Torquay VS Eastleigh 7:45 24.9

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
YorkshireGully
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Reidy

Post by YorkshireGully »

Road2League2 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 22:15 SURPRISE SURPRISE The TUFC slating GJ and the squad. No doubt the same people who slated Reidy before he came good and won us the NLS. We’ve got key players out injured and we’ve had a mediocre start sitting us mid-table. CHILL OUT you’ll be singing their praises when they start winning. COYY

@YorkshireGully
Have heard it all before haven't we start of last season people calling for Reidys head I won't name them tonight but you all know who you are get behind the team who would have thought we would be playing Stockport county this time last year :lol: hope to see you there Road2League2 COYY :scarf:
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

I Think it's time Shaun Macdonald goes back in goal, Cavagnari is a good shot stopper but he does not own his penalty box, He doesn't come out for crosses or corners, he does not take control of his box and this leaves defenders nervous. where as Shaun does take control of his box and would come out and catch crosses and corners and this helps defenders now that there keeper has control, Even just a good loud shout KEEPERS can but a striker off as thay are unsure if thay are going to get a whack from the Keeper when going up for a ball. And Cavagnari at times needs to calm him self down and look at different options when kicking from his hand, it doesn't need to go long all the time sometimes a throw out will set a good break on, also at the end of last season when Connor Lemonheigh Evans went back to his parent club we struggled to win games and looked a different side with out him, we need another Connor type player signed on (young or old) as I don't think even with the injuries we have at the moment we have that type of player and if Connor is recalled by his club then we will be a middle of the table team.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

The last two home games have been entertaining as the visitors have tried to play an open style of football - Eastleigh, in particular, played a quick tempo passing game, often one-touch passing because they played as a supportive team. We can play also but seem to run out of steam and confidence, and so revert to hacking the ball forwards in the air - indeed I lost count of the times we hoofed the ball to the Eastleigh keeper.
Our set plays need honing tactically - we scored a super goal from a short corner, but the majority of our corners went long and over heads, whereas all but one of Eastleigh's deliveries went into the six-yard area with obvious danger given our inherent failure this season to clear our lines.
We have to learn from such matches and to stick with playing on the deck - there is no point lobbing the ball into the opposition penalty area as we have no-one who is likely to score very often with a header. Our forwards are too static in the box, and we rarely exploit or attack the near-post with low balls in even though such play is as likely to produce an own-goal as a tap-in.
We badly need a target man for Jamie to play off - opposition teams are learning to mark our top-scorer out of the game, or he has to come away so wide of goal as to be of no threat.
Ultimately, we are a young side and you just cannot buy experience, but you can stick to a game plan...
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

We Miss ASA Hall leadership, we miss him in midfield helping the defence. Ultimately we’re lacking experience. Whitfield joined us at the perfect time. He’s been a joy to watch.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

To me having watched the highlights it wasn't as bad as people are making out. If they are a true reflection of the game you'd be forgiven for thinking that Dick Turpin wasn't dead because on the chances there is no way we deserved to lose.

People seem to be blaming anyone from Covolan to Jamie Reid, but if you look at the interview with Johnson you get a more accurate view of the conditions that we were playing against in the second half. Driving rain and a howling force ten by the sound of it.

Their first goal is a complete fluke - couldn't have fallen any better for Hollands who completely cocks it up and shoots straight at the keeper until a ridiculous deflection sends it into the net. Great strike for their second but honestly its just cannoned off someones head straight into the scorers path who instinctively swings his boot at it for a wonder goal. Play that scenario another 99 times and it wouldn't end up in the net again. Someone actually blamed Covalan for getting lobbed!!

Yes we've got still got quite a few injuries but yet another game when we have comfortably outscored the opposition in terms of chances, and its been going on all season. We just don't seem to be able to find a way to win. Desperately frustrating.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I, for one was not calling for Reidy's head, I am asking people to make an honest appraisal of his work rate and seemingly lack of interest especially when he doesn't have the ball, you cannot assume that because he smashed 30 odd goals last season in a regional part time league he was going to do the same this year. On Tuesday when we had a corner or free kick we kept three players back to marshal their two, when the opposite happened they left one player back to guard Reid, were they taking a chance or have they done their homework. Reid is a good player at this level if he plays alongside a competent centre forward, he can play his way but no other, Reidy is undoubtedly the first name on the team sheet and therein lies the problem, he thinks himself fireproof. At Stockport I would play Duku and Keating up front and Reid on the bench, not because the other two are better players but we need to change things around.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Do you actually have some in built hatred of Reid. Your continuing haranging of him is quite frankly embarrassing.
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

Sorry to intrude but you Guys and Gals need to stay behind the team and more so than anyone else, Jamie Reid, after the gross abuse he suffered last year. I wonder if the Players read your stuff ? Stay behind them !

Last season at this time - had we made mid-table ? I don't think so. Give GJ and the Squad a chance to make it gel and take it from there. Maybe we won't go up this season but do better next. It's amazing to read you taking lumps out here and there - give it time.

My own team Nakhon Ratchasima are fighting to stay clear of relegation from the Thai Premier despite being in the top 3 for attendances and having a record 37,000 crowd once ! Come on Torquay !!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Played well for 70 minutes, then our keeper started to waste time. Time wasting spread through the team and that was that.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Played well for 70 minutes, then our keeper started to waste time. Time wasting spread through the team and that was that.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I think the appraisal of Reid is well wide of the mark. Thought he worked hard, put in a lot of thankless running. Even dropped in to mark Payne who was finding space just behind our midfield, in the first half.
TUST number 080
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Brucie, I have praised Reidy as much as I have criticised him, check back on the postings. But as they say there is none so blind as those that will not see.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Thats putting it politely - it is embarrassing -come on Culmstock - you cannot be serious ! Playing Duku in place of Reid !
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I would nt criticize Reid's work rate. It doesn't matter who plays up front because we are not creating the chances. Last year our midfield was strong and we were creating chances from everywhere. So far this season due to injuries we have not been able to select our strongest midfield, so its become difficult. We are not creating anything like the chances of last season. Obviously moving up a division makes things even tougher. You can play whatever combination you like up front but until we get a hold of midfield it s not going to happen.
Last Saturday for the 1st half Reid was up front alone, how's he suppose to operate with no quality service in the areas of his strengths.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

culmstockgull wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 18:24 But as they say there is none so blind as those that will not see.
Maybe you should read this statement to yourself, it applies in full.

You asked for an honest appraisal on Jamie Reid, as I posted last week, Jamie Reid is not only the joint second highest scorer in the NLP, has the second highest goals per games ratio, what more do you want from him, and that's with out Janneh, refer to others as being blind when it comes to Reid, yet you want him replaced in the team with Duku and keating , strange but true.

In trying some how to put down Jamie Reid, in not so many words you refer to the NLS as some kind of local kickabout league, maybe could learn to show a bit more respect for the standard of footballer that play at this level, many of whom, despite being offered full time contracts, choose to play at semi-pro level, after all maybe we should look at Kabongo Tshimanga, who also played in the regional non-league last season, the current top scorer at our level.

Suggest you look at the video's of Jamie Reid's goals from last season, to the current day, if you could open your own eye's you may just notice he's fast developing into to a very accomplished finisher, of course more work is needed, but should he continue, it won't be long before clubs at a higher level may become interested.

Then you question his work rate and desire, on that point words simply fail me. Brucie let you of lightly.
Formerly known as forevertufc