair bit of injury time)

Talk of reducing the ticket prices will not help in my opinion, we only need the people who want to be there, the people who understand the importance of the occasion, the people who are going to sing loud and proud about the club they love. I doubt reducing prices would actually attract the extra 2,000, but even if it did, would they actually add extra support, or merely be statues watching what will be a tense, nervy lower league six pointer?

Discussion about line ups and formations is useless, it is not something we can control, and not something worth arguing about nor getting het up about in our current situation. The eleven that is chosen needs our full support and not one howl of derision that has sadly become common place around Plainmoor. I have probably enjoyed perhaps 5 or so home games this season because of the sheer amount of vitriol emanating from the terraces, this has to stop on Saturday. Leave the inquests until after the summer, get behind the team.

Leave your phones at home, the only match that matters is the one unfolding in front of your eyes. If we keep winning we will stay up, all other matches are irrelevant and updates from elsewhere only add to the nervous tension around the ground. Mr PA will tell us (unless you're on the popside and can't hear) the all important scores at half time and full time when we will have sufficient breaks from focusing all our energies on getting behind the lads on the pitch.

I can't bring myself to imagine losing this match, I think it might well be it for us if we do. The realism of the situation is that nothing less than six points from our next two matches will do, we have to go into the Rovers match ahead of the pack. I am reaching into my bag of endless positivity once more to suggest that we can get those six points.

Time to strap ourselves in one. more. time.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

So whilst Alan is reaching into his big pocket to pull out a rabbit, you can at the same time reach into Ben's big bag of endless positivity to pull out another one! :bow: :lol: Two rabbits, diddle ee did did ee. :lol:
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Bad news Andy, we have Stagecoach in the bay not Firstbus. ;P

Oh, and if you think Rhyl is full of Scousers you clearly haven't spent much time in Torquay!

As for this game, it's pretty simple, if we win we'll stay up, anything less and we won't. No pressure then!
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Jerry wrote:Bad news Andy, we have Stagecoach in the bay not Firstbus. ;P

Oh, and if you think Rhyl is full of Scousers you clearly haven't spent much time in Torquay!

As for this game, it's pretty simple, if we win we'll stay up, anything less and we won't. No pressure then!

Yes Ellacombe is like Liverpool without Anfield.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

this game is looking more vital by the second!!

how will the south devon public react, their usual apathy i imagine, in an ideal world there'd be over 4k in the ground and a delayed kick off as the one turnstile opened for the pop side is snowed under

in reality it'll be the usual 2205 inc over 200 from barnet
still keeping the faith
gurneygibbs23
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: jean pierre simb

Post by gurneygibbs23 »

Would normally agree but isnt the 2 for 1 ticket deal in place for this?

this is a huge game. desperately need the win. Lets hope Poke is back, the defence doesnt make stupid mistakes and the midfield keep the ball and the forwards do the buisness.
dreams...
al roxzar
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: danny stevens

Post by al roxzar »

Alan Knill,played 11,won2,drawn3,lost6,win 18.18%,sacked by Rotherham and Scunthorpe,we would be better of with Alan Partridge,ha ha
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

:lol:

I don't know about AP keeping us up but i know he can make pigs smoke and get a can of fanta at 3 in the morning. :~D
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

If ever we needed three points, it's this game.

If we can match our first half performance from the Gills game I think we'll win. Anything less than that and I fear for our football league status.

Going to be edgy but 2-1 gulls.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

We are not alone in losing a loan player. Mid-fielder Ross Jenkins returned to Watford after playing five times for Barnet, scoring once.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

nickbrod wrote:We are not alone in losing a loan player. Mid-fielder Ross Jenkins returned to Watford after playing five times for Barnet, scoring once.
shame.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

1-2
The gulls are going up