Great Come Backs of the past

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
GulldenBoy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Branston

Great Come Backs of the past

Post by GulldenBoy »

Last nights amazing come back brought back to me the game that made me from a casual young fan into a die hard.

It was back in the early part of the 93-94 season and Don Riordan was manager. We played Colchester and were 3-0 down by half time (i think) and on came Adrian "fozzy" Foster as a second half sub and promptly scored a hat-trick to come back to 3-3. I still remember him being booked for running down by the Pop Side whirling his shirt over his head. Fozzy would always be my first Torquay hero.

There have been many great ones, such as Hull away. Would love to hear other peoples stories?
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

The only other fairly recent big comeback was at Oxford in the BSP first season. 3-0 down at half time, eventually got a point thanks to a 90th minute Sills header.

Last night was the first time we've come back from 3 down to win in my time though.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

I remember well January '71. We were 0-3 down to Lincoln in the FA Cup & so-called Gulls supporters were leaving in their droves at half-time. That was a brilliant come-back to win 4-3 & that has sustained me down through the years to keep coming back to watch United (although not as often as I would like, since I live at a distance & often am busy with work commitments at the weekend). :scarf:
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Not to the same extreme as in comebacks but a game that sticks out for me was Argyle away - probably over a decade ago now.

This was the game where they opened their new stands (away end still left uncovered and it p1ssed it down!) and it was packed to the rafters. We went 2 - zip down fairly early and a thumping was expected. Argyle fans giving it the big one from both their ends, as well as the scumbags that had infiltrated the away end.
However - the morons were forcefully removed - and we pulled it back to 2-2. Dancing in the rain we watched with heightened excitement as Mick O'Brien smashed a free-kick onto the underneath of the bar from about 35 yards which (had luck been on our side) would have given us the win in the last minute.

Great game and great fun watching us ruin their 'Big Day'!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

2 Matches that I can think off.

1/ Being 2-0 away at Doncaster, to win 3-2(Chrisi myers scoring the winner). cant remember the keeper could have been Veysey?

2/ 3-0 down away to Hull, come back to 3-3 draw
Lucy
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

The one I like is being 1-0 down (stick with it) to FGR and coming back to win 2-1. Doesn't sound amazing, but consider this:
Poke limped off after quarter of an hour and we didn't have Ricey on the bench, so Tim Sills (a centre forward) went in net. Late in the first half, stupidly, we gave away a penalty. With a combination of sheer bravado and a degree of arm waiving, Tim managed to make the taker roll his shot tamely wide of the post.

Second half starts and finally Forest Green stick one in. Torquay decline to allow this to phase them and somehow find an equaliser though Benyon.

The game wears on and the last of 3 added minutes begins and the disgruntled home support begin to fIle for the exits (doubtless disappointed at a meagre return of just one point in the circumstances), Sillsy punts a goal kick up field. A cheeky flick on finds Matt Green, the enigmatic striker is 25 yards out and has his back to goal. Unphased, he turns his man expertly and rifles a shot into the top corner, much to the disgruntlment of the rapidly dissipating support.

I went **** ing nuts in the bar at my then home.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

taxilady wrote:I remember well January '71. We were 0-3 down to Lincoln in the FA Cup & so-called Gulls supporters were leaving in their droves at half-time.
Those were the days when the gates were opened at half-time and left open.

Before I was big enough to bunk in over the Marnham Road wall :Oops: I saw many of my first games by walking through those open half-time gates.

Then I got pocket money and could afford to pay and see the whole game. I kept that in my pocket and learnt how to climb the Marnham Road wall and drop through the barbed wire into the ground. :Oops: :nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

ferrarilover wrote:The one I like is being 1-0 down (stick with it) to FGR and coming back to win 2-1. Doesn't sound amazing, but consider this:
Poke limped off after quarter of an hour and we didn't have Ricey on the bench, so Tim Sills (a centre forward) went in net. Late in the first half, stupidly, we gave away a penalty. With a combination of sheer bravado and a degree of arm waiving, Tim managed to make the taker roll his shot tamely wide of the post.

Second half starts and finally Forest Green stick one in. Torquay decline to allow this to phase them and somehow find an equaliser though Benyon.

The game wears on and the last of 3 added minutes begins and the disgruntled home support begin to fIle for the exits (doubtless disappointed at a meagre return of just one point in the circumstances), Sillsy punts a goal kick up field. A cheeky flick on finds Matt Green, the enigmatic striker is 25 yards out and has his back to goal. Unphased, he turns his man expertly and rifles a shot into the top corner, much to the disgruntlment of the rapidly dissipating support.

I went f**k ing nuts in the bar at my then home.

Matt.
My dad was there. I thought the penalty was in the last ten minutes though?
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Top goalkeepers since the relegation of 2006/07 :

Bobby
Poke
Bevan
Sills
Southampton Gull :lol:
Rice

Oh, and the 'keeper on loan (Steve Collis) who kept a clean sheet in his one and only appearance to ensure the clean sheet run at the end of 2009/10 was carried into the next season of 2010/11. :-D
Last edited by Trojan 67 on 03 Oct 2012, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

The Blackpool 'streaker match' from 00/01 will always stick with me. Shane Tudor (who we should have kept) scored twice to put them 2-1 up, then Eifion Williams hit 2 in injury time to turn it around. I used to refer fondly to Williams as 'Toblerone Boots,' but I was singing his praises that night. In particular I sang them out of the car window to a solitary Tangerines fan walking through Hele. He chased our car.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

NickGull wrote:
My dad was there. I thought the penalty was in the last ten minutes though?
The penalty was definitely late on in the game. I wasn't there but was getting text updates from a mate and thought he was having me on when he was telling me all what happened!
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

In the Lincoln City game in 1971 we had got back to 2-3 by half-time so the fans mentioned as leaving in their droves at half-time probably actually left before half time when we were 0-3 down after 30 minutes. A John Rudge penalty right on the stroke of half-time put us right back in it and as the 3rd Division club playing a 4th Division team at home by half-time the betting would have been on us.

For geat comebacks though it is difficult to think of anything other than 9 January 1965. Home to the mighty Tottenham Hotspur with 11 international players in the team and recent league and cup double winners, recovering from 1-3 down with 5 minutes to go to equalise and to see that magnificent Spurs team in a right panic kicking it anywhere for the last couple of minutes. No more details required of course as there were some great posts about that particular game recently on another thread.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Yup, some googling finds that the pen was awarded at 1-1, not 0-0 as I thought.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Popside Joe
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Asa Hall

Post by Popside Joe »

My fondest memory, in terms of comebacks, is the Blackpool match. It was August bank holiday Monday, but absolutely lashing it down. I was beginning to accept defeat only for Eifion to show up and smash in two dramatic goals to suddenly, out of nowhere, steal a victory. Manic celebrations followed, to the extent that I managed to even forget there was a streaker just minutes before.

:O

http://www.11v11.com/matches/torquay-un ... -2000-980/
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I dont remember the streaker but I do remember Eifion scoring 2 very late on
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843