Match Day Experience

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Match Day Experience

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I understand this isn't at the forefront of everyones minds right now when you think of TUFC, but I just thought it'd be interesting to see what sort of suggestions people have to try and make it more enjoyable. Over the last 12 months it's got very dull, it's felt like a chore having to go to games at times which isn't what it should be. Maybe if we get a list of (sensible) ideas then perhaps the club will look to act on it.

Fire away.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I guess i ve been very critical of this so i will chuck a few ideas to start it off.
The music, its dull, repetitive and wouldnt inspire anything. What about asking the players??
The club shop needs to be addressed with its staff being reminded how to treat potential customers.
The Stewards need to have a lesson on how to dress and be polite. Nearly forgot, to be recruited over the age of 18.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

In al honesty I think the match day experience compares favourably to some other places in the league, I'm thinking Barnet, Accrington, Exeter, Morecambe, AFC Wimbledon, Aldershot. All far worse.

I quite enjoyed watching the highlights of the Rochdale match on the big screen pre-kick-off, I buy the programme every match because it is genuinely worth reading, in fact it was met with national acclaim last season. The food and drink is generally ok and the queues move faster than I can ever remember. Boots and Laces is a pleasant place to spend pre-match, and the club goes to great lengths to ensure it is open at half time. In the summer there is normally a game of football happening on the green outside the stadium, lots of lads have smiles on their faces.

The club has tried every conceivable sales trick to get more bodies through the turnstiles, the apathy of the bay dictates that unless we are winning every match we will never attract more than the 2000 hard core.

As a stadium, Plainmoor is far nicer than some places I have had to endure this season. All under cover, none of it looking likely to crumble or cause Asbestosis, no fire hazards etc.

Any grievances anyone may have would not be an issue had we been pushing for promotion this season.

In my opinion match day atmosphere and experience is so poor because we have played so poorly for most of the season and because it is so cold all the time. Win 4-0 on a hot August afternoon and there is nowhere better to be.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Being away for awhile then coming back, i honeslty feel going down to plainmoor and the experience has improved loads. I do agree with ben with a lot of things he said.

Obviously the football is not brilliant and will put a downer on the day. If we was doing better i doubt many people would moan.
So for me the trip to plainmoor the football aside is better but obviously would like to see the on pitch improve
The Farmers Friend
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by The Farmers Friend »

bengull wrote:In al honesty I think the match day experience compares favourably to some other places in the league, I'm thinking... Exeter.
Pains me to say this, but I'd have to disagree with that one at least.

I live in Exeter, and through some good fortune was in a position to enjoy to some pre-match hospitality at our game there in January.

Whilst there, I sneaked into the St James Centre bar, which is a light and pleasant place, very much a shrine to their club, with a good selection of ales and ciders. A group of supporters from their Trust, I think, also have a table set up on matchdays with two guest ales and a heated unit doing pasties, sausage rolls and pies. As well as obviously giving an even wider choice of drinks, this relieves the pressure (and thus queues) on the main bar and the food outlets inside the ground.

Outside of that is another covered outdoor bar (ideal for smokers, I guess), doing St Austell ales and Thatchers, I think. Next to that is a food bar from Kenniford Farm doing locally produced burgers, sausage baps etc. etc.

We enjoyed a really nice meal with good beer again in their upstairs hospitality area, with Chris Todd putting in an appearance. To be fair, I've no idea how that compares with what's on offer at Plainmoor - corporate hospitality isn't normally my world.

Whilst our programme has improved a lot, I would still say there's is better.

I've lived in Exeter for 17 years, and when I first moved here there wasn't a lot to seperate us and them as football clubs. The decay of the late Bateson years didn't help, and things have definitely moved in the right direction for us since the current board took over, but we (fans and the board) could learn a lot from the way City have worked hard over the last 7-8 years to make themselves central to the community they represent.

None of which changes the fact that their away end is a disgrace.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

That is the difference, we give away fans a portion of Bristow's bench a stand that, at present, would rival any other stand in league two. Exeter city give us a small slab of slippery concrete and a toilet one small poke away from collapse. What is more, we have paid every single penny ourselves to ensure our match day experience is of a decent standard, they had their administration debts paid off and allowed to start again, no wonder they are so quick to try and appease the very people they ripped off little more than 10 years ago.

I had a thoroughly miserable time at St James Park this season (result not included) their fans would have enjoyed Plainmoor far more I would suspect.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Quite enjoyed hearing 'O Fortuna' by Carl Orff from Carmina Burana at West Brom on Saturday prior to the teams running out! Then a bit of Faithless (I think) during half time.

Trying to take my mind off the fact there's a game on in an hour!