Has Ling pulled the wool over everyones eyes

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Southampton Gull wrote:Borh are excellent signings. Both are local, both are fully committed and full of desire, McPhee scored 17 goals in the division below us last year and if he had a different name you'd be excited about it. They both fit nicely into our budget so yes, both excellent acquisitions, well that is to anyone with open eyes, which seems to exclude you and brucie.
Local and cheap. Hmmm

What about talent? Does that not matter anymore?
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

Trust me, I wasn't getting hot under the collar, just a tad bored and bemused!

My point was that you seem to place undue significance in your 4/5 out of 10 rating on a keeper who won't be playing (Rice), and a winger (Stevens) and utility man (McPhee) who might be regulars on the bench.

I'm by no means enthused by Rice and McPhee returning, but I appreciate they're cheap and committed to the cause. I would give Ling's signings thus far 6.5/7 out of 10, putting greater emphasis on Olejnik, Saah and Howe (3 players who will definitely start when fit).
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

brucie wrote:Andygullagain - Plain fact is that the team which played in the second half against Tiverton actually LOST the game 1-0. Ok its only a friendly but that is hardly an encouraging sign.
Blimey. It's a good thing that it's the combined goals of the two halves that count aint it or we'd be b*ggered.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

Chris B wrote:Trust me, I wasn't getting hot under the collar, just a tad bored and bemused!

My point was that you seem to place undue significance in your 4/5 out of 10 rating on a keeper who won't be playing (Rice), and a winger (Stevens) and utility man (McPhee) who might be regulars on the bench.

I'm by no means enthused by Rice and McPhee returning, but I appreciate they're cheap and committed to the cause. I would give Ling's signings thus far 6.5/7 out of 10, putting greater emphasis on Olejnik, Saah and Howe (3 players who will definitely start when fit).
Those 3 may well turn out to be really good or soemthing else. On paper Olejnik is the best signing, Saah we are sort of hoping is but I am not especially bowled over by us signing Rene Howe. His record has been poor for a few seasons now.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

HRG wrote: Blimey. It's a good thing that it's the combined goals of the two halves that count aint it or we'd be b*ggered.
I'm interested in brucie's views after today's events.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

hector wrote: Those 3 may well turn out to be really good or soemthing else. On paper Olejnik is the best signing, Saah we are sort of hoping is but I am not especially bowled over by us signing Rene Howe. His record has been poor for a few seasons now.
But you accept that those 3 are by and far and away the more important signings we've made (replacing Bevan, Branston, Zebroski)? Rice coming in for Potter (but with less chance of playing as Olejnik's less injury prone than Bevan) is, for instance, comparatively unimportant. Your reservations, particularly about Howe, may turn out to be justified. Personally, I think giving him a settled footballing life will see him do well for us. Let's hope I'm right!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

Chris B wrote: But you accept that those 3 are by and far and away the more important signings we've made (replacing Bevan, Branston, Zebroski)? Rice coming in for Potter (but with less chance of playing as Olejnik's less injury prone than Bevan) is, for instance, comparatively unimportant. Your reservations, particularly about Howe, may turn out to be justified. Personally, I think giving him a settled footballing life will see him do well for us. Let's hope I'm right!
Indeed! Let's hope he can turn it around for us. He has shown, in the past, some potential so hopefully he can realise it here.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

royalgull wrote: I'm interested in brucie's views after today's events.
I am willing to bet that he won't pass any comment at all

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

Warwickgull wrote:
Good post Fonda, some people need to look up SUPPORTER in the dictionary.

:scarf: :scarf:
Who is insulting the new manager?

That sort of statement really pi55es me off. Being a supporter does not mean you have to approve of, or agree with, everything the club does.[/quote]

I dont agree with everything the club does! I simply cannot see why some people choose to portray their opinion as fact in what seems to be a mission to constantly critisise/moan and bash the club for just about everything they do, BEFORE a ball is even kicked in anger. Its one thing to give opinion on signings etc, great, thats fine its all about opinion.

Why come on here and start threads such as this one insulting our new manager who has been in the job for only a few weeks, his team is not even assembled yet, and we have had one warm up run around against Tivvy which was also after a training session. Some of you lot are just bloody pathetic. :red:[/quote]
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

I posted this on another thread, couldn't be bothered to type it again, so just copied and pasted as it seemed relevant to this thread :-

i'm really impressed with the way Ling is going about his business. many of us were getting anxious about lack of signings, and the amount of departures from the club, but you've got to give Ling credit for the way he's putting his squad together. many have questioned the calibre of the players being brought in, and keeping Danny etc etc, but none of us REALLY know how McPhee has developed as a player, or how good Atieno is, and many are assuming Saah is a fantastic signing along with Bobby, but the truth is, we just don't know yet.

my opinion is that Ling knows what he's doing, he's putting together a squad with what resources he has available, and also has quite a few versatile players on the books now (McPhee can play in many positions, as can Oastler, LRT, Manse........) and i am really looking forward to the season starting.

Given the way things looked a few weeks ago, i'd say it's already a successful season, as people who were convinced we were doomed before a ball had been kicked, are now far more optimistic.

No matter your feelings towards any of our players, try getting behind them and giving them your support, instead of getting on their backs for what they've done in a past life. They're our players, they want to play for the club, and good luck to them - i'm happy with what Ling is doing, and who he has brought in - it's time to forget those who couldn't wait to get out.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Olejnik, Oastler, Saah, Morris - all very decent signings i reckon

Howe, Mcphee, Leadbitter (and i'd add Atieno if he signs) - the jury is still out, but i have optimism they will all prove ther worth

Rice, Stevens - the only signings i have slight concerns about, but there are obvious reasons for their recruitment (the proverbial cheap, bench warmers)

All things considered i think he's done some very good business, considering the time and budget he's had to play with. After the performance on Saturday, where we had a first glance at his team and his tactics, i'm more confident than i was just a week ago. I also like the fact that he has this strange notion that using players in their preferred positions. It might just pay dividends.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

Fonda wrote:Olejnik, Oastler, Saah, Morris - all very decent signings i reckon

Howe, Mcphee, Leadbitter (and i'd add Atieno if he signs) - the jury is still out, but i have optimism they will all prove ther worth

Rice, Stevens - the only signings i have slight concerns about, but there are obvious reasons for their recruitment (the proverbial cheap, bench warmers)

All things considered i think he's done some very good business, considering the time and budget he's had to play with. After the performance on Saturday, where we had a first glance at his team and his tactics, i'm more confident than i was just a week ago. I also like the fact that he has this strange notion that using players in their preferred positions. It might just pay dividends.
I think I would group the signings in the same way. A kind of mixed bag of recruits and although the first four are probably strong, I think we are slightly in the deficit if you include the loanees who formed a big part of our team at the end of the season but hopefully, Ling can supplement this squad with some talented loanees and then we may even be stronger than last season. I guess he can add another 5 through the loan system, which, if the parent club is paying the bulk of the salary could benefit us greatly.
knh316
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: dont have one

Post by knh316 »

personally in the first half against bristol city i thought the quality of crosses from chris mcphee were excellent.he tracked back well and think him and joe ostler combined really well,plus the added height of these two will be an added bonus at set pieces in defence and attack.they looked a lot better option than macklin and leadbitter in the second half
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

knh316 wrote:personally in the first half against bristol city i thought the quality of crosses from chris mcphee were excellent.he tracked back well and think him and joe ostler combined really well,plus the added height of these two will be an added bonus at set pieces in defence and attack.they looked a lot better option than macklin and leadbitter in the second half
Would agree with that completely.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
allez mons
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by allez mons »

Hold the bus...................

It is pre-season. Tiverton (didn't attend) & Bristol City (did). These games are for shape, work-outs, patterns etc and not really results based.

Personally, I am not to fussed if a new signing/manager gets things wrong in pre-season. That is the time to get it out of the system. Let's judge after 12 games (1/4 way through) when all players and teams have got match sharpness and the the table sorts itself out.

Keep faith!