A full squad for next season?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

A full squad for next season?

Post by Dazza »

We seem to me at least a fair number of players away from a finished squad. I do hope we have irons in the fire beyond the six trialists. We may well find an answer or two from these six but history suggests that gems coming from that box are few and far between. I do hope CH can continue to find further players of the calibre he has been able to talk into the club in the past month particularly in midfield and at full back.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Midfielder Paddy Cregg (on trial) seems more than capable if we get him signed up. Angus Macdonald (also on trial) can fill the third centre-half role adequately. CH must believe one of the other two midfielders here trialling can fill the cover for Cregg and if Harding stays I suspect he will be cover for Young.

I also suspect (guess!) the left-back spot is sorted with a season loan of Cargill and perhaps an offer for Cruise as competition for this spot.

We need a right back (but perhaps we cannot afford to replace Tonge unless he leaves so he might have to be the starter unless we can move him on!). It seems Thompson is being given the chance as back-up and Macdonald also has some experience in this role whilst at Salisbury.

Hawley and Benyon seem to be surplus to requirements but unless there are developments it is likely we will be forced to require them to play some role next year.

It seems to me we will only recruit additional players from those on trial if we can lose those who are listed first - which is unlikely considering how they performed last year.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I wouldn't see us signing too many more players to be quite honest (unless we can move any of those that are already here)
Cureton doesn't seem an option to me as we have too many strikers. If Downes stays then we are covered in central defence. MacDougal for all his limitations could probably do a job as third choice in that position.
I would expect that Hargreaves may have one or two loans lined up, and we won't see those coming until the season is about to start.
Cargill may go to a league 2 club perhaps.
The squad seems solid enough and we would presumably be looking at a top ten finish with play offs minimum. Thats more to do with the standard of the opposition than what we have on offer though.
Its really difficult to guage though - you would surely think we would be looking at six points with Gateshead and Welling - lose those two and god knows where we will end up.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

That would be Gateshead who finished 3rd last year and made the playoff final? Christ knows what sort of state you're going to get yourself into when we lose at home to Dartford without having a shot on goal...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes a team who finished third and couldn't manage to attract more than an average gate of more than 700 in the process. Like it or lump it we are a bigger team than they are. It might be hard to accept that we Torquay are a actually a bigger club than some of our opponents but believe it or not its true.
If we are challenging for promotion next year we will most likely attract crowds which are three times as large as Gateshead.
So I am not expecting us to lose our first game - had enough of losing last season. No more excuses thanks.