2018 World Cup Thread

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

2018 World Cup Thread

Post by midtable »

Is there any vague link between Torquay United and one of the competing nations at the World Cup? A loan player, someone behind the scenes, maybe a cousin of a former player or a colleague who knows a friend who prints the panini stickers etc.

In the past we have shared the dream with the late, great Norman Medhurst as the physio for England while Luboš Kubík (around in the awful Roberts era) was once assistant coach to the USA.

I assume the only thing we can look forward to in Russia is the hopeful sighting of an England flag in the crowd with TUFC on it.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Yes, found a link............ Brazil also play in yellow...........
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Rory Fallon appeared in all of New Zealand's group games in the 2010 South Africa world cup. He also appeared a handful of times for Torquay unfortunately.
HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

Jamie Vardy scored his first goal for Leicester at Plainmoor in a League Cup match.
HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

Very tenuously......Miranda Hart was born in Torquay. Brazilian player Miranda may or may not have taken his playing name as a tribute to her and her Torquay heritage..... we just don't know!
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

HockeyGull wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 19:24 Very tenuously......Miranda Hart was born in Torquay. Brazilian player Miranda may or may not have taken his playing name as a tribute to her and her Torquay heritage..... we just don't know!
It seems likely.
TUST number 080
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

Paul Balsom,former TUFC youth player who still takes a close interest in our club, is Performance Manager for Sweden.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

The only vague link I can think of is that England's chances of winning the World Cup are the same as our chances of reaching Round 1 of the F.A. Cup .........
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

torregull wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 12:54 Paul Balsom,former TUFC youth player who still takes a close interest in our club, is Performance Manager for Sweden.
At last a genuine link to the World Cup.

I am strangely optimistic about England getting to the semis on the basis they play like a team rather than individuals like France. Then again, I also tipped Torquay for the play offs.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

midtable wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 01:20 At last a genuine link to the World Cup.
Ah yes, midtable - but you didn't ask for GENUINE links - you asked for VAGUE links ...... ;-) ;-)
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Considering England are doing so well we aren't really talking about it much on here, is everyone in stunned silence? I've made this the official world cup thread. What's everyone's predictions for tonight?
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Louis wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 11:24 Considering England are doing so well we aren't really talking about it much on here, is everyone in stunned silence? I've made this the official world cup thread. What's everyone's predictions for tonight?
Maybe we shouldn't tempt fate and remain quiet and cautiously optimistic!!
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Frank O’Farrell managed the Iranian national side 1974-1976.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Yes England have made an encouraging start, but we have played two poor teams . I worry that the
better teams will find us out defensively. Funny going into a game where its not the end of the world
if we lose and better if we do really . Who would you rather we had in the quarters , Brazil or Sweden
/Switzerland ? Having said that if we start thinking too far ahead, we will probably cock it up against
Japan/Senegal/Columbia. Think 1-1 tonight
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

If we lose tonight and avoid Brazil in the quarters i think we have a realistic chance of getting to the final. I mean absolutely no disrespect to the likes of Spain or croatia , but I think on our day we could beat those two sides (Spain weren't exactly brilliant against Morocco the other night).