New Year - New Striker

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

ferrarilover wrote:Well done Andy, I figured someone would know. I see what Mod means, he hasn't set the world alight, but given a run in the side (like so many others) I think he'll really add something that we're missing.
Still no word from Lucy about this ten grand...

Matt.
Some of us work 14 hour shifts, so couldnt reply asap. Understanding is that when Sky sports is showlive, the home team normally get 20k and the away 10k(based on league 2 ). Remember last year when we should have played Barnet at home under the sky cameras, but didnt(de to them having a fa cup replay) and we lost money as a result.
Lucy
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

ferrarilover wrote:Well done Andy, I figured someone would know. I see what Mod means, he hasn't set the world alight, but given a run in the side (like so many others) I think he'll really add something that we're missing.
Still no word from Lucy about this ten grand...

Matt.
Matt, the point I was making that he DIDN'T THEN set the world alight. I forgot about the one goal he did score - apologies.

I guess I was unclear - what I meant to demonstrate was that the January window doesn't necessarily produce the goods when the only players available are those who can't get a game with their current club (e.g. Jarvis) or where the player is in form but commands a fee and/or large salary (which we can't afford).

I suppose the last successful window appointment was Gavin Tomlin but even he wasn't particularly prolific (doing well now though).
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

lucy6lucy wrote:
Some of us work 14 hour shifts, so couldnt reply asap. Understanding is that when Sky sports is showlive, the home team normally get 20k and the away 10k(based on league 2 ). Remember last year when we should have played Barnet at home under the sky cameras, but didnt(de to them having a fa cup replay) and we lost money as a result.
Some of us paid attention at school, so we don't have to...

(Louis, we need a 'poked with a stick' smilie.)

Matt.

[edited by Happytorq; fix colour issues]
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Some of us work 14 hour shifts, so couldnt reply asap. Understanding is that when Sky sports is showlive, the home team normally get 20k and the away 10k(based on league 2 ). Remember last year when we should have played Barnet at home under the sky cameras, but didnt(de to them having a fa cup replay) and we lost money as a result.[/quote]

Matt.[/quote]

Getting personal are we? Whats the theory that working long hours equates to a low paid job. FYI- I have a degree and earn a decent wage, but work in the service industry and when its Christmas I am needed at work. :na: :na: :na: :na: :na:
Lucy
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

lucy6lucy wrote:Some of us work 14 hour shifts, so couldnt reply asap. Understanding is that when Sky sports is showlive, the home team normally get 20k and the away 10k(based on league 2 ). Remember last year when we should have played Barnet at home under the sky cameras, but didnt(de to them having a fa cup replay) and we lost money as a result.

Matt.[/quote]

Getting personal are we? Whats the theory that working long hours equates to a low paid job. FYI- I have a degree and earn a decent wage, but work in the service industry and when its Christmas I am needed at work. :na: :na: :na: :na: :na:[/quote]

Ditto :)
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

On Christmas Eve Grimsby announced they were trying to make Ross Hannahs loan a permanent move.
Could we afford bid? Bradford seem likely to sell.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

portugull wrote:On Christmas Eve Grimsby announced they were trying to make Ross Hannahs loan a permanent move.
Could we afford bid? Bradford seem likely to sell.

Could do a swap for Bodin? :clap:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

So from the looks of it, Ling is after a big striker. Any ideas who it could be or anyone we would like to bring in.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

There's a bloke at some south west club, been about a bit but is pretty big and strong, could fit the bill nicely, goes by the name of Rene Howe. Not sure if he'd fancy coming to us though...

Why is he looking for a big guy? We aren't a team of big guys, we're a team of little guys who know what they're doing rather than a bunch of no-hopers who happen to be bigger than anyone else (who, in their right mind, would want to watch Northampton every week? It's basically a competition between the back 4 as to which of them can kick it the furthest.) Not a complaint, as such, more a question of the direction we may be heading if we go for someone massive. A lot of us recently were advocating Elliot Benyon as an ideal foil for Rene in the old big guy, little guy partnership that works so well so often.

Still, Dinger's on a fat wedge to know what's best and, if he's made a decision and knows what he wants, I'm sure he'll get the right man for the job and then we can but pray he does the right thing with what he's got.

Matt.

Oh, Lucy, almost forgot, long hours because you have to, it's basic mathematics. One can earn £100/day (for example), either by working 20 hours at £5/hour or 1 hour at £100/hour.
For reasons of board harmony, I have refrained from proceeding any further with this o:)
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

ferrarilover wrote: Still, Dinger's on a fat wedge to know what's best and, if he's made a decision and knows what he wants, I'm sure he'll get the right man for the job and then we can but pray he does the right thing with what he's got.

Matt.
Is he? How do we know that? what constitutes a 'fat wedge'?
ferrarilover wrote: Oh, Lucy, almost forgot, long hours because you have to, it's basic mathematics. One can earn £100/day (for example), either by working 20 hours at £5/hour or 1 hour at £100/hour.
For reasons of board harmony, I have refrained from proceeding any further with this o:)
When has that ever stopped you before? :)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

Hey happytorq leave Matt alone he is this sites top drawer comedian. I cant wait for his debut DVD to come out. I wonder if they will sell it in the club shop ??
:lol: :lol:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

I guess he's got to be on more than the players, to keep the level of respect sufficiently high. I'd say he's on not less than £65k, which for the south west and a bloke with half an O level, ain't bad going.

It stops me very rarely, very rarely indeed, but, on this occasion, what I typed (then deleted) was so furiously middle class that it would have started a fight of epic proportion.

Matt.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Manager on more money than the players, not allways the case, could well be some up in the premier league/ Championship who aren't earning as much as some of the players.

Our location has not stopped the club from bringing in players from Scotland and the North before or across the south east either, so with a bit of luck us we will see another striking option added, still would like to Benners back here.
Formerly known as forevertufc
knh316
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: dont have one

Post by knh316 »

now that leeds utd have been taken over and neil warnock stating he wants some new players im guessing he'll be after at least one striker.this would put one of their strikers done the pecking order,sommer...did a great job for lincoln two seasons ago and with neils record of loaning players to us before would be worth a phone call about a loan till the end of the season.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

David Sommer (not sure of spelling), that's a **** ing brilliant shout. He was absolutely brilliant for a truly horrific Lincoln side a couple of years ago. How the hell have you come up with that?

Matt.