Well we wont see Benners in League 2 next season ...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

Well we wont see Benners in League 2 next season ...

Post by CP Gull »

.... has rather surprisingly signed a season long loan with Wycombe in League 1 - so reunited with his good mate Scott Rendell which I'm sure they'll both be happy about.

It's fair to say that it didn't work out for him at Swindon - surprised they didn't give him a bit more time though, particularly as they are now in League 2

http://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/page/New ... 41,00.html
Last edited by CP Gull on 20 Jun 2011, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Strange but good luck to him
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

You've got to wonder what di Canio has up his sleeve for Swindon. This move leaves them with no recognised senior forwards on their books.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Surprised Swindon didn't keep hold of him for league 2 given his scoring record for us in this league last season and having splashed out money on him in January. Am guessing Di Canio has his own players in mind though and needs to raise funds and clear wages in order to make room for them.

I personally think Benyon was unlucky at Swindon, with injuries and playing for a team that really struggled towards the end of the season, which must have mad get difficult to get going. Think he can do okay at Wycombe, and wish him all the best.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

He's a Wycombe fan so I think that must have been part of it.. Good signing though, him and Rendell work well together I feel, and Waddock will know what to do.

Swindon will be interesting this season, Di Canio's certainly got some work to do.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Ok, willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He had a decent record for us in the small part of last season that he spent with us, but I remain convinced that he is not a particularly good footballer (case in point, nor was Ruud Van Nistelrooy).
His time at Swindon was a bit of a farce, signed by a geezer who promptly left, leaving Benners with a manager who could not afford to chance his arm on an unproved striker on keeping them out of the relegation zone.

A move away was always on the cards, but I for one am surprised that it was up a division and not down.

Wycombe were always among the favorites to sign him, so it's no surprise to see he has gone there specifically. I will follow his progress closely and, time will tell if he really is L1 standard, or if he is just an average L2 striker who got a bit lucky at the start of the last year.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

chatting to a current STFC player on FaceyB won't mention names he was very surprised/dissapointed with elliot's quality and development whilst at STFC. Said Elliot didn't stand out as someone having scored a ton of goals at LEague 2 level but was more like an 18 year old making his way in the game. Said he had potential but was miles away from what they thought they were getting.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

royalgull wrote:chatting to a current STFC player on FaceyB won't mention names he was very surprised/dissapointed with elliot's quality and development whilst at STFC. Said Elliot didn't stand out as someone having scored a ton of goals at LEague 2 level but was more like an 18 year old making his way in the game. Said he had potential but was miles away from what they thought they were getting.
Benners took a while to settle here - maybe that is the case when he went to Swindon. Very much a confidence player and a new and pressured environment would not have helped him with his form.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

royalgull wrote:chatting to a current STFC player on FaceyB won't mention names he was very surprised/dissapointed with elliot's quality and development whilst at STFC. Said Elliot didn't stand out as someone having scored a ton of goals at LEague 2 level but was more like an 18 year old making his way in the game. Said he had potential but was miles away from what they thought they were getting.
seems a bit harsh, but i suppose losing charlie austin following the form he was in, i guess they were expecting someone to come in and take over the goal scoring. but benners only went from top(ish) of Div2, to bottom of Div1, so surely they weren't expecting wayne rooney. maybe the swindon players should look at themselves following their top to bottom plunge instead of criticising their new boys.

benners started 2010-11 well, and i'll always be grateful for his contribution in keeping us up in 09-10, where he was excellent. his strength in dv2 was his workrate, and never giving defenders a minutes peace, but the higher you go, you need a bit more about you. he got a good share of goals without really being a natural finisher - would be great if Billy Kee could gain some of that fitness as i believe he's got a better eye for goal than benners. will be interesting to see how he gets on at Wycombe, what with him being from that area, and good luck to him.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I do believe a lot of us told their fans what they were getting at the time he left. Only Fonda IIRC was mourning his departure.

I think we did ok out of that deal :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

He was playing in a team destined for relegation. I doubt they were creating much in the way of chances. Add to that his injury, and his time sat on the bench, it s hardly surprising he struggled.

We ve seen first hand his proficiency at putting the ball in the net. Waddock certainly knows it, and I expect Scotty gave his own opinion on his merits too. Good luck to him, reckon he ll do well there.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
shaunicus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by shaunicus »

Not only a relegation team, but a Paul Hart team. Swindon were incredibly negative under Hart and rarely deviated from a defensive 4-5-1 formation. He never got a regular run in the team either - having to make do with 5 minute cameos from the bench on the most part.

It's worth noting that Benyon and Rendell are very good friends, and imo struck up a fantastic partnership at TUFC towards the back end of our first season back in the FL (in fact, I'd go as far to say that Benyon never looked as good in a Torquay shirt as he did in that spell playing with Rendell.)

He deserves a proper crack at League One and Wycombe will be a good move for him. They play the game the right way, he knows the area, and I'm sure he'll strike up a great partnership with Rendell once again.

Good luck to him.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Shaunicus, are you professing manlove for EB based on how he looks in a football shirt?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
stratfordgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bobby O...oh no

Post by stratfordgull »

Hmmm. Well I certainly ran forward for a Benners\Gulls Supporters group hug when he scored away at Wycombe last season, not long before he left if I remember rightly?
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Agree with Ferrari on most points. Benners scoring record stands up at L2 level but he is a poor all round footballer. Not strong, not good in the air and not particularly quick either. A lot of his goals were either a scuffed shot after getting half a yard on a defender or tap ins. That said i'm not decrying the job he did for us, he was very effective but i am surprised he went to a club as 'big' as Swindon. I can only think that they just looked at stats when buying Benners and not really studied performance. Benyon certainly wasn't given any sort of chance to show what he could do. I do believe that he will be effective at Wycombe and i would be happy to even see him back here at Plainmoor.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.