So much negativity!!?...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Southampton Gull wrote:.........and a Manager who doesn't sort his future out with another club before we even know what League we'll be in. :@
Fair enough - agreed Dave!
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Completely agree with the initial post there, Si. I was shocked when i logged on this morning to see everyone Buckle bashing and having a go at various players for their performance. Did they play well? No. I won't defend that performance but that is the very nature of the game we know and love!

It does look likely that Buckle will go, it's true. But people are saying that he will pull apart our squad but as far as i have heard we only have like 4 players out of contract that he could get for free, and i wouldn't begrudge him taking Stevens or Potter! Fair enough, he might take Branston, and at Brizzle he might have the funds to get Tomlin permantently but that it's our squad pulled apart. We have a fantastic young side and i firmly believe the likes of O'Kane and even Ellis could well go on to play at a higher level and bring in some much needed money to the club.

So I, for one, look forward to next season with excitement and trepidation, as i do for any season. And i cannot wait until our season kicks off with whatever side we have on the field.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Negativity, positivity, then there's if . . .

http://www.kipling.org.uk/poems_if.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

As was the general agreement in a previous thread following the Rotherham game, it's a disapointing result but the season as a whole has been a great success. My worry (which I expect others share) is that Buckle and a number of our better players will now leave based on this year's good performance, and thus not allow us to build on the success, so I can understand negativity in the form of trepidation in that sense, but when do we ever know what to expect from the Gulls?

The negativity I couldn't stand was from some fans during the game. Admittedly the first half wasn't great, but it didn't mean all of our players were immediately crap. A single piece of miscontrol does not mean we should ship a player out of the club immediately or make them the worst player you've ever seen. We've seen them all do great things this season, so cheer them on and encourage them to hit those heights again, don't berate them when they fall short. If we didn't believe why should the players?
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Bigman wrote:As was the general agreement in a previous thread following the Rotherham game, it's a disapointing result but the season as a whole has been a great success. My worry (which I expect others share) is that Buckle and a number of our better players will now leave based on this year's good performance, and thus not allow us to build on the success, so I can understand negativity in the form of trepidation in that sense, but when do we ever know what to expect from the Gulls?

The negativity I couldn't stand was from some fans during the game. Admittedly the first half wasn't great, but it didn't mean all of our players were immediately crap. A single piece of miscontrol does not mean we should ship a player out of the club immediately or make them the worst player you've ever seen. We've seen them all do great things this season, so cheer them on and encourage them to hit those heights again, don't berate them when they fall short. If we didn't believe why should the players?
Agree I think that what is often overlooked is that these are League 2 players ... the fault I suppose of gross over exposure to the Premiership!
MuzDog
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by MuzDog »

Bigman wrote:My worry (which I expect others share) is that Buckle and a number of our better players will now leave based on this year's good performance, and thus not allow us to build on the success, so I can understand negativity in the form of trepidation in that sense, but when do we ever know what to expect from the Gulls?
I fear Branston could follow Buckle to Bristol Rovers. The other fear is we could miss out on the services of some of the loan stars like Craig Stanley.

But the January transfer window will be the biggest test when the likes of Zeb and Ellis, who will be 24 in February, have only have six months left on their contract and we could be forced to cash in below their market value. O'Kane is less of a worry as he is under 24 so we'd get a fee set by tribunal if he were to leave.
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Bigman »

If I'm being pessimistic, 5 or 6 of our starting line up might not be here come August. Obviously that's less of a shock regarding our 2 loan players, but if the right money gets offered for some of our good young players with only a year on their contract I fear they could go. January transfers will likely depend on how well they're doing for us up till then, so if like Benyon they perform well for us and catch the eye of a higher league team then fair play to them, but I'd prefer they were at Torquay to give us a good half-season in the first place.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Reasons to be positive.

We're not going to get pummelled next season as regarldess of the result yesterday, we dont have enough quality for a promotion team

Enjoyed my day out even if it felt no sooner had I got there I was heading out of OT.

I for one am looking forward to some local away days near me next season.
TUST #324
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

League 2 is going to be a totally different proposition next year - Plymouth,Crawley,Swindon,Bristol Rovers. We will do well to avoid relegation.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote:League 2 is going to be a totally different proposition next year - Plymouth,Crawley,Swindon,Bristol Rovers. We will do well to avoid relegation.

Agreed.
Dave

numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Aldershot, Morecambe, Accrington, Wimbledon, Macclesfield, Barnet, Dagenham,Cheltenham, Burton, Hereford.

All similar clubs to ourselves.

Get real.
TUST #324
bc-gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Pearce

Post by bc-gull »

I think expectations will be mid table! We will have to wait and see who our manager is next year and if we can keep our best players..

I do believe we need to improve certain areas of our squad and our squad compared to what crawley, swindon and rovers will have wont be good enough for promotion, I dont see relegation as a problem, I think mid-table will suit us, anything better and I consider it a good season ;-)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

numpte wrote:Aldershot, Morecambe, Accrington, Wimbledon, Macclesfield, Barnet, Dagenham,Cheltenham, Burton, Hereford.

All similar clubs to ourselves.

Get real.

Ten clubs there, how many do you think we'll finish above next season?

I'll wager we'll have a smaller budget than any of them apart from maybe Accrington.
Dave

citizengull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by citizengull »

What is needed now is to get a new manager in as soon as possible so he can bring in his players and build as soon as he can. But my fear is we will be left waiting then the chance of building will have gone.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

i agree with Brucie in part only,league 2 will be different next season bigger clubs some with spending power,and oh yes Creepy aswell,while our playing squad and manager maybe different next season,i do not see us as relegation fodder,i do 100% think that there will not be a promotion push next season though.
Formerly known as forevertufc