What price Zebroski?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

What price Zebroski?

Post by CP Gull »

I know that this subject has been discussed on here many times before, but given that the local press (both South Devon and Bristol) and those "in the know" posters all seem to suggest that this move (to BRFC) is imminent it got me thinking as to what should we really expect in the way of a fee for Zebs?

One thing that our BOD should be paying close attention to is the way that Macclesfield (similar size club to ours) have handled the situation with their striker Tyrone Barnett. They have been refusing to sell to Crawley (admittedly more £Â£Ã‚£Ã‚£Ã‚£ than BRFC) for a number of weeks now but eventually caved in yesterday when their valuation was presumably met. Now, of course, as is the way these days the fee involved was "undisclosed" as will no doubt the fee for Zebs will be ... until it eventually leaks out anyway!

However, it appears that the fee they got (an unfortunate leak via Tweeter has revealed all!) was £150,000 (plus add ons). Now this is a guy who has only played one season in the League despite being roughly the same age (Zebs is 25 in October while Barnett will be 26) and having scored a similar number of goals (Barnett got 13 while Zebs got 15) last season - that despite the fact that Barnett is an out and out Centre Forward while Zebs did spend a fair chunk of his time out on the wing. The similarities don't end there though, both players had one year left on their contracts and would be able to walk away for nothing next summer, Barnett was their Player of the Year last year, while Zebs was ......runner up! Both players are also seen as really hard workers for the team notwithstanding they have their limitations technically.

Given that they got £150k for Barnett, you have to ask yourself why should we accept anything less for Zebs? The only "difference" as I can see it is that one player is being chased by "money bags" Crawley (and so inevitably the £Â£Ã‚£ goes up a bit) and the other by "skint" Bristol Rovers. Neither Macclesfield or ourselves want to sell their player and so surely we should be able to negotiate a fee that is at least close to what Crawley have just paid?????

See here....

http://www.fansonline.net/macclesfieldt ... php?id=980

As an aside, I don't know whether it went any further or not at the time but a little over twelve months ago there was a piece in the Devon Independent - a brief interview with our Commercial Manager Dean Edwards - which said that Edwards would be recommending a young striker (and a midfielder there too as it happens) to Paul Buckle who he knew was out of contract and he (Edwards) felt was good enough to make it in the League. Edwards was familiar with the striker because he had been his Manager at that club - Hednesford. Whether Buckle ever took this any further I don't know, or whether he just dismissed it out of hand I don't know either ..... but I do know that striker was Tyrone Barnett! :slap:
Last edited by CP Gull on 30 Jun 2011, 11:07, edited 10 times in total.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Think we should be looking in the same ball park. No less than £120k for sure.
Good to see we have not instantly caved to Buckle's demands because if we had this would have been a done deal by now.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

200k minimum or tell Buckle to go and feck himself. I appreciate that Zebroski is out of contract next year but at some point players might be more valuable to the team than any transfer fee. I mean lets be honest what is relegation going to cost us at the end of the season.
We are shorn of quality. Ling is signing absolute dross. Can we really afford to let Zebroski go? - especially when we have bugger all else on offer.
DavetheRave
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by DavetheRave »

Why do the majority of transfers these days now go 'undisclosed'

What happened to the good old days of knowing where you were with fees??
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Given the amount of money we have received for players in the past and the apparent immunity transfer fees have to the economic downturn I would be very disappointed with anything less then £150k. I would hope for something over £200k given Zebs ability.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

We haven't considered that Zebs may well be a target for other clubs, which may well inflate what we get for him.
teeboo100
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: alex russell

Post by teeboo100 »

good point there from brucie torquay can value zebs as whatever they like tell bristol we want a million zebs is our player for this season unless torquay decide different and if bristol are prepared to pay good money then other clubs would also be interested its not just about bristol rovers football club relegation would cost the club far more than 200 grand and at the moment zebs is a paramount for the football club zebs and o kane are its prize assets why sell out why give in to paul buckle and his attempts to bite the hand that fed him and put him on the map in football management terms in fact i would tell that odieos ego maniac right to get off and extend him no courtesy again... then again i do belive we will cave in and buckle will get his man football cant half make you bitter
Silvergull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Silvergull »

The transfer request he's just put in will lower his value a bit. 'Family reasons'.
I'm sure the move up to Bristol should over come these....
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Well, this is disappointing news. Right Paul, show us at least 200k or clear off!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Gashead1979
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Gashead1979 »

Guess it all depends how desperate for cash Torquay are, cant see you turning down £100k which is as far as i'd go for him.

We got around £500k for Will Hoskins thats probably burning a hole at the minute....
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 21,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well done Buckle - got your man to do what you have pushed him into.
Why do 'we accept' and 'push his name round'? Tell him to feck off (whilst agreeing a sum in secret which we will let him go for?).
There is no loyalty in football anymore. Family reasons? - you can shove that up your arse Zeb!
Last edited by Richinns on 30 Jun 2011, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Gashead1979 wrote:Guess it all depends how desperate for cash Torquay are, cant see you turning down £100k which is as far as i'd go for him.

We got around £500k for Will Hoskins thats probably burning a hole at the minute....
Well, it depends how desperate Rovers are to land their man. If we let him go for 100k or less I will be fuming.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Always on the cards. Goes with a blessing did a very good job for us, shame to see him go but I think others will be more bothered by him going than me personally. Never really thought he was THAT good. Effective at League 2 level have no doubts he'll get around 10-15goals for them, he can be replaced though. Problem is I don't trust our manager to sign someone suitable. I expect Andy Parkinson.
teeboo100
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: alex russell

Post by teeboo100 »

sadly this was on the cards however zebs is not iraplaceable get a good fee and then go after a decent replacement what worries me though is that we will replace him with a free agent or blue square quality player when we should be looking at a league 1 and paying a fee he will be at bristol by friday that 1st away game is going to be a spicy old affair
DerbyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by DerbyGull »

No doubt Buckle had a hand in it. Fleece BR for as much as possible, we are in no rush to sell him he's under contract!! Mind you the comment from Ling "His departure will obviously free up budgetary space and the money will be pumped back into the squad-building process at our club." makes it sound like a sale is already in the pipeline.
I think family reasons translates to Buckle wants me and will offer more cash!!