Branston going... NOW OFFICIAL !!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

Like others have said, Guy was brilliant for us, but would it of been the best idea for him to have signed a 2 year contract? I don't think so, he is replaceable in my opinion and to have him on a 2 year contract would of been a mistake.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I messaged him on FB thanking him for his time down here and he replied "love the club and the fans . great place . x"

You will be missed Guy and TUFC92 (IMHO) - far from replaceable.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Disagree. He's 32 not 42 at the end of the contract he'll be 34, we've just seen Duberry (35) get two years at Oxford, Coughlan (36) get two years at Southend, Branno has taken his coaching badges or he's doing them so I'm sure at the end of those 2 years he may have been able to combine the roles. You also see nearly all the teams at the top of this league had a big strong, experienced warhorse at centre half, i just can't see how he wasn't worth 2 years here. His legs aren't going to go because he doesn't have pace anyway. He's a leader, he's the main reason our defensive record has been so outstanding the last 18months, and he's proven to be one of the best and in my opinion the best centre back in the league over that time frame.

He settled here, he produced some of his best football for ages over that time and i don't see why he'd suddenly have turned rubbish, i don't buy that.

it's a massive massive blow to lose Guy. His consistency, influence and ability to talk to an encourage team mates is something both Robertson and especially Ellis need to learn..quickly.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

I agree Royal he was worth a 2 year deal, but the club did offer him a two year deal.
End of the day we cant compare to wages against the likes of Bradford and hes gone gor more money. Maybe also he may see them as a bigger club and chance to get promoted now.
Im sad to see him go and was quality, but its football. Just have to hope Ellis and Robbo can step up or if we bring anyone new in.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Indeed it is a blow to lose Branno - but it would appear we did offer him a two year contract, so it would seem that it was money that assisted in the decision making process. Not that I blame him - if I was offered more money to do the same job elsewhere then I would go too, although there are obviously other factors to consider when making a move.

The fact is that Branno has always been a journeyman, and I am thankful for his efforts here. The club have obviously tried their best to keep him here, by offering him the two year contract and (one would imagine) improved financial terms, but not enough to compete with the bigger teams.

We move onwards and, hopefully, upwards!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

tufcbrett wrote:I agree Royal he was worth a 2 year deal, but the club did offer him a two year deal.
End of the day we cant compare to wages against the likes of Bradford and hes gone gor more money. Maybe also he may see them as a bigger club and chance to get promoted now.
Im sad to see him go and was quality, but its football. Just have to hope Ellis and Robbo can step up or if we bring anyone new in.
My annoyance is it wasn't sorted in January. Even if we'd gone up Branston would have started for us or been used heavily. We weren't suddenly going to spend a load of cash on a new team. He's also played and won promotion from that league in the past.

Leaving it till the week just gone, well we had no chance with competing with the likes of BRadford. It was evident that Branston wanted a new contract here for a long time, yet the club never sorted anything out with him, crazy.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Richinns wrote:I messaged him on FB thanking him for his time down here and he replied "love the club and the fans . great place . x"

You will be missed Guy and TUFC92 (IMHO) - far from replaceable.
He's a League 2 footballer, so is most definitely replaceable. He did a decent job, but we've lost better players in the past.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

royalgull wrote: My annoyance is it wasn't sorted in January. Even if we'd gone up Branston would have started for us or been used heavily. We weren't suddenly going to spend a load of cash on a new team. He's also played and won promotion from that league in the past.

Leaving it till the week just gone, well we had no chance with competing with the likes of BRadford. It was evident that Branston wanted a new contract here for a long time, yet the club never sorted anything out with him, crazy.
Buckle is likely to be the reason for that!

I reckon he stalled thinking he would take him to Rovers. He did offer him a contract after all!
Last edited by Richinns on 14 Jun 2011, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Fonda wrote: He's a League 2 footballer, so is most definitely replaceable. He did a decent job, but we've lost better players in the past.
His playing qualities - YES but his personality and effect of others around him - NO. He is was a big factor in team morale and others form.
TUST member 328
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

i am in total agreement he will be missed off the pitch as much (if not more) than on it. On it we can replace him, but he was such a huge character around the place, and a great leader for the younger lads. it's that experience that Martin Ling will need to find, to bring into the dressing room.

for the record, Rio Ferdinand is 32 - too old ????
Brady

I Wish I Was There
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Good luck Guy! You most certainly will be missed. Enjoy playing before 10,000 each home game.You did make a massive difference to United.
God I would not want to live in Bradford!! Money must be good!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Come on Shane (and others), there's more to him that just being a L2 footballer. How will Bury replace 30 goal Ryan Lowe? If he is so emminently replacable, why doesn't every team already have a Branno just lying around, waiting to be picked?

Yes, there are other defenders on earth, and yes, some of them may be up to L2 standards in some departments, but Pickles was genuinely exceptional for a number of the things he brought to the table. His leadership, experience, aerial ability and cultured left foot (ok, maybe not) are something which cannot be bought in at all, without replacing like for like, in which case, it was pointless to remove Branno in the first place.

We will, no doubt, be stronger in a number of key areas next season as a result of his departure, because it will free up a space for the faster, more mobile Mark Ellis, but, overall, it is my view that we are worse off as a team, and perhaps even as a club, for the enduring absence of Pickles.

All defenders are equal, it's just that some are more equal than others.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Richinns wrote: His playing qualities - YES but his personality and effect of others around him - NO. He is was a big factor in team morale and others form.
I agree, it was his character and experience that helped the younger players. But he's not the only lower league player to have those attributes. Many teams have them, and i'm sure we'll find another.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Fonda wrote:I agree, it was his character and experience that helped the younger players. But he's not the only lower league player to have those attributes. Many teams have them, and i'm sure we'll find another.
This is the problem though, the other clubs are sensible enough to sign them up!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

I think having Ellis waiting in the wings helps soften the blow of Branstons departure. Stanley is a greater loss & would've definitely preferred to have kept him. Low & behold we don't get either.