Pre-Season Friendlies

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Pre-Season Friendlies

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Presumably we will have the usual local suspects in our pre-season friendlies with the odd 'big' team making an appearance at Plainmoor. Given the financial situation of the club then i very much doubt we will have any fixtures outside of Devon. Have we EVER had any pre-season fixtures out of the West Country because i certainly can't recall any in 7 years or so?

A visit to Knill's former club Scunny would be most welcome! :~D

I might get to see one then. :goal: :-D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Maybe we could go on a big, flash tour of Italy, then go into administration for the 103rd time in 12 months and not pay for it. Oh wait, no, sorry, Di Canio isn't our manager and we aren't a club full of inveterate cheats, fraudsters and liars from a town made of nothing but cheap concrete and roundabouts...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Said it years ago (but will repeat)... they could catch the steam train down to Kingswear, cross the Dart on a ferry and coach up the hill to play against AFC Dartmouth. A local team that could do with a boost having dropped out of the SWP. Mr Candy might consider it as a nice bit of PR for TUFC. Time it right and there could be lots of grocks in town... although the Yellow Army would fill Longcross plenty. Summers evening fixture. Maybe even play the Navy (Britannia Royal Naval College) or do some training with them?
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Bloggy wrote:Said it years ago (but will repeat)... they could catch the steam train down to Kingswear, cross the Dart on a ferry and coach up the hill to play against AFC Dartmouth. A local team that could do with a boost having dropped out of the SWP. Mr Candy might consider it as a nice bit of PR for TUFC. Time it right and there could be lots of grocks in town... although the Yellow Army would fill Longcross plenty. Summers evening fixture. Maybe even play the Navy (Britannia Royal Naval College) or do some training with them?

What are 'grocks'? :-/
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Holidaymakers you daft northern GR(C)OCK ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Bloggy »

Grockle =
A holidaymaker, or one from out of town. Particularly used in the South of England, generally as a mildly derogatory term.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/wha ... rd-grockle
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

:lol:

As if i'm supposed to know!! :na:

Another South West term used a lot when i worked in Cornwall was 'upcountry'.

Bloody upcountry!! :rofl:
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Bloggy »

Cornish would have said 'emmit'!
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

A local tour, 5 or 6 matches over two weeks would be a good way to attract new fans. Thinking Tiverton, Taunton, Barnstaple, Bideford, WsM and Clevedon, as they would all give us a good game.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Yeah, heard that one as well, bloody weirdo's! :lol:
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

It would be great if we could share a visiting team with Exeter or Plymouth, with Wednesday/Saturday fixtures, this would halve the hotel expenses I can't see Arsenal, Spurs, Villa etc. coming, but we should be able to get a "lower" prem. team. Exeter have got an international airport, I wonder if we could get Ajax, Lille, Dortmann etc. ( too ambitious.......always remember that this is TUFC! ) :red: :red:
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Matches against Torbay Gentlemen, Stratchcarnage and Taste of Dunfermline would be welcomed by me.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Shinnik Yaroslavl would be good.

Crappy 2nd division Russian team (Pavel Pogrebnyak once played there, says it all) and the 'town'* is twinned with Exeter.

*This Russian 'town' has over 600,000 residents.
KentGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Les Lawrence's Afro

Post by KentGull »

How about a game against a couple of this year's cup finalists...*ahem*

Tonbridge Angels (KSC v Charlton Ath - got stuffed 1-7)... and Tunbridge Wells (who graced the hallowed turf at Wembley in the FA Vase Final last weekend - lost 1-2 to Spennymoor in front of an impressive 16k - bear in mind that Spennymoor only brought c.4-5k and Wells normally play in fron of c.150 at the Culverden 'Stadium')...

plus, I live nearby!
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

RussianGull wrote:Shinnik Yaroslavl would be good.

Crappy 2nd division Russian team (Pavel Pogrebnyak once played there, says it all) and the 'town'* is twinned with Exeter.

*This Russian 'town' has over 600,000 residents.
Good Plan!! :clap: :clap: :goodpost: