Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Yellows
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yellows »

Has to be Sean Joyce performed miracles at Biddy to keep them afloat in the Southern Prem
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Richinns wrote:Whoever it is we need to give them a chance. Like it or not our support is a big factor on whether the new manager can keep us in this league or not.
You've hit the nail on the head we need someone to keep us up then look again at the start of next season if you have to.

Added in 1 minute 59 seconds:
Yells wrote:Has to be Sean Joyce performed miracles at Biddy to keep them afloat in the Southern Prem
Good choice but need a coach perhaps Ramshaw.

Added in 4 minutes 58 seconds:
howarddevoto wrote:Sean Joyce is a lovely bloke. As there is little money beggars can't be choosers. He'd do for me.
When a chairman keeps a manager for ten years he must be good at what he does he can be firm.

Added in 5 minutes 45 seconds:
Southampton Gull wrote:Nicholson with North as his assistant is my shout, not saying that's who I would want (that would be Ling) but with another young coach in Chris Todd in the frame for the Eastleigh job I can't see him staying in the selection process for us.

Nicholson and North would be cheap and also willing to tackle the job, see how close I get ;-)
I would not like this as it's like having Hargreaves all over again North perhaps with a n other
pinitgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by pinitgull »

I really hope the board have a little more foresite than these names banded around!!
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

I'd like Jose Mourinho.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

SenorDingDong wrote:I'd like Jose Mourinho.

I'd like his doctor! :clown:
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I can't quite get hold of the argument for Kevin Nicholson given our present situation. Surely it would be tempting history to repeat itself. No disrespect to a good club man but wouldn't we want someone with more managerial - at the very least player coaching experience. ? If we have 60 people with some qualification expressing some interest I would hope we could find that ingredient amongst some of them to produce a reasonable shortlist.

I think we need to bear in mind that the link man, the Director of Football has also left. Experience is the name of the game for me. I just feel that if we had gone for that in 2013 we might have survived as a League Club. The man who proved just that in 2003 would do for me ! I don't suppose he's in that 60 but surely he's
worth a phone call now Plymouth look settled - we need to do everything we can to avoid falling into regional football.
Yellows
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yellows »

Sean Joyce along side Hodgey who would effectively cost nothing and deserves another chance. With firm direction and us supporters behind them United we will come through this season and stay in this League ready to go again
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Big Sam is out of work. Experienced. Promotions on his CV and never been relegated! Just need to add a few zeros on to the balance sheet...
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Dazza wrote:I can't quite get hold of the argument for Kevin Nicholson given our present situation. Surely it would be tempting history to repeat itself. No disrespect to a good club man but wouldn't we want someone with more managerial - at the very least player coaching experience. ? If we have 60 people with some qualification expressing some interest I would hope we could find that ingredient amongst some of them to produce a reasonable shortlist.

I think we need to bear in mind that the link man, the Director of Football has also left. Experience is the name of the game for me. I just feel that if we had gone for that in 2013 we might have survived as a League Club. The man who proved just that in 2003 would do for me ! I don't suppose he's in that 60 but surely he's
worth a phone call now Plymouth look settled - we need to do everything we can to avoid falling into regional football.
Dean was never involved with the football until he made the position of DOF available and gave himself the job.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

arcadia wrote:

I'd like his doctor! :clown:
:keepie:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Yellows
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yellows »

Deano cared about one thing Deano Rolling contract what's that all about oh sorry Deano
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Sorry but Dean Edwards had some managerial experience Arcadia - albeit at a lower league. However that is not my point. My concern is with the D of F no more the role for the managers job is a wide one in a club with a very small board of Directors. I do feel a lot of previous football managerial experience would assist considerably.
Heritage gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Heritage gull »

Why not give Kev Nicholson a try by giving him the assistant manager job under an experienced manager (eg Martin Ling)? If he is any good he could take over as manager in the long run, if not he can ply his trade elsewhere, but still have something on his CV.
TUST member 077
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

For christs sake will people stop going on about bloody Nicholson, he hasnt done anything in coaching or management, there should probably be a hundred people a lot more qualified ahead of him in line. Just because he played for us for quite a while and did quite well does not give him a divine right to come back after his playing career and suddenly be a coach or manager. Some are being far too short sighted and need to look a lot further than a recent ex player.

'#notabloodylegend
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

With the wages of the Edwards and Hargreaves off of the balance sheet, even with a little of that being put towards other things perhaps there will be a reasonable amount to offer a new manager. I wouldn't mind seeing something a little different - perhaps an experienced director of football, someone like an Ian Atkins with Shaun North as head coach. We have, what appears to be a half decent* squad of players at the moment completely lacking in confidence or ideas. I think, at least for the short term what we need is a really good coach on the training ground.

*Half decent for the National League which means I think they should be able to finish around mid table ish.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084