Hargreaves

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Hargreaves

Post by BayGull »

Sure I saw him in Bristol yesterday afternoon - does anyone know what he is doing now, is he still carrying out gardening work? :)
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

Nothing as far as I know, except getting paid a good wage for zero work.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Still upset how he bigged himself up on Spotlight prior to then just become another "in it for what I can get" merchant.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Was he an 'in it for what he could get' merchant?

He is getting paid for what he is no doubt, contractually obliged to receive. It didn't work out for him, as we all hoped, as manager here but then seeing the state the club is said to have been left in, perhaps it would have been difficult to have done better - or perhaps not. Regardless, I bear him no ill-will.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock

Post by torq2u »

His legendary status as a player is still intact. No ill feeling for trying to do what he was appointed to by a naive Board in panic mode.

(But I still hope he finds a new allotment and moves on soon).
TUST member 200 ;-)
Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

I believed in Hargreaves - character, role model, plus coaching skills. He signed some good players, but it didn't prove enough. I couldn't see that he had developed any of the players; his selections were occasionally counter-productive, and he was tactically limited. I hope he can get another coaching role and he may get another management job sometime.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

So inept. So hope he can find another job and save the club so much money !!!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Dutchgull wrote:So inept. So hope he can find another job and save the club so much money !!!

Substitute the word hamstrung for inept and I would agree with you.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Southampton Gull wrote: Substitute the word hamstrung for inept and I would agree with you.
Me too. And dare I mention that Mr Cox is of course even more hamstrung..? :)
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Gullscorer wrote: Me too. And dare I mention that Mr Cox is of course even more hamstrung..? :)
Did Hargreaves have any more money to spend? Obviously the wage budget was bigger but a huge chunk of it had already been assigned to existing rubbish. After Hargreaves had identified positions and areas he wanted to fill did he have any more money per player to spend than Cox? Or did he have even less?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

That's a good point. On the other hand, Mr Cox does not appear to have any more of a budget, ostensibly even less, even though the 'existing rubbish' has now left the club. What is more certain, though, is that Hargreaves' chances of success would have been, and Cox's would be, considerably improved with access to more workable budgets..
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Assuming the that Hargreaves and Cox's budgets are similar in the amount of hard cash available to spend - to discount the fact that last season's budget was hampered by the incumbent wage bill - I think the Paul Cox has shown the benefit of employing a manager with experience in those circumstances.

Hargreaves was a mistake.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Young, Bowman, Briscoe, Ajala and MacDonald were good signings. Richards was decent for a trialist. It was the top half of the wage bill that let us down, performance wise. The under performance from Hargreaves wasn't as a result of bad signings but what happened afterwards.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Yeah it's important to remember that the players we signed under Hargreaves were actually pretty good, and the calibre was certainly of a top 6 style. It was the mismanagement and lack of a good base from our players that got relegated that let us down.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14