What do we need next season?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
doogull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: E. O kane

Post by doogull »

we also need better chips
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

Sneapy94 wrote:and a new right mid/winger as morris is a waste of time and money!
Always nice to see a well educated and informed first post from a new member to the forum.
clemy1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Wroe

Post by clemy1989 »

Sign up jarvis, and easton. involve nathan craig more next year. If bodin comes in the o'kane deal it could be a good year.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Pace, power and some more skilful players especially in the forward areas.

We need a more natural, more athletic right back, we need two wingers of better quality ideally with pace and we need 2 new strikers that are up to this level to give Howe some help.

Then it all depends on who stays/goes.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

royalgull wrote:Pace, power and some more skilful players especially in the forward areas.

We need a more natural, more athletic right back, we need two wingers of better quality ideally with pace and we need 2 new strikers that are up to this level to give Howe some help.

Then it all depends on who stays/goes.
Exactly right. The defence was and is decent. This evening we had one okay half from Stevens on one wing, nothing at all from Morris on the other, and no strikers. Rene is excellent; Atieno, Jarvis and McPhee are not up to the job.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

With what we have already (and we can't really work with anything other than that at present), then all we need is Bodin and a pacy, reliable striker to work in a 4-4-2 with Rene. McLeod will do just fine thanks. Yeah, they're expensive, but Simple Simon reckons promotion is worth £100,000 straight away. That's McLeod's transfer fee straight away. We MUST be able to find the cash for Bodin (£50,000, Di Canio can **** his mum if he thinks Billy is worth more than that). Obviously if others leave, then they'll need addressing as and when, but for now, as I sit here and type, those are the two we need. The way the division is going, £150,000 summer is not anything out of the ordinary and we will have to stump up that sort of cash if we wish to come even close to competing.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Craney TUFC11
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Craney TUFC11 »

We some how need to get more on the home end attendances, I believe thats what really costs us a promotion each time. To have what must have only been 2,900 in the home end on nights like last night and even more worringly the Plymouth home game earlier in the season is what threatens every promotion campaign. The extra on the crowd would have given Lingy the chance to bring the two attacking loanees we required or the Billy Bodin which would have almost certainly won us promotion. I know the reasons we do not get the crowds that the football we play deserves, but there has to be a strategy in place to get kids through the doors before they get taken in by Man U, Liverpool etc.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The game was live on Sky, in an area as financially deprived as Torquay that was always going to happen. I'm hopeful that next season will show a rise in attendances with the opening of the new stand and some local derby games to help boost them.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Craney TUFC11
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Craney TUFC11 »

SG your exactly right and I knew that as well, all I am reiterating is the need for a bigger fanbase, how we get it and if we ever do is another matter. It is a shame we don't have the backing of a more affluent town/city the size of even say Chelts or Exeter 100K to get another thousand on the gate. (I realise that this does not work for Chelts as they support historically is a lot less than us)
HeavenAndHele
First Regular
First Regular

Post by HeavenAndHele »

This one's in the lap of the gods (and the numbered balls), but some home FA cup games would be nice.. accompanied by a good long run of course! Would be good financially and in terms of profile.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

From the outside looking in on those two play off games ytou need.... a whole dose of LUCK!! They say that over a season the luck evens out and of course only those who watch every game will know if thats the case but you must have had a huge dose of luck earlier if the game gaianst Crewe and the two against Cheltenham are anything to go by.
Seriously though I think what you need heavily depenbds on if you lose any players. Your defence and goalkeeper is good enough for another promotion chase as is your central midfield. Out wide I would say you need an extra player as IMO (and I have only seen 4 whole games) Morris is not good enough and Stevens is too short to consistently provide. Howe has been tremendous for you but it seems to me you have very little else in the striker department and therefore rely heavily on 1-0 wins. You are much nearer a team for next season than us as we relied heavily on loans that probably won't be coming back.
It has always been my opinion that loans should only be for emergencies and I am a bit disappointed that we seem to be trying to get 3 or 4 loanees back again.In some ways I am jealous of Lings ways of not using loans (whether or not this was forced on him only you will know).
What you definitely lacked was strength in depth in your squad and to be honest you probably used your luck up in that area as no doubt if you had suffered the sort of season we had with injuries your season would have been in tatters. We went though large periods in the season when we had five players injured at once.
I think if you don't lose any players that you need 3-4 players in if you are going to improve on this season and basically they need to be all attacking players as I see little wrong with your defence though one more experienced defender to provide cover would help.
Anyway I think we are both in for an interesting summer though nowhere near the activity of last year!!!! Cheers. Oh and thankyou for not going up...I look forward to the great away day out!!!!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

HeavenAndHele wrote:This one's in the lap of the gods (and the numbered balls), but some home FA cup games would be nice.. accompanied by a good long run of course! Would be good financially and in terms of profile.
Before this year's two away games, we've had 12 of our last 15 in the FA Cup at home. So including this year it's 12/17. Not bad really. Only away games at Bath (W2-0), Stockport (W4-0), Mansfield (W1-0) then Chesterfield & Sheffield United this year.

As for what we need. Like Friendlygas says, our back 5 is good, but if we lose players like Ellis/Bobby/O'Kane they'll need replacing. We do need to add to our attack though, 2 new wingers and a striker please.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

We need to keep as many first team players as we can and some pace and quality up front.

I trust Martin Ling to deal well in the transfer market, but if too many players leave then it will be too much of a job to replace them all on our budget.

In a dream world I would keep 9 players from our recent starting XI, and add two new wingers/forward to play either side of Howe. But O'Kane will be off, and likely Ellis and Lathrope too, so two new first team players (plus strength in depth which we greatly lack) can quickly become 5, before any interest in Bobby or anyone else.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Seventyseven wrote:Whichever league we're in... a new home shirt please! The one we have is bloody awful! and I mean BLOODY AWFUL!
In Your opinion you mean. it isn't to everyone. In fact I quite like this seasons home shirt. But then that's in my opinion too. I suspect that there are things that you like in your opinion that I don't as well. !
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

doogull wrote:we also need better chips
I totaly agree with you. I stopped buying chips or burgers and hot dogs at Plainmoor as I wasn't at all happy with the quality and i do feel it's not only unhealthy crap but expensive unhealthy crap.I bought by food outside. This appears to be the only retrograde step the club have made in the last few seasons. it's like they feel the old days of the greasy spoon were better fare than todays more health conscious public. All in my humble opinion of course. I may feel that the Chairman of Forest Green was a tree hugging nutter with an power company that isn't my cup of tea but at least the fare he put on offer is good quality and healthy.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843