Torquay United v Southend United - 17/11/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Torquay United v Southend United - 17/11/12

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Saafend are the visitors to Plainmoor on saturday looking to avoid slipping on a yellow jellied eel by taking all three points against an always resolute but desperately short on confidence Torquay side. With the wealth of attacking options available to them i expect it to be another backs to the wall job from Lingy's boys and hope it's enough to repel the Shrimpers onslaught. With no goal to speak of in three games, home to non league Harrogate Town, away to then bottom of the table Barnet and away at a disorganised and inconsistent Oxford, Martin will have to somehow galvanise the lads into a more attack minded unit for this one and hope home advantage stirs up another Gillingham-esque showing.

Southend sit in 11th place in league 2 on 23 points after 17 games and have a goal difference of 3, 1 shy of our 4 which considering some of the cracking results they have had is surprising. They have had convincing wins away at Rotherham (3-0), Cheltenham (3-1) and Bristol Rovers (3-2) and score draws at Northampton (3-3) and at Argyle (1-1). They will probably score at Plainmoor given those stats so will we have enough desire and enough chances to get at least 2 given our recent dire performances and toothless attack? I don't know the answer to that one but thank f*ck we have the big lad back up top after his suspension because if anyone can, Rene can. His return should also boost the rest of the squad and hopefully instil some belief back into the side. One man team? It is becoming that more and more each passing week and the longer Lingy fails to address our lack of goals the more we will continue to rely on Super Rene Howe.

As i was saying, the men from Roots Hall ( sounds like a grandiose country palace but for trees! ) have had some good results this season but are a little inconsistent and have chucked in a few stinkers. They have only won one of their last six league games including a shock 2-1 defeat to Aldersh*t but last time out they earned a solid 0-0 draw at home to Port Vale and with over 20 attempts at goal and Vale keeper winning man of the match they considered themselves extremely unfortunate not to have won the game.

Paul Sturrock has made a few additions to his squad in the form of Orient midfielder Marc Laird and ex-Hereford midfielder Tamira Mkandawire who has signed from Millwall. Both are until January. Perhaps it is time our very own Saint Martin should be looking to bolster our squad with a loanee or two himself, the rumours that i have heard about him looking at defensive options and not attacking ones make me feel sick to be honest. Sicker than when i used to get downing 12 pints of Kronenbourg on a regular night out in Cleethorpes ( it was slightly unfair actually because my mates used to get bottles of Budweiser or something similar but i felt ripped off at paying £3.50 for a bottle of piss that would take me approximately 58 seconds to drink so being the tight yorkshireman i am i would get pints of cheap lager. The thing was, my mates used to drink up in 5 minutes and wanted to shift onto somewhere else and i'd still be left there with half a pint of lager still to drink! It got so ridiculous that i even used to go round town with a Daily Mirror in my back pocket so i could whip it out and read it for 10 minutes while my mates p*ssed off to the next venue! Ha i looked really cool supping a pint whilst reading the Mirror in a banging pub full of half naked dancing ladies, i was too good for them all anyway. Most of them looked like Spongebobs underwater pals. Anyway, the upshot of this rapid consumption in liquid volume combined with extreme physical activity like walking between pubs AND a monstrosity of a burger that loosely passed as edible food meant that i would feel sick, REALLY sick, sicker than when Stevenage took the lead in the play off final and sicker than when Jamal Easter would make the Torquay starting line up. ) Make no mistake, if Martin ignores our striking crisis and plumps for another defender my diapraghm will have no choice but to expel waves of pungent vomit into the air. :Z

What made it worse on a night out in Cleggy is when a lass asked you to go back to her place, Pleasure Island it certainly WAS NOT! If you escaped with your faculties in tact, free from std's and a severe flea infestation then you were one of the lucky ones. If they told you they were members of the Grimsby Town Codheads then you've had it. Not only will you end up with fish fingers but you were in this birds eye and she'd never let go. On one night of passion i left in the morning with headlice, a couple of stray kittens that had found their way into my boxers AND a rat that had made it's bed in my trouser pocket! I wanted to keep going back so i could eventually open a pet shop but she was so ugly that it turned out she was a man!! AND he worked as a filleter at Youngs in Immingham docks!! :'(

Forgotten where i was now, Cleethorpes, Southend! That's it, same side of the coast i suppose. Yes, Southend have many quality players including 9 goal top scorer and on loan Watford Congolese hitman Britt Assombalonga which sounds like an extended version of the Black Lace song. Ex- Miller and Blade Ryan Cresswell has 3 goals whilst former West Ham recruit Freddie Eastwood has managed to find the back of the net on 3 occasions. Eastwood netted 49 times in 111 appearances for the Shrimpers in his first spell. West Ham United to Grays Athletic for our Freddie, probably the biggest fall from grace since Steps. Top of the pop charts one year, the next resorting to appearing on daytime tv looking like dissolved slugs but with make up on. EVEN the men slugs had make up on too. World's gone f*cking insane. :-/

They also have former Cherry and Donny player John Spicer, ex- Millwall legend Neil Harris, the ever reliable Kevan Hurst ( his mum didn't know what the letter 'i' was poor lad ) and the wonderfully named Seedy Njie, the pimp of Roots Hall no doubt. In addition they also have two former Gulls in their ranks, Elliot Benyon we've got the boy from up the road Benyon, Benyon! who i believe isn't injured but he regularly fails to even make the bench. I'd have him back like a shot but with no service he's be just like Jarvis. They also have Gavin Tomlin who helped us in part to reach the play off final two years ago and who has some nice tricks and touches. Good player. They also have Grenada international Anthony Straker who missed the Vale game due to international duty and irish striker Barry Corr. His sisters can't sing a f*cking note! :@

So you see that we are in for a tough old afternoon and i reckon Sturrock will go for a 4-4-2 and try and use some width to get service for Assombalonga and whoever else is the choice to partner him upfront. Sturrock is certainly cocksure of his side's away form and performances according to their official website and he seems to prefer playing away than at home. I happen to think that this game will be our first real hammering of the season both in terms of play and goals. It pains me to say it but think it will be 3-0 to the visitors with Mister Maker creating more than us. I'd settle for a collage of a farmyard made out of stickyback plastic and buttons if it meant we could sneak a draw but that's not going to happen.

Southend last time out v Port Vale:

1. Paul Smith (gk)
2. Sean Clohessy
3. Ryan Cresswell
4. Mark Phillips ( was tempted to say CAPTAIN Mark Phillips then! But he isn't a royal nor is he Shrimpers captain sadly)
5. Chris Barker ( CAPTAIN!!) But not a member of the royal family.
6. Tamika Mkindawire ( on loan from Millwall )
7. Michael Timlin
8. Kevan Hurst
9. Marc Laird
10. Britt Assombalonga
11. Gavin Tomlin

SUBS: Daniel Bentley (gk) UNUSED, Luke Prosser, Ryan Leonard UNUSED, John Spicer UNUSED, Alex Woodyard UNUSED, Freddie Eastwood ( on for Assombalonga on 86 mins ), Barry Corr ( on for Hurst on 70 mins )

Obviously i can't do an Andy's TOWN OF THE DAY because it's another home game and we all know that Torquay is such a remote backwater that it isn't even officially part of the UK. Many of it's inhabitants want to leave the town with the rest of the country wanting to go the other way so who is right? The answer is - I AM. So Torquay-ians, actually what is the name for people from Torquay ( apart from the obvious!)? People from Bradford are called Bradfordians, or Mohammed so what are people from Torquay called? Torquay-ians sounds good to me.

You guys are in for an absolute treat for the York matchday thread as it is a place i have spent many many years of my life and i'm looking forward to passing on as much info as i can to you lot. Prior warning, it WILL be long so you are more than welcome to scroll down to the end if you just want the stats but you'd be missing out guys and gals and Matt!

The referee for the Southend game is Mr Andy Davies, don't forget the bi-focals sonny! His amazingly sexual assistants are Mr ( or is it Mrs?) Andrew Bennett and Mr Derek Eaton and the fourth official whom i presume is male is Mr Adam Hopkins. Either way, i couldn't give a flying fart if all the officials were transexuals or sexual deviants, so long as they give us a couple of pens and most of the decisions they are welcome in my house any time. When i'm out obviously! :lol:
Last edited by AustrianAndyGull on 12 Nov 2012, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Torquinians mate.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Seriously? Never heard that before, cheers J5.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

as per usual a typically f**kin nutty thread.
god help us for the york one...... =D
anyway, I thought your wife was from cleethorpes.............. 8/
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Not married mate, not that stupid. Although i'm stupid enough to be in a 12 year relationship! Cheers for the compliment Chris and York is gonna be insane, both the thread and the day itself. Can't wait!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

austrianandygull wrote:Not married mate, not that stupid. Although i'm stupid enough to be in a 12 year relationship! Cheers for the compliment Chris and York is gonna be insane, both the thread and the day itself. Can't wait!
but she is from cleethorpes............... :clown:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Goin Barnsley again tomorrow t'tek bairn t'pool. £7 QUID odd! bloody hell!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

She's from Rotherham man not Cleggy! She may look like a certain type of creature but it sure ain't a f#cking haddock! :na:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

austrianandygull wrote:She's from Rotherham man not Cleggy! She may look like a certain type of creature but it sure ain't a f#cking haddock! :na:
carp? 8/

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

austrianandygull wrote:Goin Barnsley again tomorrow t'tek bairn t'pool. £7 QUID odd! bloody hell!
worth every penny......... =D

TUST Member 468

jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

No probs Andy, thanks for another insane stream of consciousness ;0)

Not sure there are many Torquinians left anyway, diluted as we have been by welfare tourists during the last 30 years. I have nothing against Scousers and Brummies. On their own turf they are both generally very nice breeds of people. Sadly our beloved 'Costa del Dole' has attracted a non-representative sub-class, who have chosen to relocate their private enterprises of burglary and drug dealing.

Anyway, off my soapbox!
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Could've gone Laddy's wi that money but if the kid wants a swim the kid wants a swim. I only go because they are refurbishing the lagoons at the Donny Dome and it's shut. I never go to the pool in Chesterfield anymore as the last time i went i got touched up by a bloke. Seriously, he started rubbing my leg when we were resting at the edge. I panicked and told him to swim on or i'd pulverise his face, he did and when he got halfway down the pool i got out sharpish, got changed quicker than superman and fled in terror. I'd have not been able to escape quicker if i'd been chased by zombies! It was a dark day. It DID happen though that's no lie. Never been back since.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Anyway, Southend 3-0 sadly but my decision to consider not going to some Torquay games has been shelved. I'm Torquay through and through and will go wherever i can get regardless to support the lads. I can't not go, i've now got yellow blood. Still 3-0 to Southend though. :'(
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

great thread and good decision andy!

if you want to watch good football put la liga on on a saturday night, if you want to do your bit for our boys then carry on going to every grim northern outpost that you can. it may be grim, but at least its a day out, one day we'll put in a performance to make us proud again, it may be a long time coming, but we know the team have got it somewhere within them to put in a decent 90 mins away from plainmoor. i can understand where yr coming from with the dirge i've seen at chessy and rovrum, but the good spells at the gas game and at home to cheltenham gave me hope that martin will one day let them throw off their shackles and really entertain us!

hopefully beginning at york?? will be in the tap at the station and then that little pub thats tucked in beside the bridge just before you cross over the ouse? hopefullf there by 1230, but obviously depends on train times

southend win 1-2 howe, 2299
still keeping the faith
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Think we'll win this one. Back on form with a bang. 3-1 win, Howe scoring 2 and Mansell. Just shy of 2400 there.