Torquay United vs Rotherham United

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Torquay United vs Rotherham United

Post by Plymouth Gull »

In the absence of Andy, I'll get a thread up. It won't be a big one, so sorry for that.

We welcome everyones favourite League 2 manager Steve Evans and his right-hand man Paul Raynor to Plainmoor tonight, in what is the first of a couple of games in hand we have on the majority of our rivals. Rotherham make the journey down to South Devon on the back of a 2-0 defeat at Burton Albion just 3 days ago, while we went down 0-1 against Fleetwood Town here at Plainmoor. Evans' men are out of form, with just one win in their last 5 matches, losing the others. We have also only won once in 5, that one coming at Exeter the other week. So neither side is in any form to speak of, but we should take confidence from our prolonged dominance over Fleetwood on Saturday, and also the boost we received with Elliot Benyon returning. Unfortunately we are still without Rene Howe, who sits out a second match, but he will be back for two important away games at out of form Rochdale and struggling Aldershot, where we need to take points in both those games, in my opinion.

I've no idea what to expect tonight, Rotherham have a big squad that should be doing better than they are, and even with the two red cards picked up at the Pirelli, they can count on the likes of Lee Frecklington to come in and do a job. Heres hoping for 3 points tonight to relieve some of the increasing pressure as we begin to look over our shoulders.

COYY!!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I guess a lot will depend on the formation played, and if Benyon is 100% match fit.
A lot of expectation will be placed on his shoulders to perform straight away and I only hope that the crowd won't get on his back if he takes a few minutes to get back into his stride.

That said, I think the team will be buoyed up by this signing, albeit currently a short term one and will win this one. I'm going to dare to dream, and say we will score two goals too!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Another note: The Millers have won 5 out of 6 league games on the road.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

Of course Elliot's last match for us was that excruciatingly galling 0-1 FA Cup defeat at the hands of Evans' and Raynor's Crawley at Plainmoor, so here's hoping he can exact his own little bit of revenge…

You're absolutely right about giving him time to get into his stride, Scott, but I desperately hope he starts tonight. With more natural fitness than Jarvis and having played 90mins on Friday – he provided an assist in a 1-2 reverse against Waltham Abbey in the Essex Senior Cup, no less! – he has at least as much chance of lasting the full game as either of our other options.

And whilst Benyon will obviously have to adapt to first team football and being back at the club, he should be able to settle into the squad and the team with relative ease with so many familiar faces: Poke, Rice, Nicholson, Oastler, Mansell, Lathrope, Macklin, Halpin, Stevens, Yeoman and Bodin (together at Swindon). Let's hope the team will play to his strengths, that he can link up with the likes of Bodin, and maybe he'll even be able to bring out the best in his old friend Stevens, too.
Bitchie Renault

Post by Bitchie Renault »

Tough one to call this, we are obviously lacking a bit of quality and the waining belief amongst the fans is not helping, but we were still unlucky to lose on Saturday and in a tight league like it is this season anything could happen. Rotherham seem to blow very hot and cold, reasonable recent away form, but like us they don't keep many clean sheets. Think we'll still miss the massive presence of Rene tonight, but hope the return of Benyon will add a bit more spark. Would be lovely to put one over the slimebags Evans and Raynor, but not sure it'll happen tonight unless we pick the 'right' midfield, ideally for me; Craig creating in the middle, Mansell to enforce/cover the ground, Bodin and Thompson given a free licence on the wings. pretty sure it won't be this though...
Pushed I'll go for 1-1, but really haven't got a scooby doo!!
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Take a draw from this, although a win would do us wonders in confidence and make the table look a lot nicer come 10pm tonight.

Head says 5-0 Torquay with Benyon netting all 5 (I can dream!! )
Heart says 1-1.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

BBC says that Howe returns for this game

Torquay have top-scorer Rene Howe available after he was suspended for the loss to Fleetwood Town on Saturday.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Just goes to show how little the BBC pay attention to us smaller clubs.

No Rene for tonight as he finishes his 2 match ban for his 10th yellow.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Some absolute tool on their forum is boasting about betting a grand on them to win! I actually feel quite confident on this one, with Ren out, their fans see us as dead in the water. Also is a pretty good time to play them, with two of their players suspended, two more injured, and Nardiello a doubt through fitness. I think we could sneak one tonight, provided we don't fall behind. If they do find themselves ahead, then fatty will go to time wasting, and it'll be like Crawley all over again. I reckon 2 1 gulls, Benyon and bodin. Just hope we shut Evans up!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Personaly never been bothered how fans of other clubs view us, and if some Rotherham fan has a spare £1k to bet on a football match best of luck to him..still hope he loses it.. :)

They have injuries and suspensions, but they also have an embarrasment of riches (massive squad), so still expect this to be a real though one, and massive boost to us if we come away with the points.
Formerly known as forevertufc
luketufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by luketufc »

Same team as saturday; Benyon starts on the bench
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

If you got that from sky then that is Saturdays line up! They haven't released tonight's yet
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/story ... z2Ki5odyYF

Same team. Benyon on bench. No Thompson on the bench which is disappointing IMO.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

From the BBC website:

Torquay United
01 Poke
03 Nicholson
04 Downes
05 Saah
12 Leadbitter
06 Lathrope
07 Mansell
15 Bodin
20 Craig
08 Jarvis
23 Yeoman
Substitutes
13 Rice
16 MacDonald
21 Cruise
18 Easton
19 Stevens
14 Macklin
26 Benyon

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Benyon on the bench is definitely the best call in terms of squad morale; even if it doesn't give us our best chance in this match.

If he comes on, scores and plays well, then Yeoman and Jarvis will be more amenable to his starting the next game, as will the rest of the lads.

COYY
"Also, stands aren't sentient."