Alan Knill - Bury fans opinion

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
buryfan
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: poke

Alan Knill - Bury fans opinion

Post by buryfan »

Hi All,

I hope you all the success's in the future,

I think Alan Knill is a great appointment for you guys, I personally would have him here down at Gigg. I am amazed some of you guys on here are complaining? He last managed a team in League two that was in second place, with a low budget! I remember coming down to your place last and we beat you 3-2 in a great game. I am confused as to why any team in League Two would not accept him, Yes he left us in a cloud of uncertainty and it left a bad taste in our mouths but as a manager he was very good. It didnt seem to work out at Scunthorpe for one reason or another although them staying up last season was seen as a success.

I also read on here that people say Knill would be no good in the current situation you find yourselves in, Knill took charge of us when we were second bottom of League two and guided us to safety with some great loan signings ( Expect this to be a regular occurrence he has a great eye for a signing), the following season we finished 4th and missed out on automatic promotion.

I know its for 2 months but its ideal for you guys, I am sure you will now be fine in the league.

Also I hope Martin Ling has a fast and speedy recovery.

Up the Shakers!
nickfrench
New Signing
New Signing

Post by nickfrench »

Cheers buryfan, there is a lot of doom and gloom after the run we've been on, but I think a manager will divide opinion at any club given his past failings/successes.

What brand of football can we expect? Would we be looking at 'hoof-ball' or was he a manager who encourages the ball to be zipped along the ground?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Look how both Paul Buckle and Martin Ling divided opinions when they came in, Buckle was a done nothing manager why would our club even look at him. Lingy had failed at Cambridge.

As said on the other thread we must support Alan Knill, the last time I saw his Bury side at Plainmoor I remember a very fast dynamic front 4 who tore us a new one, if he can even re-create half of that over the next few weeks, we are going to be just fine, expecting nothing Saturday, but over coming weeks if he can just improve things by 15-20% the club will stay in the league.

Draw a line under things now and support.
Formerly known as forevertufc
buryfan
New Signing
New Signing

Post by buryfan »

He had a rule at Bury we're the goalkeeper could only play out from the back (during the summer months) then as the pitches got worse the keeper would kick it a bit longer. He always played football which is why some bury fans he never changed it as he always wanted to pass the ball.

Also to all the bury fans who say he never changed it, he didn't really have too as most weeks we won or were winning and in control for 90% of the game.

We always had pace out wide and he expects a lot of hard work from his wingers to get up and down. Expect your team to get quite dirty he likes his thugs e.g Sodje.

In league two you wouldn't want another manager in this position.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

forevertufc wrote:Look how both Paul Buckle and Martin Ling divided opinions when they came in, Buckle was a done nothing manager why would our club even look at him. Lingy had failed at Cambridge.

As said on the other thread we must support Alan Knill, the last time I saw his Bury side at Plainmoor I remember a very fast dynamic front 4 who tore us a new one, if he can even re-create half of that over the next few weeks, we are going to be just fine, expecting nothing Saturday, but over coming weeks if he can just improve things by 15-20% the club will stay in the league.

Cheers for the info Bury fan andgood luck to you for the remainder of the season.

I agree with your post Dave and for what it's worth i have a very, very good and confident feeling that we are going to see some passion and good football for once under Knill. I reckon he will do us the power of good.

As for the Vale game on saturday, i think the majority of us are expecting a loss and a good old run around and perhaps the real work will start for the game against Wycombe. ( I shall be there for the Wycombe game did i mention? :Oops: and before anyone says oh God that means we will lose, i have been to Plainmoor 3 times and yet to see Torquay lose so up yours! :~D )

That said though, there are points on offer on saturday and who knows?
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

forevertufc wrote:Look how both Paul Buckle and Martin Ling divided opinions when they came in, Buckle was a done nothing manager why would our club even look at him. Lingy had failed at Cambridge.

Absolutely right Dave. I was, like you all, really upset yesterday after defeat at Aldershot and the apparent manner of that loss but now there seems to be room for optomism so all we can do is get behind Alan Knill and the guys and support them. Loan signings on the way too by the looks of things so that will freshen things up. I feel better now :)
Oblivion!!!!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

How do you know there are loan signings on the way Oxgull?
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Its an assumption that's all. I'd be surprised if there wasn't.
Oblivion!!!!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

No worries mate, just thought i'd ask incase you knew something and you weren't letting on. :~D
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

austrianandygull wrote:How do you know there are loan signings on the way Oxgull?
The annoucement of Knill's appointment says don't be surprised if there are a couple of loan signings, on the official site.
TUST number 080
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Do not think it is much of a wrong assumption keith, it clearly says in the club statment that Alan Knill will be given all the backing and support he needs to keep the club in the league, including loan signings. That said I would be surprised if we saw wholesale new players turning up here and certainly not before the weekend .

Do not, having seen every home game think there is a lot of work needed, a boost in confidence and self belief is the obvious thing, that can come from some fresh faces. Think Knill needs to have a close look at Benyon and ask the question why has he been brought in on loan to help out up front and so far been left on the bench and worst of all not played at all, at Aldershot, If he is not fit or up to the job, if so send him back.

Also I think a little tweak to the way the team is set up might help, Alan Knill sounds like the sort of charactor who will not be scared to put a few noses out of joint if needed, so hopefully one or two of our players will get the kick up the rear end they badly need.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Thanks Lloyder5, i hadn't seen the OS. If this is true and we are adding to the squad then we are safe, i'm certain of it. This has made my night and i have almost arrogant confidence that we will finish mid table under Knill and with the further support of the board. Roll on happy days.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

at least two signings will be made soon, possibly 3 :)
buryfan
New Signing
New Signing

Post by buryfan »

When he took over us in this position, he signed a few loans!

Elliott Bennett - Now plays in the Premiership!
Few Sodje - club legend and real hard man defender!
Darren Randolph - One of the best keepers in Scottish football.
Adam Rooney - Birmingham bought him for money last year I think from Inverness.

You can ask any fan his signings are what makes him the manager he is in this league especially.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

ROADRUNNER wrote:at least two signings will be made soon, possibly 3 :)
Any more info available on this roadrunner? positions / loans / out of contract players??
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/