Torquay United v Port Vale - 23/2/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Torquay United v Port Vale - 23/2/12

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Well i'm back ladies and gentlemen and Super! Not sure if i can hear groans of derision or howls of delight, either way - sit back, buckle up, get your readers on and enjoy the ride. There will be no racism, sexism, accringtonism or lingism on here i can guarantee. It's a home game so some of the usual things will be missing such as the town of the day but i'm sure it will be back with our next away game which is errrrrr....................Accrington! Oh praise the Lord! :bow: :clap:

Second in the table a good 23 points ahead of us, second highest away scoring record in the division, second best away record in the league, a goal difference of 31 compared to our -4, Tom Pope way ahead of the scoring charts on 27 in all comps, 13 clear of our Rene and for a team who rarely string a couple of bad results together ( they haven't won in their last 2 so 3 is unheard of ), you could be forgiven for thinking that saturday's visitors to TQ1 would fancy their chances of leaving the South West with all 3 points.

We all know i am referring to Port Vale and for them, promotion looks a formality with a 7 point and game in hand cushion over 4th placed Burton Albion. The Burslem men will look to take advantage of the complete Benny Hill show that has been Torquay United for the last 3 months or so and on paper this task looks easier than Katie Price, however as i have said so, so many times before - THE GAME ISN'T PLAYED ON PAPER! Just to add though than whenever i have said that we've lost so someone give me a sheet of A4 and a football NOW!!!! :rules:

What we have to bear in mind is that we have a new boss in charge, albeit temporarily, and although we all expect a good hammering in this game nobody can be certain given the 'new boss' factor. The lads could quite easily play like Brazil and out of nowhere produce a result totally out of the blue. Stranger things have happened including Gazza admitting that he has a 'chicken bucket' addiction and that he only drank to mask this embarrassing fact. Also Jedward being able to make money despite being the epitome of annoyance, totally talentless AND being body doubles for Bananas in Pyjamas.

The arrival of former Scunny boss Alan Knill could herald a change in fortunes for the men in yellow and why shouldn't it begin on saturday? I've got to be completely honest and say i'd be shocked if it did but who knows? For me, a draw in this would represent a huge achievement and i'd bite your hand off for it now but we can safely say that the real work starts at Plainmoor on tuesday evening against Wycombe Wanderers. Did i mention i was going to that game? Well, i'm going to that game. £200 nearly all in it is costing me and did i tell you that i'm actually going to that game? Anyway, i'm going to that game so just incase you nipped into the kitchen to put the kettle on or had to go upstairs for a plop or let the cats out to go and defecate on next doors garden then may i say that i'm going to that game. So just to reiterate for those that didn't get it 7th time around, i'm going to that game. 8-]

We are all guessing what side Knill will put out or indeed what formation and so i guess amongst all this doom and gloom comes a little chink of light, a tiny morsel of excitement about going down to Plainmoor once again with a sense of anticipation and wondering what to expect. If Taylor were still in charge then the gate would be low, everyone would have expected a dire game and a heavy loss and they would have been right. Now we just don't know. I'm not suggesting we have suddenly improved in a few days to the extent we can beat probably the best team in the division IMO, all i'm saying is that anything is possible now. Barnet drew 0-0 with them at Underhill and Morecambe beat them 1-0 at Vale Park so why can't we beat them?

Vale have taken the league by storm and under the steady astute stewardship of Micky Adams they have put aside their off field issues by mounting a serious and sustained challenge for the league 2 title. They have Tom Pope who we all know about, tricky midfielder Jennison Myrie-Williams who is their 2nd top scorer on 9 goals in all comps, Ashley Vincent who has 8 goals, Louis Dodds is on 7 along with striker Ben Williamson and they have a host of scorers on 4 or less.

Defensively they have 2011's player of the year John McCombe, ex Blue nose Darren Purse, Adam Yates, captian Doug Loft who is a superb player IMO, Joe Davis and Welshman Richard Duffy. Goalkeeping duties fall on the shoulders of ex Shrewsbury and Preston stopper Chris Neal.

In midfield they boast Jennison Myrie-Williams, Ashley Vincent, Rob Taylor, Chris Shuker, Sam Morsy and Trinidad & Tobago international Chris Birchall who played for his country in the 2006 World Cup in Germany. In attack they have signed Lee Hughes who not only was convicted of death by dangerous driving in 2003 but also he ran away from the scene. It goes without saying that if Torquay had signed him then i would no longer be a supporter of our club until his departure and i'm sure a few of you may hold the same opinion. He has scored 4 goals in 6 appearances. They also have Louis Dodds, Ben Williamson and obviously Tom Pope.

I'm sure Vale will bring with them a healthy following so perhaps we will open the away terrace to them for this one. Although Vale have a varied selection of knobheads amongst their fanbase, some of which i encountered during my visit to Vale Park earlier in the season, the majority of fanbase are friendly and Vale will always have a place in my memory. Not because i love the place, that would be silly as anyone that has been to Burslem would have to be certifiably insane to think that but because they are the team i first saw play at Plainmoor in my inaugural matchday experience. It was the back end of last season and we won 2-1. John McCombe thundered one in for them in the first half but we cam back with 2nd half goals from a Howe penalty after their man was sent off and then Jarvis bagged the winner. In addition, as i had been to Vale Park that season for our 0-0 draw it meant that Port Vale were the first team i had seen Torquay play both home and away in the same season. Magical days, i'd still rather win the lottery but magical nonetheless. Also magical is the fact that i have seen us play Vale 4 times, 1 home and 3 away and i have yet to see us lose.

The one thing i am glad about is it looks like Vale are going up, not because i want them to do well but because i've been to Vale Park the last 3 seasons, it's getting boring now, the ground is pants, the view is poor, it's always clinically depressing in the away end as it's always dark. Whenever i go i have to load up on serotonin so i don't cease to function. There is nothing in the immediate vicinity other than a bookies and they charge a fiver to park. It will be nice to not have to go again next season and enjoy Hartlepool instead. ( or Tamworth should we be relegated ).

Vale suffered a 1-0 reverse at home to Morecambe in their last game and here is the line up:

1. Chris Neal (gk)
2. Adam Yates
3. Darren Purse
4. Richard Duffy
5. Daniel Jones
6. Doug Loft ( captain )
7. Jennison Myrie-Williams
8. Ryan Burge
9. Ashley Vincent
10. Tom Pope
11. Lee Hughes

SUBS: Rob Taylor UNUSED, Chris Shuker ( on for Yates on 78 mins ), Sam Morsy UNUSED, Chris Birchall UNUSED, Louis Dodds UNUSED, Calvin Andrew ( on for Vincent on 81 mins ), Ben Williamson ( on for Hughes on 69 mins ).

The referee for this one is Keith Hill but i'm not sure football league rules allow individuals to be referees and also managers of teams in the same league. I'm sure Rochdale's chairman wouldn't be happy about it either. :~D

His assistants are Mr Richard Hulme and Mr Richard Huxtable with the 4th official being Mr Michael Mullarkey.

All i can say to the people of Torquay and surrounds is get your arses down to Plainmoor for this one, give your full support, welcome Alan Knill into the fold and lets get something moving at the club. Don't expect miracles in this one and go expecting defeat, you may end up pleasantly surprised but if not, it is what you expected right? We need all hands on deck now and i've even had a word with Captain Birdseye to get his nautical chuff down to Plainmoor for this but he says he'll be far too busy at a fish processing plant in Immingham gutting a tonne of Gurnard. His loss. :nod:

My head says a heavy defeat in this but my heart just hopes we can somehow miraculously get a win. I'm going with my heart, 2-1 Torquay. No messing. Let's have it lads come on!!!!! :scarf: :scarf:

Anyone interested in their fans forum can visit:

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/forum/index.php

Not sure how to do that as a link sorry.

Can i just finish by saying that the Wycombe home game on tuesday, i'm going to that one you know. Don't know if i've already mentioned it somewhere but just incase, i'm going to the Wycombe homegame on tuesday just to let you all know. :-D :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

This game is ideal for knill to start with. No one expects to get anything considering our form and there doing so well. He can make a few changes and if they work and win he's a hero. If we lose then we move onto Tuesdays game. Hard for a new gaffa to work out a side in a few days. But fingers crossed I think it will be a 2-2 draw. Were finally score some goals.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Oh, are you going on Tuesday Andy? I may see you? I'll be the one kicking cats with a table on my head......
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

SteveDeckchair wrote:Oh, are you going on Tuesday Andy? I may see you? I'll be the one kicking cats with a table on my head......

if you are unfortunate enough to see andy steve, be sure to kick him on my behalf.

there will be a drink in it for you. (D) although I may call it even after letting you wear the Chris Todd shirt in that charity match! =D

thanks.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Gate will be boosted by 200 extra young un's on Saturday.
http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 69431.aspx
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Excellent post re Saturday's game, Andy. Hadn't realised that Lee Hughes is now at Port Vale. On the basis that we always (well, usually) play better against the top teams, I'm hoping for a draw. Maybe Tom Pope will have an off day ...... !
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

andy is back hello, hello!!

make it the last time you leave please mate, pinch of salt and all that!!

lets hope the knill magic works!
still keeping the faith
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I have always quite liked Port Vale, in the same way I have always liked Crewe Alexandra and Forest Green Rovers. I think it is the name. Vale always bring a good away following and quite often we seem to do well against them, even though I always see them as a solid team in this league - a club that will not spend too long at the 4th division before going up at some point. In Micky Adams they have a decent manager who has achieved a couple of promotions from this league...in fact we could have had him as manager, after he did so well at Fulham, but Mike Bateson, in his wisdom, thought appointing Wes Saunders, straight from a clothes factory made more sense.

We probably cannot expect to win this. There are not many tougher games left for us than this but the new manager effect can often be invigorating, unless you are Paul Ince, so it probably wouldn't surprise too many if we sneaked something, especially as we are meant to have players that are good enough. I would take a draw but I suppose we really need the win and a victory over a very good Port Vale side would perhaps give the players the shot in the arm they need and play to something like their potential for the next few games!

Meant to add that one of finest memories v Port Vale was an early Bruce Rioch game...he might have even done one of his trademark free-kicks in a 4-0 rout during the 80/81 season...Vale respledent in a yellow and green striped away kit.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

austrianandygull wrote:Well i'm back ladies and gentlemen and Super! Not sure if i can hear groans of derision or howls of delight, either way - sit back, buckle up, get your readers on and enjoy the ride. There will be no racism, sexism, accringtonism or lingism on here i can guarantee. It's a home game so some of the usual things will be missing such as the town of the day but i'm sure it will be back with our next away game which is errrrrr....................Accrington! Oh praise the Lord! :bow: :clap:

What we have to bear in mind is that we have a new boss in charge, albeit temporarily, and although we all expect a good hammering in this game nobody can be certain given the 'new boss' factor. The lads could quite easily play like Brazil and out of nowhere produce a result totally out of the blue. Stranger things have happened including Gazza admitting that he has a 'chicken bucket' addiction and that he only drank to mask this embarrassing fact. Also Jedward being able to make money despite being the epitome of annoyance, totally talentless AND being body doubles for Bananas in Pyjamas.

The arrival of former Scunny boss Alan Knill could herald a change in fortunes for the men in yellow and why shouldn't it begin on saturday? I've got to be completely honest and say i'd be shocked if it did but who knows? For me, a draw in this would represent a huge achievement and i'd bite your hand off for it now but we can safely say that the real work starts at Plainmoor on tuesday evening against Wycombe Wanderers. Did i mention i was going to that game? Well, i'm going to that game. £200 nearly all in it is costing me and did i tell you that i'm actually going to that game? Anyway, i'm going to that game so just incase you nipped into the kitchen to put the kettle on or had to go upstairs for a plop or let the cats out to go and defecate on next doors garden then may i say that i'm going to that game. So just to reiterate for those that didn't get it 7th time around, i'm going to that game. 8-]
We are all guessing what side Knill will put out or indeed what formation and so i guess amongst all this doom and gloom comes a little chink of light, a tiny morsel of excitement about going down to Plainmoor once again with a sense of anticipation and wondering what to expect. If Taylor were still in charge then the gate would be low, everyone would have expected a dire game and a heavy loss and they would have been right. Now we just don't know. I'm not suggesting we have suddenly improved in a few days to the extent we can beat probably the best team in the division IMO, all i'm saying is that anything is possible now. Barnet drew 0-0 with them at Underhill and Morecambe beat them 1-0 at Vale Park so why can't we beat them?

Vale have taken the league by storm and under the steady astute stewardship of Micky Adams they have put aside their off field issues by mounting a serious and sustained challenge for the league 2 title. They have Tom Pope who we all know about, tricky midfielder Jennison Myrie-Williams who is their 2nd top scorer on 9 goals in all comps, Ashley Vincent who has 8 goals, Louis Dodds is on 7 along with striker Ben Williamson and they have a host of scorers on 4 or less.

Defensively they have 2011's player of the year John McCombe, ex Blue nose Darren Purse, Adam Yates, captian Doug Loft who is a superb player IMO, Joe Davis and Welshman Richard Duffy. Goalkeeping duties fall on the shoulders of ex Shrewsbury and Preston stopper Chris Neal.

In midfield they boast Jennison Myrie-Williams, Ashley Vincent, Rob Taylor, Chris Shuker, Sam Morsy and Trinidad & Tobago international Chris Birchall who played for his country in the 2006 World Cup in Germany. In attack they have signed Lee Hughes who not only was convicted of death by dangerous driving in 2003 but also he ran away from the scene. It goes without saying that if Torquay had signed him then i would no longer be a supporter of our club until his departure and i'm sure a few of you may hold the same opinion. He has scored 4 goals in 6 appearances. They also have Louis Dodds, Ben Williamson and obviously Tom Pope.

I'm sure Vale will bring with them a healthy following so perhaps we will open the away terrace to them for this one. Although Vale have a varied selection of knobheads amongst their fanbase, some of which i encountered during my visit to Vale Park earlier in the season, the majority of fanbase are friendly and Vale will always have a place in my memory. Not because i love the place, that would be silly as anyone that has been to Burslem would have to be certifiably insane to think that but because they are the team i first saw play at Plainmoor in my inaugural matchday experience. It was the back end of last season and we won 2-1. John McCombe thundered one in for them in the first half but we cam back with 2nd half goals from a Howe penalty after their man was sent off and then Jarvis bagged the winner. In addition, as i had been to Vale Park that season for our 0-0 draw it meant that Port Vale were the first team i had seen Torquay play both home and away in the same season. Magical days, i'd still rather win the lottery but magical nonetheless. Also magical is the fact that i have seen us play Vale 4 times, 1 home and 3 away and i have yet to see us lose.

The one thing i am glad about is it looks like Vale are going up, not because i want them to do well but because i've been to Vale Park the last 3 seasons, it's getting boring now, the ground is pants, the view is poor, it's always clinically depressing in the away end as it's always dark. Whenever i go i have to load up on serotonin so i don't cease to function. There is nothing in the immediate vicinity other than a bookies and they charge a fiver to park. It will be nice to not have to go again next season and enjoy Hartlepool instead. ( or Tamworth should we be relegated ).

Vale suffered a 1-0 reverse at home to Morecambe in their last game and here is the line up:

1. Chris Neal (gk)
2. Adam Yates
3. Darren Purse
4. Richard Duffy
5. Daniel Jones
6. Doug Loft ( captain )
7. Jennison Myrie-Williams
8. Ryan Burge
9. Ashley Vincent
10. Tom Pope
11. Lee Hughes

SUBS: Rob Taylor UNUSED, Chris Shuker ( on for Yates on 78 mins ), Sam Morsy UNUSED, Chris Birchall UNUSED, Louis Dodds UNUSED, Calvin Andrew ( on for Vincent on 81 mins ), Ben Williamson ( on for Hughes on 69 mins ).

The referee for this one is Keith Hill but i'm not sure football league rules allow individuals to be referees and also managers of teams in the same league. I'm sure Rochdale's chairman wouldn't be happy about it either. :~D

His assistants are Mr Richard Hulme and Mr Richard Huxtable with the 4th official being Mr Michael Mullarkey.

All i can say to the people of Torquay and surrounds is get your arses down to Plainmoor for this one, give your full support, welcome Alan Knill into the fold and lets get something moving at the club. Don't expect miracles in this one and go expecting defeat, you may end up pleasantly surprised but if not, it is what you expected right? We need all hands on deck now and i've even had a word with Captain Birdseye to get his nautical chuff down to Plainmoor for this but he says he'll be far too busy at a fish processing plant in Immingham gutting a tonne of Gurnard. His loss. :nod:

My head says a heavy defeat in this but my heart just hopes we can somehow miraculously get a win. I'm going with my heart, 2-1 Torquay. No messing. Let's have it lads come on!!!!! :scarf: :scarf:

Anyone interested in their fans forum can visit:

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/forum/index.php

Not sure how to do that as a link sorry.

Can i just finish by saying that the Wycombe home game on tuesday, i'm going to that one you know. Don't know if i've already mentioned it somewhere but just incase, i'm going to the Wycombe homegame on tuesday just to let you all know. :-D :lol:
Oi. I liked bananas in pyjamas. my kids kept quiet when it was on.

You wouldn't be going to that game by any chance would you Andy. Just Thought?
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Andy,

If we win on Saturday, please don't wreck it all by going to the next game.

You bloody jinx

:-D

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Well as i'm going to that one, possibly the Oxford home game and Accy, Southend, Northampton, Morecambe and maybe Gillingham away then on that premise i'd say we'll definately be relegated. :~D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Yep - we're screwed.

I'm off to remortgage the house and chuck the lot on us being relegated.

STIP
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

My only home game this season didn't see us lose and i haven't seen us lose at Plainmoor in my 3 games yet so i reckon we'll be fine. :-D
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

austrianandygull wrote:My only home game this season didn't see us lose and i haven't seen us lose at Plainmoor in my 3 games yet so i reckon we'll be fine. :-D
The only home game this season you "went" too you ended up not going to as you were ill, and we won very convincingly!!

:-D

STIP
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I went to the Northampton game just before Christmas and we drew 1-1. :na: