whey Accrington

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Interesting call Jerry. Accrington Stanley are called in most pub quizzes as a Founder member. Reconstituted they may have been but that's the folklore - and I think that assists them.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Dazza wrote:Interesting call Jerry. Accrington Stanley are called in most pub quizzes as a Founder member. Reconstituted they may have been but that's the folklore - and I think that assists them.
It's nothing to do with being reconstituted, Accrington FC and Accrington Stanley are different clubs in the same way that Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday are different clubs.

You must drink in some strange pubs where facts are irrelevant in the quiz. :na:

But anyway, your original point about their location being a huge help is correct :~D
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

Interesting discussion Jerry. I think Sheffield is a tad bigger than Accrington though. Whatever way they have as a the town has a bigger football tradition than other places ( like blasted Basingstoke for example). Shall we call it a draw-a result we would have both settled for yesterday!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Yeah I can't argue that the whole East Lancs area has a pretty unrivalled football tradition. You just need to look at Burnley, a town of a similar size to Torquay.
york_gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by york_gull »

I think geographical location of the club has a big part to play, if you play/live in the north west of England would you be willing to move your family to the south west of England on the wage of a lower league player? Unless they get their chequebook out and make it worthwhile. Sadly money talks.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Thanks gullibaI think you have hit the nail on the head,they are a better run club than ours but still think it's a worthwhile trip up north to ask how they do it.Our leaders are very new to this football lark,you have to seek out experience and Accrington seems a good place to start,unless you think you know better!.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Billy Kee.
TUST member 200 ;-)
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by frenchgull »

I guess he is nearer Belfast up in Accrington which was the reason he wanted to leave Torquay.!!!.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

He wanted to be closer to Leicester not Belfast.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

A bit like personal wealth only two things count. How much money you have coming in and secondly how much money you spend.

I've always enjoyed going to Accrington, many laugh at the state and size of the ground, but the reality is they have spent money only where they need to. A visit to the club shop, which is a portacabin, is quite an experience as the club offices all lead off that portacabin.

The whole place is crude, very basic, even the car park is left un-tarmacked, the away terrace has a crude extension and the floodlights just meat the leagues minimum standards.

....all of this is part of the reason they have done so well on limited resources, the supporters and the club almost love being an underdog at every match. That takes a sort of mentality throughout the club that Torquay currently just do not have. We simply have, too many people who think they are too big, too important or special. Accrington just dig their heels in and get stuck in.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by frenchgull »

well I guess he's got his wish,Accrington to Leicester is just around the corner!.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Let's not forget that Accrington were in the doldrums of non-league football for many, many seasons. Their fortunes have changed, and good luck to them. Let's hope our fortunes will change in the not too distant future and we will return to the league. But it's going to have to be sooner rather than later if old farts like me are going to be around to see it happen !! :-o
jimhart33
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by jimhart33 »

Not all been fine and dandy at Accrington as debts of £1.2 m just cleared by new owner per BBC.
How do Exeter City do it TV again and £67K.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

I honestly think Exeter have the dirt on someone at the FA, their luck with FA cup draws when they need money has been ridiculous. Meanwhile we reach the 4th round twice in three years and get bloody Coventry and Crawley (who then got Man Utd in the next round).
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

SenorDingDong speaks! Now all we need is Bert. Mind you, I don't mind a comment or two from LesLawrence'sAfro.