BBC Pull Commentary of Torquay Games

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 14:11 charming...

you can keep that stereotypical reference to yourself pal.

......oh of course I forgot, Torquay is in the beautiful south and is still the dogs bo11ocks place to live like it was in the 70's and not the sh1thole that it apparently is now...... :no:
touchy lot you northerners aren't you.... pal! :rofl: give it a rest,it was a joke.... if you must know, I think Torquay's a shithole too and thankfully I don't live there anymore.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

How dare you refer to Torquay as a shithole, that's offensive to shitholes, and far to much praise indeed. ;-)
Formerly known as forevertufc
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Having suffered driving up and down the M6 in the last few days, I can confirm it’s bloody grim up north.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

The first game is getting closer! Do we know yet which games the feckwit at RD is going to grace us with their commentary yet? And if they decide we are beneath them are we any closer to doing our own? The ideal situation would be we do our own permanently so when they come crawling back we can tell them to do one.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 18:48 I refer you to Brucie's OP re Hereford on Radio Worcestershire. You might say that they are a similar size/historical club to us.....
brucie wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 19:11 Madgull - what a ridiculous post that is if ever there was one. Why do you think that BBC Radio stations cover the likes of Kidderminster, York and Hereford then?
Oh good, three clubs out of 44 get coverage, so we should be getting it too. So glad I understand now. Jesus Christ. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

If you cannot see the distinction between the likes of Hungerford and Torquay then you are a complete idiot.

In any case there will be commentary of the Bath City game - bath do their own commentary and have their own website. They have also covered all their friendlies.

http://www.bathcityinternetradio.co.uk/
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 19:33 Having suffered driving up and down the M6 in the last few days, I can confirm it’s bloody grim up north.
M6 grim? You need to try the M25
Lucy
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

brucie wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 17:49 If you cannot see the distinction between the likes of Hungerford and Torquay then you are a complete idiot.
I don't recall ever saying there wasn't a distinction, and methinks those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones :-D

Once again, your kind of entitled attitude is what got us into this mess in the first place. If you can bring up a valid reason why we should have radio commentary that doesn't revolve around this ridiculous, damaging idea that we somehow deserve it based on past stature, then please enlighten me. Otherwise, shush now, sweetheart.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Referring to BBC Worcestershire broadcasting Hereford's games and BBC Devon not airing ours; Hereford are on an upward trajectory, we are not, and we may soon find ourselves on a par with the likes of Hungerford with sub-1000 crowds.
Just because we have a league past and a larger ground than most at this level does not entitle us to special treatment.
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

The basic point is that Mark Grinnell - managing editor of Radio Devon has the money to broadcast commentaries of Torquay United home and away but is choosing not to. For example in 2014 he controversially employed Simon Bates for a lorry load of cash, he could have gone for someone cheaper but chooses not to. He has an expensive company phone but could have a cheaper one but chooses not to. He will only care if fans make an effort to say they want to listen and contact him directly. On twitter he is Mark Grinnell @TwitGrinnell. It is clear he has no interest in football but very keen to promote his selfies with Kirsty Allsopp, Will Young, and even a crew from CNN but most of the time he can't get close enough to stardust, yet still posts the occasional pics of someone vaguely famous. You can contact him on [email protected] but it will probably be ignored or the reply will mention lack of money. In 2016 he proudly promoted the remit of Radio Devon https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-12453758 and I quote "BBC Radio Devon is proud to be the official commentary station of local sport with football commentaries on Torquay, Exeter and Plymouth Argyle games, plus live coverage of Exeter Chiefs Rugby and reports of other sporting activities." It should not matter which league we are in as this is a service to Devon people which he himself thought was true a couple of years ago. The best chance to be noticed is direct action by phoning BBC Devon's reception desk in Plymouth on 01752 260323. Be polite but ask them to pass on the message to our friend Mark that we want our commentaries back.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

I believe the club should step up and try resolve this issue. Us fans shouldn’t have to go without due to the clubs performances which had led us to be relagated
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

madgull wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 23:38

Once again, your kind of entitled attitude is what got us into this mess in the first place. If you can bring up a valid reason why we should have radio commentary that doesn't revolve around this ridiculous, damaging idea that we somehow deserve it based on past stature, then please enlighten me.
It's got nothing to do with past stature though has it?

Surely the only relevant factor should be whether the number of listeners is going to decrease. I would suggest that this number is unlikely to reduce next season and may even increase. Yet Mr. Grinnell has stated in an email response to a fan (see below) that the most important factor in his decision is the division we will be playing in and not the prospective listenership.

"I appreciate that this commentary decision won’t be what everyone wants to hear but when making decisions like this I do take a range of factors into consideration; these include the measured performance of the sport programme, the fan base of clubs and – most crucially – the division they play in"
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

A few years ago it looked liked Plymouth Argyle's financial plight might mean they drop to non league. If they had slipped to our level would the BBC have stopped commentaries? Obviously no, therefore Mark Grinnell - managing editor of Radio Devon needs to think up a better reply. He is not a football man so is hardly following the highs and lows of the football pyramid. However, his responsibility is to serve the needs of the Devon people. He is assuming no one will be annoyed but if you are tell him!
Email [email protected]
Twitter: Mark Grinnell @TwitGrinnell.
Phone BBC Devon's reception desk in Plymouth on 01752 260323. Be polite but ask them to pass on the message to our friend Mark that we want our commentaries back.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Exactly right - there is no justification in withdrawing the commentary because our fanbase remains exactly the same and this starstruck bonehead should be providing a service to listeners of devon - not just Exeter and Plymouth.

As you say he could afford to employ Simon Bates but can't afford to provide commentaries which are probably quite cheap to provide in the first place. It is absolute nonsense.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

You are right Brucie but all the fan moaning in the world won't change a thing. It's for the club to sort it with the BBC. ..and as usual they are silent on the issue ( and many others) Just to remind the club the season starts on Saturday....