The Shortlist

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

The Shortlist

Post by Mav »

HE reports the following people are on the shortlist for our next manager

Alex Russell
Alexander John Russell (born 17 March 1973 in Crosby) is an English professional footballer currently playing for Yeovil Town. He plays as a central midfielder. has also played for Rochdale, Cambridge Utd, Torquay Utd, Bristol City & Exeter City.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Russell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris Hargreaves
Christian "Chris" Hargreaves (born 12 May 1972) is an English footballer who is currently without a club (I would suggest now retired). Early in his career he played as a forward but later converted to a midfield role. Currently coaching at Exeter City with youth players of various ages.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hargreaves" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nicky Forster
Nicholas Michael "Nicky" Forster (born 8 September 1973) is a former professional footballer having played for Gillingham, Brentford, Birmingham, Reading Ipswich, Hull, Brighton, Charlton and now manager having managed brentford from 1st march 2011, till 19thMay 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicky_Forster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David Holdsworth
David Gary Holdsworth (born 8 November 1968) is an English former professional footballer and former manager having his contract cancelled by mutual consent on 18 November 2010 of Conference National club Mansfield Town.
He played as a centre half for Watford, Sheffield United, Birmingham City, Walsall, Bolton Wanderers, Scarborough and Gretna, and was capped once for England at Under-21 level.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Holdsworth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ian McParland
Ian 'Charlie' John McParland (born 4 October 1961 in Edinburgh) is a Scottish former professional association football player and manager. He played professionally as a striker with a number of teams and he is most known for his eight year spell with Notts County, a club he later managed. He is currently assistant manager at Swindon Town.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_mcparland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John Hughes
John Hughes (born 9 September 1964 in Edinburgh) is a Scottish former professional footballer. Hughes played primarily as a central defender for several clubs, including Falkirk, Celtic, Hibernian and Ayr United. Towards the end of his playing career, Hughes took on coaching responsibilities, and was appointed manager of Falkirk in 2003 (initially as co-manager with Owen Coyle). Hughes guided Falkirk to promotion to the Scottish Premier League and a Scottish Cup Final during his time in charge. Hughes left Falkirk to take up the managerial role at Hibernian in 2009, but left by mutual consent after just 16 months in charge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hughe ... rn_1964%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lee Bullen
Is currently Assistant Manager at Scottish Football League First Division side Falkirk. In a career that has spanned more than 20 years, Bullen has played football professionally in Scotland, England, Australia, Greece and Hong Kong. Having started his career as a striker, Bullen converted to defence midway through his career, and has also been used in various other positions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Bullen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

having read the herald express again, it reads as though the six candidates, but seven names indicates that it would be John Hughes & Lee Bullen together, but can't be 100% sure on that or how that would work

Slightly surprising list imo, however one thing which was very surprising is the reports that Paul Trollope did not apply for the Torquay job, apparently he thinks there is a league one job ou there for him.
Last edited by Mav on 08 Jun 2011, 08:28, edited 2 times in total.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Mav wrote:HE reports the following people are on the shortlist for our next manager

Alex Russell
Chris Hargreaves
Nicky Forster
David Holdsworth
Ian McParland
John Hughes (formerly with Falkirk & Hibernian)
Lee Bullen

Slightly surprising list imo, however one thing which was very surprising is the reports that Paul Trollope did not apply for the Torquay job, apparently he thinks there is a league one job ou there for him.
Good, if he is not good enough for Bristol Rovers then he is not good enough for us! In any case we would not want him bringing B.R. cast offs down here whilst our best players are going in the other direction.
clemy1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Wroe

Post by clemy1989 »

well from that list my 1st choice would be nicky forstar, then hargreaves then holdsworth. don't really no the other candidates other than aggy who i don't feel is quite ready yet but would work as a player coach still.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Wouldnt want McParland or David Holdsworth (Isnt he the one who struggled with Mansfield?) not sure on Bullen dont really know much about him to comment on.

The ones that I'd be happy with would be Russell,Hughes and Forster. Hargreaves would be alright but abit of a risk...
Mysonjackg
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Mysonjackg »

Would tend to agree with clemy1989 that Nicky Forster would be my choice. Interesting list of candidates, with the emphasis surely on trying to find a young up and coming manager (with the exception of John Hughes). You would have to think that cost comes into the equation with drawing up the shortlist (it would be interesting to know who didn't make the list?).

If it was me, I would be looking to see who has the best "most current" connections in order to bring in players to the club. With one of two being out of the game for a while and with Russell still playing I would have thought that Forster sticks out as the No.1 candidate. Hargreaves and Russell are natural "heart ruling head" choices, but equally could form an interesting partnership if Russell still had the legs to offer some form of player/coach role alongside Hargreaves.

Don't see the others as offering much in terms of "rejuvinating" the fans/players from their current position!

We just need a decision and quick!
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

Vaving read the herald express again, it reads as though the six candidates, but seven names indicates that it would be John Hughes & Lee Bullen together, but can't be 100% sure on that or how that would work, have edited my original post to show that. Also surprised to read that Nicky Forsters step son who is a 17 year old midfielder who plays at Brighton. Whats the odds on him joining us on loan at some stage if Forster gets the job
SDYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The next scorer

Post by SDYellow »

Don't know anything about him other than the wiki page above but John Hughes seemed to do a good job with Falkirk.
The two Scottish names were a surprise for me. Long distance away for not a lot of money I suspect.
I'm excited for the outcome. My heart says Greavsy with Alex Russell, but my head says not together to friendly and to many ties to the club. I wouldn't mind seeing Forster and Greavsy as many have said, or the Scottish combo, something completely unexpected. Sounds about right to me.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Nicky Forster is the one of that list i would like,would be happy with Hargreaves.
Formerly known as forevertufc
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

very surprised to see a former SPL manager on the list. i dont know much about him though. i think nicky forster would be a good choice, he sounds from the press releases/interviews like he's desperate for it. we really want someone like that. cant see hargreaves or russell taking charge YET. this is such a massive decision, its nerve racking but also potentially exciting if the new guy can reinstall a little bit of optimism.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
Ausgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs -Legend

Post by Ausgull »

Nicky Foster for me.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Definitely Nicky Forster
The gulls are going up
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Regiment »

good effort Mav, thanks for all the info.

i agree, Nicky Forster would be my first choice i think, mainly because some of my mates are Brentford regulars, and general feeling is they were disappointed to see him go, and looking at the others, he must have a pretty good shout. from an apparent 50+ applications though, there must've been some real donuts if this is the final shortlist. surprising list.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
SDYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The next scorer

Post by SDYellow »

Remember we also need a number two so I wouldn't be surprised to the least experienced (manager wise) in that group also get recruited.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

My view is Hargreaves and Russell are being considered for the role of coach/assistant manager-yes, they will be interviewed for the managerial position but will be asked"if you don't get the job would you be interested in becoming coach here".By the same token the managerial candidates will be asked if they have an assistant/coach in mind and if not would they work with Russell or Hargreaves?
The report in today's Herald indicates our finances have stabilised and we might have broken even last season.
Simon Baker is quoted as saying the finances are" remarkably healthy"-seems likely then that the Board is in a position to appoint a manager and coach/player coach.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Bloggy »

Is it worth putting a Poll of the shortlist up? Would be interesting to see who get's the nod from TorquayFans.com.