John Bond

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
bruciesbootcleaner

RIP "THE MUFFIN MAN"

Post by bruciesbootcleaner »

sad news about johhny bond, who died today aged 79 ( aka the muffin man )
remember him well, from his days at plainmoor,
& his papershop in torre,
great footballer, graced the field with the likes of moore,hurst & peters at the "west ham football utd. football academy"

p.s. matt - am i allowed to post this tribute! thought i would check with you first
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Sad news indeed. He was a very cultured player for the Gulls. Not sure I ever forgave him for taking all our best players with him to Bournemouth when he left Plainmoor (the late Micky Cave, Tommy Mitchinson etc etc), but I guess that was our Board's fault.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Former West Ham full-back favourite John Bond has died at the age of 79. Frank O'Farrell brought him to Torquay where he spent the last couple of years of his playing career. Those were great days to watch the Gulls in the third tier of football as a youngster. Bond went on to manage Bournemouth, Norwich, Man City and a few other clubs. He was an excellent reliable player and a genuine nice guy. R.I.P.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

I echo your thoughts on John Bond.Hope there's a tribute on the club website shortly. R.I.P.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Very sad to hear of the passing of one of the clubs most well known characters of the late 60s/early 70s. John was one of several ex West ham players who plied their trade in the bay for us at that time and I remember him from my first visits, as a 10 year old, to the old Plainmoor.

Rest in peace John and thanks for the memories.
Oblivion!!!!
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

I remember that in one game he was trying to slow the game down, so he sat on the ball until one of the other team approached him. A real character. R.I.P.
robbotufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by robbotufc »

remember him well fun guy to watch on the field,had a great friendship with another ex torquay player john benson,they went into managership together R.I.P bondy o:)
bruciesbootcleaner

Post by bruciesbootcleaner »

robbotufc wrote:remember him well fun guy to watch on the field,had a great friendship with another ex torquay player john benson,they went into managership together R.I.P bondy o:)
2 shopkeepers together, bondy`s newsagent in torre and benno`s opposite windmill hill playing field,
how times have changed, can`t quite see sir alex or mancini serving me half a pound of carrots & a tin of mushy peas!!
great players & great characters!!! R.I.P. to both,