Torquay United v Scunthorpe United - 5/4/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Torquay United v Scunthorpe United - 5/4/14

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Ok Chris, fair's fair. Can you just go for broke in this and at least give us something to be entertained with. This means going thin at the back, flooding the middle with our most creative players even though there are none and dispensing with the usual running around with no apparent motive mob that play at the minute. Get players forward, play Bodin up top or not at all and play Coulthirst from the start and all the other players more likely to get us a goal. It excludes Hawley for your information.

It's not game up yet but if we play like we have been doing since Chris took over we will lose this game. Please do not do this Chris. If we opt for a more dangerous, risky approach then we will still lose the game but we may lose it 4-2 having a real good go and providing some entertainment at last for the long suffering Plainmoor public whilst getting a bit of respect back for at least having the guts to give it a crack.

It's all there for you in black and white to do as you please Chris, there is nothing to lose whatsoever. EVERYONE thinks we will lose this game anyway AND play crap so we may as well lose it and play well. I know that come 3pm on Saturday we'll have a 4-4-2 with the same old faces in the same old positions and it won't work but maybe, maybe I will be surprised? I hope so, for the fans who will be there. Try it Chris, the fans deserve this at the very least. A free pint won't cut it anymore. Mathematically it is still possible to survive, a couple of wins and we'd be right back in there to have a last crack of the whip but we simply aren't going to beat a side like Scunthorpe playing like we do every week. It's just not going to happen unless we get lucky with a few refereeing decisions.

If you must go 4 at the back then fine but just get rid of players who don't create like Harding, Mansell, Lathrope and fill in the gaps with players that can. If they can't tackle then they shouldn't be walking onto a football pitch.

I think there may be a fair few from North East Lincs making the trip and it gives them an opportunity to rub inadequacy and complacency in our faces. Wycombe managed a draw up there the other day, says it all about us really. Draws are ok for Wycombe but not for us. We might very well hang on to a resilient draw if we're lucky but it's no good ultimately. I'd rather lose. We need wins and we need one on Saturday. Tackle the issue head on and DEMAND this victory, YEARN for this victory and EARN this victory.

COME ON YOU YELLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Last edited by AustrianAndyGull on 31 Mar 2014, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

What I would also do if we lose this game and play crap if I were Chris is to take on board what a lot of fans have been saying about the players either not being good enough or taking the piss and I'd drop the lot against Bristol Rovers. If the players aren't good enough or don't want it enough then they shouldn't play. We'll be down anyway if we don't beat Scunny so I'd just say before the Scunny game to the players looking for new contracts that if they don't give me blood then they can forget it even if they wanted to sign again. Any that didn't wouldn't play for me again and I'd bring in loanees from local clubs and youth team players and give them an opportunity whilst emphasising there is no pressure. If it's the players fault then why play them then? Play the loanees, players who haven't really been given a fair crack and youth team players and see what happens. So we get stuffed, so what. It's something that at least has been tried and looked at. Those of you not apportioning any blame on CH but blaming the players can have no argument with this as according to you it's all the players fault so therefore as they have had more than enough time to rectify this situation and failed then it's time to give others a chance no matter how inexperienced. Some would say it would take a stupid man to try this but I'd say what is there to lose? It would take a brave man to do this. We need young players coming through the club that aren't going to be sidelined at the expense of experienced but abysmal 'professionals'. They need to be told that they will be given opportunitites and if they do ok they will get more.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

same old story....

Torquay United 0-1 Scunthorpe. :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

two great posts andy! we all know that that is what we need to do, throw off the shackles, a draws now good and the goal difference is so bad that its not gonna save us. we need three points or nothing
still keeping the faith
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Just one quick point of order, I believe this game is on Sat 5th.... :) As for the game itself, yes, nothing to lose, have a pop at them, and get the ball down and pass it, personally do not think I will going to this game however, depends on my lad, Kingsteignton have a cup semi-final, if he's in the team will going there instead.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Cheers Dave! :lol:

Oh and Bix, what happened to you at York mate? :-/
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

Yep, may as well go for it and at least give those brilliant travelling gulls some excitement and who knows they may witness something amazing,

er, i don't know why but i'm gonna go for a late 1-0 win for scunny - just a feeling ...
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

You just know though, that if the boot was on the other foot (I.e we had the unbeaten record, and Scunny were bottom) we'd lose this!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

We haven't kept a clean sheet since the rail line has been closed. As it re-opens on Friday I am predicting that this is the turning point! 3-0 to the Gulls to be the springboard for 6 straight wins and a finish as the top side in Devon! :nod:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Nice one Jerry, what with this and Sam's post guess the cider is flowing well tonight.. (D) :) Mind you hope your right.
Formerly known as forevertufc
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Last throw of a very worn out dice. Surely just go for broke and please drop hawley. Possibly manse and nicho as well. We are hanging by a thin thread, need to take risks and see what happens
Lucy
FavGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by FavGull »

We'll win this one comfortably, for no less than three reasons:

1. Scunny's amazing unbeaten run and elevated league position, just have a feeling this is the way things work out for us

2. I am in Devon on Saturday, but not for this game, so we will get our best result of the season just to spite me.

3. A comfortable win against a team going up automatically will actually make us all even more depressed (especially as we will probably amass approximately 2 points and 1 goal in the 5 matches after Saturday).

3-0
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

FavGull wrote:We'll win this one comfortably, for no less than three reasons:

1. Scunny's amazing unbeaten run and elevated league position, just have a feeling this is the way things work out for us

2. I am in Devon on Saturday, but not for this game, so we will get our best result of the season just to spite me.

3. A comfortable win against a team going up automatically will actually make us all even more depressed (especially as we will probably amass approximately 2 points and 1 goal in the 5 matches after Saturday).

3-0

another p155head posting tonight.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

DelWTS
New Signing
New Signing

Post by DelWTS »

Both teams have everything to play for. But myself and the wts team
Believe we will upset Scunthorpe and win. 3-1.
A tough battle. And every player that should be out there giving 100%
Can't wait for this match. Still believe we can stay up.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

let's be realistic here, we haven't got a chance in hell of beating one of the form teams in the league! they've got paddy madden upfront, we've got Benyon. our last 5 games have been must win, the players just aren't up to the job consistently! I'm not even being pessimistic, I'm being realistic!
The gulls are going up