Torquay United vs Cardiff City 20.7.18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Bxm Foxy »

I like Warnock, I think he genuinely likes us, and of course Argyle. As for Cardiff, I can remember them bringing about 20 odd on a Tuesday evening at Plainmoor. Not really a big club.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I remember a midweek game where the Cardiff fans forced their way through the gate between the away end and popside. There was only about a dozen who were going for it but their following that night was pitiful.

Prefer Swansea......
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Early season Saturday evening kick off for a League Cup game about 1977 or 1978 - about 1000 Cardiff fans in Torquay all day - absolute mayhem - a lot of beer can be consumed prior to an evening kick off - Torquay won - Loads of windows smashed down through Ellacombe to the town. Still, a long time ago and the football environment has changed.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Its was 1977, a league cup tie. Never been so scared in my life upto that point. Didn't a copper die of meningitis after a Cardiff thug spat in his face?
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 13:25 Its was 1977, a league cup tie. Never been so scared in my life upto that point. Didn't a copper die of meningitis after a Cardiff thug spat in his face?
Yes Chris Wilson - only 27 and a fit sportsman - excellent cricketer. The link could of course never be proved but was the most likely cause. He was taken ill only a few days later and died within 24 hours of developing symptoms.
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Bxm Foxy »

Yeah remember that evening Burnhamgull, about 20 of them in the away end until they got into the pop side. If I remember rightly, was pretty much the only entertainment of the evening!
Cardiff City
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Cardiff City »

Hi,

Just thought I’d sign up to ask a few questions as I’m coming down for the game a week Friday and staying the weekend.
It be my first time to Torquay so would like any advise off you guys on where’s the best places to eat and what’s the nightlife like.

Also what sort of home crowd are you expecting? They still haven’t put tickets on sale for us so not sure if it is just pay on gate, I’d expect we should have a 1,000 or so traveling.

Thanks in advance for your reply’s and wish you all the best for the new season.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

An original thread was made on 2nd June , best reading that if that helps
Lucy
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Cardiff City wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 18:50 Hi,

Just thought I’d sign up to ask a few questions as I’m coming down for the game a week Friday and staying the weekend.
It be my first time to Torquay so would like any advise off you guys on where’s the best places to eat and what’s the nightlife like.

Also what sort of home crowd are you expecting? They still haven’t put tickets on sale for us so not sure if it is just pay on gate, I’d expect we should have a 1,000 or so traveling.

Thanks in advance for your reply’s and wish you all the best for the new season.
It's all ticket for away fans apparently with the tickets only being sold at your place.

https://www.torquayunited.com/pre-seaso ... ome-games/

Our away section holds about 1500 I think. No chance of the home ends selling out so I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems getting in if the away end sells out.

There are a few pubs in the Plainmoor area including our own bar under the family stand where I'm sure you would be welcome (as long as you behave ;-)). Other than that there are some nice places to eat and drink in Babbacome which is a 15 minute walk from the ground and has some stunning views (if you're into that sort of thing).

Night life down by the harbour is usually pretty "lively".

Any chance of us having Rhys Healey back? ;-)
Cardiff City
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Cardiff City »

Jerry wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 19:08 It's all ticket for away fans apparently with the tickets only being sold at your place.

https://www.torquayunited.com/pre-seaso ... ome-games/

Our away section holds about 1500 I think. No chance of the home ends selling out so I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems getting in if the away end sells out.

There are a few pubs in the Plainmoor area including our own bar under the family stand where I'm sure you would be welcome (as long as you behave ;-)). Other than that there are some nice places to eat and drink in Babbacome which is a 15 minute walk from the ground and has some stunning views (if you're into that sort of thing).

Night life down by the harbour is usually pretty "lively".

Any chance of us having Rhys Healey back? ;-)
Thanks £10 tickets too so well priced. Will have a look into what you recommended.

As for Rhys Healey I cant see him getting into our 25 man squad next year so I be surprised if you haven’t asked. Rumours down here is that he may be off to Newport which is only a few miles away.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Does anyone know of anyone driving to the game from Bristol or Cardiff tomorrow? Need a ride south!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 22:22 Does anyone know of anyone driving to the game from Bristol or Cardiff tomorrow? Need a ride south!
I expect there will be a few from Cardiff ;-)

You might get more luck on their forum
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Thanks Jerry - I posted there too but have managed to find some obscure train times that don’t cost the world!

Also picked up on Cardiff’s preseason record so far - after going ‘easy’ on the local lads in Taffs Well they have been scoring for fun:

Bodmin Town 1-11 Cardiff City
AFC Tavistock 0-6 Cardiff City
Taff’s Well 0-3 Cardiff City

Let’s hope they don’t find it quite so easy to breeze through through us tonight, though the early reports of our fitness levels leave me a little concerned for this game!!

I’m sure it will be an entertaining game to watch - Cardiff have also sold over 700 tickets in advance for the game with many more expected to travel so let’s hope for some atmosphere around Plainmoor tonight!
Last edited by Bristol_Gull on 20 Jul 2018, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Also - in reference to the reports from our fans it would seem that Mr Pittman has earned the right to be picked ahead of Reid and Keating. Given his lack of game time I would be interested to see what he can do.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

I'm convinced we played Cardiff in a cup game of some sort about, I dunno...25 years ago?

We won 4-2 with Richard Hancox (of all people) getting a hat-trick, including one via a bicycle kick!

Someone please reassure that I'm not finally going mad..
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.