Torquay United Top 100 Matches

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 101st: AFC Wimbledon 0 - 2 Torquay United - 2013/14

2 points, 1 vote

Skybet League 2
Saturday 11th January 2014
Kingsmeadow
Attendance: 4339

Torquay: Michael Poke, Antony O'Connor, Krystian Pearce, Aaron Downes, Kevin Nicholson, Lee Mansell, Joss Labadie, Damon Lathrope, Jayden Stockley, Karl Hawley, Elliot Benyon. Subs: Billy Bodin, Dale Tonge, Nathan Craig, Martin Rice, Shamir Goodwin, Courtney Cameron, Jordan Chapell.

Torquay scorers: Krystian Peace, Jayden Stockley

----

The match that was supposed to signal the start of a new dawn in the English Riviera. Alan Knill had been sacked two weeks before, after the dismal 2-0 defeat to Plymouth on New Years Day. Former captain and fan favourite Chris Hargreaves took the job, leaving his coaching role at AFC Bournemouth. United were on a high after this, and took it into this match, as we ran out 2-0 winners in London. Two goals in 14 first half minutes, from Krystian Pearce and loanee striker Jayden Stockley, won the match.

The new dawn begun well - however it didn't last long after this game, did it?
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I was there at the Notts County game. That was football! I couldn't get to the Darlo match because I was working on the D.G. (Stefano, Samuel and gateman [who are gods!] will know what that means).
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 101st: Torquay United 1 - 3 Rochdale - 2003/04

2 points, 1 vote

Division 3
Monday 25th August 2003
Plainmoor
Attendance: 3003

Torquay: Arjan van Heusden, Lee Canoville, Steve Woods, Craig Taylor, Matt Hockley, Jimmy Benefield, Alex Russell, Kevin Wills, Kevin Hill, David Graham, Martin Gritton. Subs: Jason Fowler, Jo Kuffour, Graham Killoughery, Lucas Burgess, Kevin Dearden.

Torquay scorer: David Graham
Rochdale scorers: Lee McEvilly, Robert Betts (2)

----

This August bank holiday match is next to feature. The game isn't one of the more memorable ones of this season for me, but I can certainly remember it. Rochdale were superb on the counter attack in the second half. The game was goalless at the interval, with Rochdale down to 10 men. In the 59th min, McEvilly tucked a penalty away. Four minutes later, Betts added a second for the visitors. Things went from bad to worse for United as Matt Hockley got his marching orders in the 74th minute. Less than 60 seconds later it was 2-1 as Graham found the net. However, Betts made it 3-1 soon after to kill the game.

It was the first home defeat of what was an incredibly memorable campaign for the Gulls.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

This was one of mine, my very first Torquay game which is why its so memorable for me. We were staying in the Derwent as we did every year and I remember my dad asking if I wanted to go and see a football game. I had no idea who Torquay United were at that point, but I guess it must have been a good proposition as we walked up to Plainmoor later that afternoon, beautiful sunny day. Even though Torquay lost the game, I must have been hooked as we walked back the following day to buy my first home shirt. Supported the Gulls ever since, for better or for worse.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 101st: Plymouth Argyle 2 - 2 Torquay United - 2001/02

2 points, 1 vote

English Division 3
Wednesday 26th December 2001
Home Park
Attendance: 13677

Torquay: Kevin Dearden, Steve Tully, Steve Woods, Christian Hanson, Sean Hankin, Greg Goodridge, Jason Fowler, Alex Russell, Kevin Hill, David Graham, Richard Logan. Subs: David Preece, Eifion Williams, Ryan Northmore, Jason Rees, Martin McNeil.

Plymouth scorers: Graham Coughlan, Ian Stonebridge
Torquay scorers: Brian McGlinchey (OG), Richard Logan (pen).

----

A Boxing Day derby also enters the list at joint 101st. Argyle were highflying at the top of Division 3 at the time, while we were struggling at the foot of the table. A near sell out at Home Park saw the Greens take a 2-0 lead with two goals in three minutes at the start of the second half. Gulls fans must have wondered what was going on infront of them at that point. However, an own goal from full back McGlinchey gave a lifeline with 23 minutes to go. Step forward loanee forward Richard Logan who scored a last minute penalty to level the match.

This was the last match between the two for just under a decade, with the next coming in November 2011.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

I was there for the Plymouth 2-2 game. I had my cruciate ligament replacement op on the left knee on 21st Dec and it was the one and only game I attended in a wheelchair. I seem to remember we almost won it with a shot that clipped the bar at the end. I also remember Darren Bastow playing for Plymouth. I couldn't believe a Lichfield Avenue boy could play for the GAWS against the Gulls.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

That was before they completed the covered stands and we were in the old open end behind which there used to be a zoo. I recall a blizzard in our faces in the second half and that near miss right at the death that would have given us a win.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 101st: Rotherham United 1 - 1 Torquay United - 2009/10

2 points, 1 vote

League Two
Friday 19th February 2010
Don Valley Stadium
Attendance: 3339

Torquay: Scott Bevan, Chris Robertson, Mark Ellis, Guy Branston, Mo Camara, Lloyd Macklin, Lee Mansell, Nicky Wroe, Tyrone Thompson, Chris Zebroski, Ashley Barnes. Subs: Mike Searle, Lathanial Rowe-Turner, Kevin Nicholson, Eunan O'Kane, Elliott Benyon, Mustapha Carayol, Danny Stevens.

Rotherham scorer: Danny Harrison
Torquay scorer: Elliot Benyon

----

Struggling Torquay travelled to Yorkshire on a Friday night match with Rotherham. The Millers sat in the top 4 of the league were clear favourites, and looked to win the match when Danny Harrison fired them ahead. They continued to create opportunities and hit the woodwork three times. United equalised late on through Elliot Benyon, scoring in the final five minutes to get a point to take back to Devon.

I didn't go to this match but I do remember it. The member who sent it in also seemed content at the fact it was Mo Camara's last ever appearance for the club - I remember him being awful (though he'd probably get regular game time these days!).
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 101st: Kidderminster Harriers 1 - 0 Torquay United - 2001/02

2 points, 1 vote

Division 3
25th August 2001
Aggborough
Attendance: 2440

Torquay: Dearden, Woods, Woozley, Douglin, Tully, Rees, Hill, Brandon, Russell, Graham, Roach. Subs: Russell, Williams, Parker, Northmore, Greyling

Kidderminster scorer: Bird (90)

----

Okay a bit of confusion here. The list provided had this down as a 1-0 win for United but having researched it turns out we actually lost to a last minute penalty. However the date matches what I was sent so I presume this is in fact the match that was voted for. Unfortunately I can add nothing more to it - we conceded a last minute penalty to lose the match.
DaveysBarTab
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: none right now

Post by DaveysBarTab »

Plymouth Gull wrote:JOINT 101st: Kidderminster Harriers 1 - 0 Torquay United - 2001/02

2 points, 1 vote

Division 3
25th August 2001
Aggborough
Attendance: 2440

Torquay: Dearden, Woods, Woozley, Douglin, Tully, Rees, Hill, Brandon, Russell, Graham, Roach. Subs: Russell, Williams, Parker, Northmore, Greyling

Kidderminster scorer: Bird (90)

----

Okay a bit of confusion here. The list provided had this down as a 1-0 win for United but having researched it turns out we actually lost to a last minute penalty. However the date matches what I was sent so I presume this is in fact the match that was voted for. Unfortunately I can add nothing more to it - we conceded a last minute penalty to lose the match.
I recall the game. Terrible bore. Then it came to life suddenly kiddy got a pen for nothing... their players nor fans appealled. Even worse we should of 100% had a pen a minute later but ref missed his opportunity to atone for his cock up
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

My goodness there is small beer here. Top 100 matches - a 1-0 boring defeat at Kiddy where the highlight was probably the soup. Some people are easily pleased.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

If I remember rightly, it was DJ Gull's first away match. But alas, we continue...

JOINT 101st: Grimsby Town 0 - 3 Torquay United - 2009/10

2 points, 1 vote

League Two
Saturday 17th April 2010
Blundell Park
Attendance: 5702

Torquay: Michael Poke, Chris Robertson, Mark Ellis, Guy Branston, Kevin Nicholson, Chris Zebroski, Lee Mansell, Nicky Wroe, Mustapha Carayol, Elliot Benyon, Scott Rendell. Subs: Scott Bevan, Kieran Charnock, Lathanial Rowe-Turner, Adam Smith, Eunan O'Kane, Tyrone Thompson, Danny Stevens.

Torquay scorers: Nicky Wroe, Elliot Benyon, Mustapha Carayol

----

I remember this match and I am surprised it doesn't feature slightly higher on the list to be honest. 09/10 was our first season back in the Football League under Paul Buckle and it was a bit of a struggle. Grimsby were in the bottom two with just four games remaining, and we made this journey hoping to avoid what could have been a disastrous defeat. A tense, goalless first half was forgetful. However, we got a lifeline in the 54th minute with a penalty, duly dispatched by Nicky Wroe. Soon after Benyon made it 2-0 before wing-wizard (for about 7 matches) Carayol added the gloss to the scoreline. Guy Branston then got sent off but United were comfortable victors, and survival had been secured in style.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Samuel is right.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 101st: Exeter City 1 - 2 Torquay United - 2013/14

2 points, 1 vote

League Two
21st April 2014
St James Park
Attendance: 5221

Torquay: Martin Rice, Dale Tonge, Antony O'Connor, Krystian Pearce, Bailey Cargill, Damon Lathrope, Lee Mansell, Nathan Craig, Courtney Cameron, Shaquille Coulthirst, Elliot Benyon. Subs: Ashley Yeoman, Ben Harding, Michael Poke, Aaron Downes, Jordan Chapell, Niall Thompson, Danny Stevens.

Exeter scorer: Scot Bennett
Torquay scorers: Ashley Yeoman, Courtney Cameron

-----

A local derby late on in the season is next up. I made the decision not to go to this match I wouldn't have been able to cope with us losing and being relegated by City. The first half went in that way, as the hosts led 1-0. However a quick second half turnaround - Ashley Yeoman equalised before Cameron bent in a lovely free kick, won us the match, and preserved our league status for another week. We then went on to win at Mansfield but that could not stop our relegation from being confirmed.

This was the last competitive meeting between the two sides - I have absolutely no idea when the next one will be...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JOINT 101st: Cheltenham Town 0 - 1 Torquay United - 2011/12

2 points, 1 vote

League 2
Tuesday 14th February 2012
Whaddon Road
Attendance: 3010

Torquay:
Bobby Olejnik, Joe Oastler, Brian Saah, Mark Ellis, Kevin Nicholson, Damon Lathrope, Lee Mansell, Eunan O'Kane, Ian Morris, Danny Stevens, Taiwo Atieno. Subs: Martin Rice, Lathanial Rowe-Turner, Angus MacDonald, Chris McPhee, Rene Howe.

Torquay scorer: Ian Morris

-----

A Valentine's day victory is next, and what a win it was. United were bang in form here, and this match was the seventh win on the bounce, against the team in the top 3 of League 2. Martin Ling had got his side keeping clean sheets with extreme regularity, and the wins just kept on coming. The run of form propelled United towards the top of League 2 through January-March, before a weak April saw us drop out. This was probably my favourite time since the Leroy success in 04. Unfortunately since this season everything else has been downhill, constantly.
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

samuel wrote:My goodness there is small beer here. Top 100 matches - a 1-0 boring defeat at Kiddy where the highlight was probably the soup. Some people are easily pleased.

I am enjoying the randomness of people's choices........and the rationale as to why they have been selected. I suppose some people have chosen ''most memorable' rather than top match in terms of performance or result. With all of these polls the results are always skewed to the more recent matches.

There were a couple of games that nearly made my list as they were memorable for reasons other than the football. I recall one very dreary Tuesday night away at Mansfield where I nipped off to get a burger, took a wrong turn and walked in on two stewards in a compromising embrace. Red faces all round, although I didn't actually see one of the parties faces! For the record I think the match ended in a 0-0 draw.

For what it is worth this, and PG's other thread about favourite players, has been the highlight of being a TUFC fan over the last couple of years. Thanks very much PG. We may as well live in the past at the moment as I can't see there being any top matches for a few years yet - maybe the first big derby with Buckland?