Accrington Stanley v Torquay United - 2/3/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Accrington Stanley v Torquay United - 2/3/13

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I'm not going to really say much here as there is so much negativity and doom flying around at the moment, i hardly think a convoluted thread full of put downs about Accrington and moaning about trivia like mine usually are is going to help matters or cheer us up at this time.

There isn't really a lot i can say other than we simply must go to Accrington and not get beaten at the very least otherwise we could be 2nd bottom come 5 o clock. In an ideal world we need to go and win but based on most of our away performances thus far and certainly the last few i've seen, we will be extremely fortunate to come away from the Fraser Eagle Stadium with a convincing effort at goal in the 90 minutes let alone a goal or indeed a win.

I would be absolutely shocked if we somehow put in a performance and nicked a win but that is what we are all hoping happens and so long as it's 11 v 11 we can hang on to that hope. I am feeling a bit better today and i reckon i'll be there for this one and that's all i ( and the other travelling Gulls ) can do, turn up, give support and see what comes of it on the pitch.
I'm not going to make a prediction because i am so desperate for us to get a positive result and i just want to remain positive that we are capable of this despite an avalanche of evidence to the contrary.

Accrington is not a favourite away day for many fans in the best of times so i don't expect too many in the away end for this one given our current plight; however i'm sure that the fans will be fully supportive until the final whistle like they have been on most of the games i have been to this season. I can't really gee up a rallying call for fans to get up to Lancashire and support the team because i can fully understand why they wouldn't want to waste more time, money and energy watching the probable carnage that awaits. I'm only under 2 hours away and i don't want to go either, well i'll explain that a little better. I want to go as i love watching football and it gets me away from the little one for a while but this season i have gone to every game i could physically have got to but out of duty. I can honestly say that i haven't enjoyed any of what i have seen this season and therefore that makes me now not want to go anymore. I'll still go though but it shouldn't be like that and i feel cheated as a fan. As i've said before, i can take defeat but we just don't fight back, we just roll over and give up and when you see that happening on a loop it is natural that it makes you lose interest. In my odd head i've just come to the conclusion that whatever games i go to from now until the end of the season ( Accy, Northampton, Southend, Morecambe) if i accept they are going to be extremely distressing and turgid then it makes it easier. These 12 games are simply about getting enough points on the board to stay safe by whatever means necessary so if we continue our usual showings but somehow manage to eek out a few positive results then that is all that matters. We can have a massive overhaul in the summer and get the juices going once more and the excitement back in the club.

It's a word that we have been unfamiliar with this season - excitement, but WHEN we are safe we can so look forward to a summer of change and it will be so fantastic to see what happens and embark on another season in the football league.

Anyway, like i said, i'm not going to do the usual stuff and i'm sure you'll appreciate it :lol: . I'll sign off by wishing Alan and the players good luck for this one and by letting them know that pound for pound, they are better than the Accrington squad. They now need to prove it.
Last edited by AustrianAndyGull on 01 Mar 2013, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I'll always remember Andy that Accrington a few years ago was the time I unknowingly met you - with you yelling "I hate Accrington it's a f****** s***hole" as we all departed the ground. Golden stuff

That was after a defeat - my record at Accrington is 4 visits, 4 defeats and 3 Torquay red cards. I'm free on Saturday as well, do I go or not.......?
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Jeff wrote:I'll always remember Andy that Accrington a few years ago was the time I unknowingly met you - with you yelling "I hate Accrington it's a f****** s***hole" as we all departed the ground. Golden stuff

That was after a defeat - my record at Accrington is 4 visits, 4 defeats and 3 Torquay red cards. I'm free on Saturday as well, do I go or not.......?

Haha Jeff, yes i remember it well. :lol:

For some, that moment will always be the overriding joyous element of their trips to Accrington! :) Unless we win on saturday of course. Also the weirdest thing ( for the benefit of other people on here ) was that at the next away game at Macc we were stood next to each other on the terrace but obviously i didn't know who you were, i thought you were just a random fan. Then i heard you talking to your mate about that Accy incident and i had to let you know i was the perpretrator and i was stood next to you! Twighlight zone or what!! :clown:

If you're going on saturday Jeff i might revisit the golden moment and do another rendition upon leaving the terrace! :na:

I'm hoping that the Accy fans leave the Ultras and Welcome To Hell flags at home and replace them with one massive banner that says Welcome to Desolation. The surface of the moon has more life on it.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

I'll be there as well. Biggest game of the season so far with Accy being one of our nearest relegation rivals. I also hate going to Accrington. Partly because we never win there and partly because we never actually even play well there. We usually save our worst performance for this fixture which is something we cant afford to do this season. But mainly its a dive and it'll inevitably rain during the game as well. Hopefully we'll have a couple players in but on recent form I cant see past a home win unfortunatley.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

The only time I've been to Accy was the dismal last minute defeat in 07.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

I will be one of the few lost souls wandering the terrace questioning my sanity.

Worst ground in the league, abysmal record there, but the team need all the support they can get.

It will be grim no doubt but always expect the unexpected, travelling in hope more than expectation.

That said, should the unthinkable happens and we lose again, at least I can say I was there when our team made history. A seminal moment, kind of like being at Plainmoor in the mid 90's to witness Scun Thorpe dismantle us 1-8, or sub 1000 league crowds at home.

You have to put up with the very worst to appreciate the very best all the more.

COYY!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

bengull wrote:I will be one of the few lost souls wandering the terrace questioning my sanity.

Worst ground in the league, abysmal record there, but the team need all the support they can get.

It will be grim no doubt but always expect the unexpected, travelling in hope more than expectation.

That said, should the unthinkable happens and we lose again, at least I can say I was there when our team made history. A seminal moment, kind of like being at Plainmoor in the mid 90's to witness Scun Thorpe dismantle us 1-8, or sub 1000 league crowds at home.

You have to put up with the very worst to appreciate the very best all the more.
COYY!

That's the last time i'm standing with you then mate if that's what you think of me! :na: :lol:
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

bengull wrote:I will be one of the few lost souls wandering the terrace questioning my sanity.

COYY!
Exactly this. I get the feeling this could be the smallest amount of fans we've took anywhere in a while. Wouldnt be surprised if it was less than 50.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

we'll get hammered !!
The gulls are going up
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

gullno4 wrote:we'll get hammered !!
Great idea! :)

There's some superb alehouses in that part of the world. ;-)
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

I've been wrong about predictions recently so- We're going to win!!!! :nod:
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by coley in stripes »

If we manage to stop the 'free fall' I'm sure that we will survive. It's a big ask but can be done...Also don't get into the 'points required for survival' senario...The bottom of the table is much closer than normal (like promotion last season). Big effort required Saturday by what we have got, when it could have been a different story....The only positive feature of the present situation seems to be that at least the usuall abusive and insulting 'happy clappy' mob have chilled and maybe are now listening to the people that they were attacking !
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by coley in stripes »

If we manage to stop the 'free fall' I'm sure that we will survive. It's a big ask but can be done...Also don't get into the 'points required for survival' senario...The bottom of the table is much closer than normal (like promotion last season). Big effort required Saturday by what we have got, when it could have been a different story....The only positive feature of the present situation seems to be that at least the usuall abusive and insulting 'happy clappy' mob have chilled and maybe are now listening to the people that they were attacking !
The Farmers Friend
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by The Farmers Friend »

Never been to Accrington for football but went through it a couple of years ago on a special excursion train.

First thing I saw on the outer edge of town was a 70s/80s estate with windows boarded up and a burned out house.

Further along the line a first for me (in this country, anyway): some graffiti of the scrawled white paintbrush variety in Polish. No idea what it said, but the style and exclamation mark at the end suggested it wasn't 'Welcome to the Calder Valley!'

Not long after that we caught up with some local kids. The sight of some vintage 1950s BR rolling stock usual prompts a gawping stare, people fidddling to find camera phones or even a cheery wave. These kids' first reaction was to frantically look for some stones to throw at us.

As we passed over the impressive viaduct, I looked down and saw blackened houses, boarded up shops and the flashing lights of two police cars speeding down the road. And it was raining.

I've been to some places in my time but I then made a mental note never to come to Accrington if I could avoid it.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Only 1,780 at Rochdale for their match with Accy on Tuesday-even worse than our gate. This despite it being a local derby(only 15 miles from Accrington to Rochdale). Don't know how many Accy took,but can't have been many.With support like that they don't deserve to stay up !