The Captain jumps ship

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

The Captain jumps ship

Post by midtable »

McGinty,has signed a two-year contract at Scottish Championship club Partick Thistle.

I always thought he had a touch of class and in the warm up routines his first touch was exceptional. Still, like a lot of players at this level he was not perfect. Good luck to him in Scotland.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

midtable wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 00:08 McGinty,has signed a two-year contract at Scottish Championship club Partick Thistle.

I always thought he had a touch of class and in the warm up routines his first touch was exceptional. Still, like a lot of players at this level he was not perfect. Good luck to him in Scotland.
Not sure about jumping, he's left one that is sinking
Lucy
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

midtable wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 00:08 McGinty,has signed a two-year contract at Scottish Championship club Partick Thistle.

Can’t tell if that’s sarcasm? We’ve had some extremely limited centre backs over the last 3 years - McGinty and Gerring spring straight to mind. Glad he’s gone, definitely part of the problem rather than a potential solution.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

No loss.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Suspect he will be missed and maybe appreciated now he’s left. Would need to be measured against any replacement and so far progress in recruitment has been depressingly slow. Could even be we see more outs than ins this week - that would be seriously worrying for 2018/19. Of course a prompt series of new signings would bump start things but not sure that is likely. If Owers does get new blood then the pressure will be off him in the short term but the expectation for success in the campaign will build.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

His defending won't be missed - that's for sure.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Wolborough wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 08:47 Suspect he will be missed and maybe appreciated now he’s left. Would need to be measured against any replacement and so far progress in recruitment has been depressingly slow. Could even be we see more outs than ins this week - that would be seriously worrying for 2018/19. Of course a prompt series of new signings would bump start things but not sure that is likely. If Owers does get new blood then the pressure will be off him in the short term but the expectation for success in the campaign will build.
I tend to agree that he will be missed. Although not a direct left side replacement the signing of Jakub Sokolík is, nonetheless, a blessing in disguise. We are lucky to get a quality centre back signing to play 'regional' football.

I am not expecting success to build. Success from day one has to be a given. Owers was brought in to get us back into the football league not maintain us as a mid-table 'regional' football club. However I have no fears for as Gary says " I know what it takes".

In Gary, the recruitment king, we trust!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

As someone who saw 23 games last season, I would say it is his defending which WILL be missed
Very good at clearing the ball from the danger areas. It is his use of the ball which wont be missed
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

Nothing on the TUFC official website, with it being the main place for official news on the club. I guess we can't accept it's confirmed until then.

Who is in charge of the media side of things at this club? Is it a part time gig?

They need a rocket up their arse, the communication is abysmal.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Absolutely fecking useless - the club does not have a clue about communicating with the fan base. Countless examples of missed opportunities - for instance Boots has been reopened they are open for World Cup matches you would have thought this was a good opportunity to advertise the refurbished bar and to show how the evening went yesterday but of course - bugger all from TUFC.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I never saw McGinty play, but how does he match up against Reg Wyatt? (or Phil Lloyd ['Mr. Consistency']) for that matter?
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

wivelgull wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 10:42 I never saw McGinty play, but how does he match up against Reg Wyatt? (or Phil Lloyd ['Mr. Consistency']) for that matter?
Reg Wyatt last played for Torquay United 51 years ago.

You can't make a comparison between the two, the game's evolved too much since.

He will be missed at the centre of defence. McGinty's a big, brave centre half, prone to hoofing it under pressure & capable of the odd rush of blood to the head - especially under pressure. A decent centre half though, I'd have preferred a TUFC defence with him than without (this season anyway.)
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Phil lloyd was class. Couldn't compare
Nathan Strong
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Vincent Dorel

Post by Nathan Strong »

desperado wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 16:38 As someone who saw 23 games last season, I would say it is his defending which WILL be missed
Very good at clearing the ball from the danger areas. It is his use of the ball which wont be missed
I agree, I think he would've been decent at a lower level but he surrendered possession nearly every time he played it out of defence.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

McGinty is a trier and a 100 per center so will be missed in that respect - especially if you put him up against that serial malingerer Gowling.

People harp on about is distribution but that never bothered me about him. His weaknesses are his inabilty to close people down inside the penalty where he gets done time and time again often resulting in goals against and his lack of pace on the turn where he gets found out.

Player who always did his best for us - unfortunately his bets was often not very good. There is no comparing him with the commanding Reg Wyatt.