George Allen

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
teignmouth54
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: robin stubbs

George Allen

Post by teignmouth54 »

I was very sorry to learn that former Torquay United left back, George Allen, passed away in his sleep on 13 July 2016.

He joined Torquay from Birmingham City in January 1962 and was a regular member of the first team until the end of the 1964/65 season, when he retired from league football and joined Bideford Town.

As I began watching Torquay United in 1962, I saw many of his games and he was an excellent left back. He had a touch of class and was a composed defender.

I remember the F A Cup tie against Barnet in November 1963, when goalkeeper Terry Adlington was injured and played as a forward in the second half, scoring once in the 6-2 victory. As there were no substitutes in those days, George took Adlington’s place in goal.

In the classic cup tie against Spurs the following season, George Allen had to mark the twenty year old outside right Jimmy Robertson, who played for Scotland against Wales in October 1964. Robertson’s main assets were his speed and directness, and it was a rare experience to see George Allen troubled by an opponent, albeit an international winger.

George Allen made 134 league appearances for Torquay. He did not score a goal but at that time full backs were strictly defenders.

I attach a copy of the article which appeared in the Birmingham Mail.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/f ... e-11628191

I can find no mention of George Allen’s death on this site or any other related site, which is a shame.

I only learned of his death when someone decided to place a copy of his funeral order of service for sale on eBay for £9.99!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Like Alan Smith, George Allen has an honoured place in our club's pantheon. He was the regular full back when I first went to Plainmoor and remained so until his retirement from league football. Of course I was there at the Spurs match and he, like the rest of the team, played superbly. While not as memorable a figure in the defensive line as, say 'The Beast' (Colin Bettany), the great Reg Wyatt, or - in later years - Bill Kitchener, he nevertheless laid the foundations for what was to become United's golden period. To lose two great United players in a week is distressing.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

There was a write-up in the Herald Express and a minute's silence was held at one of our matches (it might have been the WBA friendly). As Wivel has posted, it is sad to lose two players from the 1960s golden age for TUFC in such a short space of time.