Deano: Director of Kick and Rush?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
notexactlyshakespe
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Larry Baxter

Deano: Director of Kick and Rush?

Post by notexactlyshakespe »

First, congratulations to Dean Edwards for leading a new consortium into a position which guarantees football at Plainmoor next season. After so many years in the cloakroom, it must be a joy to have made it to the kitchen. Let's hope his recipes don't empty the restaurant.

Like many others who have seen owners come and go, I have, during the sixty years I've been attending matches, home and away, supporting the club through thick and thin, been hoping the club would enter a phase of more broad-based ownership through some such outfit as the Supporters' Trust. The current board should obtain the backing of TUST. There's not really much choice.

Disappointingly, the rhetoric which has accompanied the takeover does not augur well for the club under the new regime. 'No more namby pamby' sadly implies a return, not to the eighties as Edwards implies but to the mindless, turgid approach of Juan Knill. If it were a return to the eighties we might hope for the spirit of 'Back to the Future', whose message was respect and fun. Instead, I fear a return to 'Jurassic Park'.

If I want to see a ball booted upfield and players knocked over like bowling pins, I'll be off up the road to Sandy Park, or even check out the more affordable Tics at the Rec.

The reason those of us who chose the round ball code as youngsters prefer football is because of the artistry, athleticism, speed and vision it encourages; the reason modern coaches like Chris Hargreaves are succeeding (viz Eddie Howe at Bournemouth) is because they value skill and respect their players. Recall Hargreaves from gardening leave immediately. Unfortunately, defensive coach, Lee Hodges, has proved to be not up to the job at this level so he need not put away his spade just yet but Ken Veysey has a really good record in bringing out the best from his charges and deserves to return from the allotment.

Support grows when teams play well under positive leadership, success comes when confidence grows as gates grow. Let's hope Deano can look beyond the unambitious horizon he has suggested and recall the spirit of Wembley where I and my sons saw him score two important goals for United against Bolton and Blackpool.
Last edited by notexactlyshakespe on 16 Jun 2015, 17:14, edited 2 times in total.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Hi Chris - are you tired of digging the garden already?
If you are not Chris and a proper supporter then take this on board and inwardly digest.

Hargreaves isn't succeeding he is a fecking liability of a manager. He has had his chance and was found wanting. As for Veysey - well he couldn't coach his first team keeper out of making the same mistake's every week.

Give Edwards and co a chance before you start moaning. If we are still getting beat by part timers every week then fine but only time will tell if we are any better but if results improve then it won't matter a jot what style of hoofball we are playing.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I believe the remarks about the "return to the eighties" was ensuring we have players who want to play for the club, who aren't afraid in getting stuck in and tackling, who aren't afraid of getting hurt and who are definitely afraid of what the half time team talk may be after playing 45 minutes of drivel. Footballers are bloody pathetic in modern day football. They get the easy life of playing 90 minutes, but what Deano said is absolutely true, being a footballer is much more than that. This will benefit the club greatly.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
notexactlyshakespe
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Larry Baxter

Post by notexactlyshakespe »

I'm certainly not moaning, Brucie, simply reacting to Dean Edwards' manifesto. I, too, hope that he's not as good as his word because people will not pay good money to watch rubbish as Alan Knill's time in charge proved. A true supporter asks questions rather than behave as turnstile fodder.

Added in 6 minutes 47 seconds:
Well, dannyrvtufc4life, are you sure that the 'return to the eighties' comment is anything more than an old pro looking back at his own playing days through rose-tinted glasses before embarking upon a less than illustrious management career?
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

It never takes long for some to be negative. :devil:

How about keeping quiet and letting the new board get on with the job.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

notexactlyshakespe wrote:I'm certainly not moaning, Brucie, simply reacting to Dean Edwards' manifesto. I, too, hope that he's not as good as his word because people will not pay good money to watch rubbish as Alan Knill's time in charge proved.
Perhaps you should look at the attendance figures before making a sweeping generalisation?
The only time crowds dropped below 2000 were after Knill was sacked. As for last season, under the Hargreaves brand of flowing attractive football, more gates were under 2000 than over it. Feel free to check the attendance figures if you doubt it.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Burnhamgull wrote:It never takes long for some to be negative. :devil:

How about keeping quiet and letting the new board get on with the job.
:goodpost:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Nothing in life is certain, so whatever it takes to win us games and points and promotion will bring in the crowds, is alright by me.
Boring kick and rush (or artistry + athleticism + speed + vision) +wins + points = big crowds + promotion.
Artistry + athleticism + speed + vision (or boring kick and rush) + draws and defeats = low attendances + relegations + administration.
My point being that the only important thing is promotion, regardless of how we get there. Plus perhaps a great FA Cup run.
(That's two important things)..!! :-D
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Without them we would not have any football to watch. I too have worries about some of Deano's comments but I am happy to reserve judgment and stay positive.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

If unattractive football means good results, and a higher chance of getting out of this division (ideally up), then I wouldn't mind paying to watch it.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

notexactlyshakespe wrote: The reason those of us who chose the round ball code as youngsters prefer football is because of the artistry, athleticism, speed and vision it encourages; the reason modern coaches like Chris Hargreaves are succeeding (viz Eddie Howe at Bournemouth) is because they value skill and respect their players. Recall Hargreaves from gardening leave immediately. Unfortunately, defensive coach, Lee Hodges, has proved to be not up to the job at this level so he need not put away his spade just yet but Ken Veysey has a really good record in bringing out the best from his charges and deserves to return from the allotment.
Oh please !! The only thing Chris Hargreaves was succeeding at, was being the 4th worst manager in our club history, with just little more effort he could have passed Cornforth and Kubick that's how close it was.

Athleticism, agreed, after all regardless of the level we play at, we employ professional footballers. So why did CH consistently field a team with one player in it, who was, well, fat, and others border line over weight, the entire team was unfit, where was the total football under Hargreaves ? I most have gone the wrong ground, all I saw, was Downes HOOF, Richards HOOF,, and a team not capable of completing a pass longer than 3 yards, with the exception of Luke Young.

The only coach I have any sympathy for is Kenny Veysey, and very good keeper coach, saw him work many a time, and given long and loyal service to the club, unfortunately for Kenny with the likely hood of only two keepers next season, probably no need for a keeper coach.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: :goodpost:
I agree with Burnhamgull about letting the new board get on with the job, but I did have to laugh at you, supes, in agreeing with him - especially given the lack of time you afforded Greavsie in his role....you were on his case even before his appointment!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

As for the interview and rhetoric coming from Dean Edwards, firstly it should be seen, and is not hard to work out, a lot of what Dean said was in a "figure of speech" Dean Edwards clearly does not want people at the club, who would actually, for real kick their granny, and talking about the 1980's, he's clearly talking about mental strength, spirit and desire, that he seems to think is missing in so many young players coming through today.

As for the 'No more namby pamby' well hurray for that, long held opinion of mine, and posted it from time to time, sick and tired of watching other teams supporters celebrating promotion or avoiding relegation on our ground, while we've either missed or gone down ourselves.

Fed up to the back teeth of looking at League 1 and 2, littered with clubs who 20 years ago were the flower pot league, while we're deservedly, where we are . Our club is a soft touch, never forgotten queuing up for tickets for the Stevenage play-off final, with our fans complaining why Stevenage fans could buy tickets for which section wanted to go in, and then a voice pipes up from the back of the ticket office; well Stevenage have broken the rules laid down for the ticket sales, really, well just how naughty was that.

Dean Edwards and Steve Breed along with the consortium have shown more passion, desire and fight for this football club in a week, than I've seen in years, stand up and take a :bow: they have my support.
Formerly known as forevertufc
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Scott Brehaut wrote: I agree with Burnhamgull about letting the new board get on with the job, but I did have to laugh at you, supes, in agreeing with him - especially given the lack of time you afforded Greavsie in his role....you were on his case even before his appointment!!
And???

Obviously the new board agree.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

forevertufc wrote:As for the interview and rhetoric coming from Dean Edwards, firstly it should be seen, and is not hard to work out, a lot of what Dean said was in a "figure of speech" Dean Edwards clearly does not want people at the club, who would actually, for real kick their granny, and talking about the 1980's, he's clearly talking about mental strength, spirit and desire, that he seems to think is missing in so many young players coming through today.

As for the 'No more namby pamby' well hurray for that, long held opinion of mine, and posted it from time to time, sick and tired of watching other teams supporters celebrating promotion or avoiding relegation on our ground, while we've either missed or gone down ourselves.

Fed up to the back teeth of looking at League 1 and 2, littered with clubs who 20 years ago were the flower pot league, while we're deservedly, where we are . Our club is a soft touch, never forgotten queuing up for tickets for the Stevenage play-off final, with our fans complaining why Stevenage fans could buy tickets for which section wanted to go in, and then a voice pipes up from the back of the ticket office; well Stevenage have broken the rules laid down for the ticket sales, really, well just how naughty was that.

Dean Edwards and Steve Breed along with the consortium have shown more passion, desire and fight for this football club in a week, than I've seen in years, stand up and take a :bow: they have my support.

:goodpost: