Torquay United v FGR (Boxing day/Jan 1ST) double header match day thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
RichyMills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: the 12th man

Post by RichyMills »

Gulliball wrote: There was no point playing long balls in the second half as the wind just took them out of play. Anything the strikers couldn't control was long gone before they had a chance to run onto it.

The conditions made it quite a strange match and once we went ahead we did a very good job of turning it into a 'low quality' game before the two late goals on the counter.
Not saying this is a negative way but Courtney Richards is fantastic at doing just that - he harangues and harassess the referee as much as he does their midfield and it breaks up the game - very clever when the team's a goal up.

Will it work against Cheltenham? maybe, maybe not but it'll be a tiht game I reckon if those tactics stick
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Gulliball wrote:Highlights:
Had to laugh when I watched the highlights. There was a bloke on the Grandstand side got so excited that we'd actually scored a goal, he had to go dashing off to the loo at full speed. Watch behind the goal celebrations after the first goal. Mind you, I was almost pee-ing myself when the fourth goal went in.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

That was a great result and not what was expected. Many congratulations to all the players.

Hopefully that will instil some confidence and belief that if they do try for 90 minutes - success will happen.

The key to yesterday's performance is to keep it in perspective and not get too carried away that the corner has been turned - that was just the start of a turn into what is going to be a very long and difficult corner to negotiate.......let's hope Nicholson has got a good pair of driving gloves !!!!
al roxzar
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: danny stevens

Post by al roxzar »

Well done a win against a good team,try and repeat it on the 1st
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Time to turn our attention back to FGR and this time our squad travel to the new lawn. So storm Frank is now with us, many more of these and I think there will no names left to use, hopefully it hasn't hit Nailsworth to hard, due to work commitments I never had a hope of going to this game although really wanted to, after the 4.1 humiliation at Plainmoor Forest Green Rovers got right back to winning ways with their 5th straight home win, in what would have been a totally expected victory over Kidderminster at the new lawn.

For Gulls fans traveling to the match

http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 64714.aspx

Current form

FGR; W-D-W-W-L-W

Last time out

Forest Green 3 - 0 Kidderminster

01 Arnold
10 Kelly
16 Racine
19 Sinclair
06 Bennett (Pipe - 74' )
04 Clough
11 Frear (Marsh-Brown - 66' )
24 Carter (Guthrie - 81' )
08 Wedgbury
20 Parkin
26 Williams

Substitutes
02 Pipe
07 O'Connor
09 Marsh-Brown
17 Guthrie
23 Maxted

From a Torquay United point of view

Once again we saw a much improved performance away at Cheltenham, I think the most pleasing thing has been the improvement in the defence, 180 minutes of football against the top two teams and only 2 goals conceded, and to be fair our team haven't looked like conceding goals in our last two games, but we've seen this before and now need consistency.

No good defending well in two games only to revert to type, and see our back line part like the red sea in the next two games, as it has, in so many games this season. Richards is suspended for this game, huge loss, thought he fantastic sitting into front of the back in line during these last two games, however Macdonald returns to the squad.

This for me is a difficult one as we're thin on the ground at the moment, I'd be really tempted not to change the back four, they've done well v FGR home and Cheltenham away, regardless of how agricultural Ben Gerring is, or uncultured a footballer he is, Gerring kept Parkin quiet down at Plainmoor, and dealt with a lot of high ugly stuff into our box on Monday, I'd leave him in their for this game.

Current form

Torquay United; L-D-L-L-W-L

Last time out

Cheltenham 1 - 0 Torquay Utd

21 Lavercombe
29 Berry
18 Smith
16 Richards Dismissed after an earlier booking
24 Nicholson
22 Gerring
26 Heslop
03 Butler
25 Verma (Murombedzi - 68' )
28 Wright (Finch - 70' )
10 Marsh (Geohaghon - 78' Booked )

Substitutes
06 Geohaghon
11 Murombedzi
23 Hancox
30 Finch
31 Corderoy

PRIDE FOR NICHOLSON

"I am disappointed with the result but extremely proud of the lads," he said. "We made the team that are top of the table look distinctly average out there.

"That said, Cheltenham never gave up and when you are top of the League, you tend to get those slices of good fortune that go in your favour.

"There were not a huge amount of chances in the game, but I felt that we were the better of the two teams overall and deserved to take at least a point out of it.

"We've given a good account of ourselves against each of the top two now, so that will give the players plenty of belief and we know that if we keep working hard, we'll get the wins that we need.

"Our attention now turns to our trip to Forest Green on New Year's Day where I will be looking for exactly the same work ethic and determination from the lads."

Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... F6pXhbo.99
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Wanted to go but the coach fully booked lets hope we can get another three points.
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

arcadia wrote:Wanted to go but the coach fully booked lets hope we can get another three points.
Me and a few pals were going to get the coach but missed out also =Z
Will be watching on the box in boots instead.
To the dotted line, We're on our way
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

The harsh reality of football is " your only as good as your last game" need to keep the momentum going next two games critical.
gullsdiv2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Louis Briscoe

Post by gullsdiv2 »

With no Richards or Carmichael we are dreadfully short on numbers in midfield, wonder if Nicho is tempted to play McDonald or smith in the holding role.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

gullsdiv2 wrote:With no Richards or Carmichael we are dreadfully short on numbers in midfield, wonder if Nicho is tempted to play McDonald or smith in the holding role.
I would have thought we'd have Verma and Heslop as the 2 central midfielders and maybe Butler wide left and briscoe wide right?

Believe Chaney has been injured recently but should make the bench

Anyone know if you can pay on the gate?
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Tickets on the day need to be purchased from the ticket office at the ground for the North Stand. £15 for adults. There is other useful information on the official site.

Should we be worried about the game being called off due to rain ?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Or anyone could just click the link under the headline "for gulls fans traveling to the match" provided by me just 4 posts above... :) :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Hey Guys. My lift >Paul has realise that the Ko was later than he though so can't make the game. anyone who can offer a lift from Gloucester i would be most gratefull.
07890891345 if you can
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Glostergull wrote:Hey Guys. My lift >Paul has realise that the Ko was later than he though so can't make the game. anyone who can offer a lift from Gloucester i would be most gratefull.
07890891345 if you can
The number 46 bus from Cheltenham goes to Forest Green. I'm sure someone at the game will be able to offer you a lift back in that direction!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Hi Admiral. no services operating in Gloucester and Stroud today at all. not sure where you got your info from. But I checked and the bus services are suspended for all of today. And as i live in Gloucester we would use the Service no. 63. but its all irrelavant if services are suspended.
Last edited by Glostergull on 01 Jan 2016, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843