Justin Fashanu

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Justin Fashanu

Post by BayGull »

For those ‘older’ users of this forum, there is a new book out covering the life and times of the late Justin Fashanu, who played for the Gulls during 1991-93, making 41 appearances

Two chapters are dedicated to his spell with Torquay United, with over 100 people having been interviewed to help form the basis of the book.

More information plus ordering details can be found here:

http://www.justinfashanustory.com
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

ive heard them talking about this book on the radio. there were a few interesting stories and anecdotes. it sounds quite good.

there was a lot of talk about fashanu on a thread about gay footballers a few months back, around the time when robbie rogers "came out".

i'll probably get it when "the works" have got it in, they do books a hell of a lot cheaper (yes, i am tight). :~D

anyway, heres the gay footballers thread. -

http://www.torquayfans.com/forum/viewto ... 0ccb003c31
Last edited by chunkygull on 06 Sep 2013, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
robbotufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by robbotufc »

still remember that sad day he took his own life,Torquay were away to Orient that day we had 2,500 fans who traveled to London,we were all shocked that he took his own life only a few miles up the road, very sad day. :'(
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

i remember that, so ironic, we were on the coach going to the game, a few of us were talking about fashanu, because the story about him being on the run was all over the tabloids.

the next day we found out what happened to him in a lock up not far from orients ground where we were playing.

very tragic, so young, he always seemed so carefree and confident, it just shows appearances can be decieving. he obviously had a lot of demons, you always wander that things couldnt have been that bad surely, but nobody knows whats going on in somebodys head, do they.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I remember him scoring and celebrating at the Babbacombe End against Exeter. Their fans had given him abuse all afternoon, it was a great moment.
TUST number 080
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

that was a great moment. they soon shut up when he scored. :~D

i wrote this in the gay footballers thread a few months back -
torquay fans took to him a bit i felt because he had been a big name at one time and it was quite a shock signing. the gay thing just sort of came with it and gained a bit of extra press. he scored the winner against exeter once and i remember a chant about him being a bender. a torquay fan near me who was from an older generation and probably not the open minded type shouted out he may be a bender, but he's our bender, come on justin! so no real problems from our fans point of view.
all credit to him he never seemed to take any notice of the stick he got from opposing supporters, apart from occasionally having a bit of fun with them by giving a little wiggle or waving. god knows what abuse was dished out to him on the pitch by opposing players.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

good article in the herald that sums it up well about fashanu and what happened.

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/D ... story.html