Academy yes or no

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

MidDevon wrote:Absolutely no !

I can understand that all clubs are just hoping they might find the next Beckham or Bale at the age of 14, but the likelyhood of this happening is so remote that it's just not economic to chase the dream.

The most astute and financially beneficial signings for the club in recent years have always been from great scouting. O'Kane, Olejnik and the like

When you consider the cost of running the youth set up and the numerous players who have signed professional terms only to drop away it is startling, the last I heard Halpin was playing in New Zealand where many failed UK professionals go and the long haired forward, who I cannot even remember his name, was in Scandinavia where the rest seem to go.....and yet both signings were seen as "evidence" at how good our youth set up now was.

I would prefer one or two experienced scouts out there to be honest at a fraction of the cost.
Yet Exeter City's academy has just produced a player which will fund them for the next 3 seasons
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
SealeHayne23
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Young

Post by SealeHayne23 »

The club might survive short term by getting rid of the youth set up but will pay in long term, can only see the club struggling more & more will end up part-time then going down the leagues..
lucy6lucy wrote: Firstly if it's a choice between Torquay as a club existing and ending the academy then so be it
Secondly mike Bateson ended the academy in his reign due to no money, hey presto we have no money. So it's a bit hypocritical of him TBH
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Only because he signed a professional deal and so went for an actual transfer fee instead of set compensation. The Premiership clubs won't make that mistake too many times if they can sign twenty 16 year olds for the same price that Grimes went for at 19.

Wait and see what fee we get for Ives. That will be the benchmark for the future, and will probably be enough to fund the youth department for a fortnight.

It would be a shame if the first team's relegation and Premiership club's greed led to the closure of the youth system again, but that's modern football. It's taken 7 years to get to the stage where we have our own youngsters coming through, so it would be incredibly frustrating, as well as a shocking waste, to have to do it though.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

I hope I am proved wrong, but I do not see Ives reaching heights above the Conference, maybe league 2...he's no Lee Sharpe
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

MidDevon wrote:I hope I am proved wrong, but I do not see Ives reaching heights above the Conference, maybe league 2...he's no Lee Sharpe

You may be right but, to be fair, Ives has hardly been playing in decent teams. Good players have a better chance to shine in good teams which give them better opportunities to show their talents. Lee Sharpe was playing in a half-decent Division 4 (League Two) team. Interesting to note that nearly all the players who were sold by the club for reasonably big amounts were those who were brought in from other clubs (Sharpe, Goodrich, Jack, O'Kane, Olejnik, etc.) rather than through our youth system.
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Sadly The Academy is finished
The best that can be expected is that the current kids be assigned to someone like Exeter or Yeovil with a % sell on if they come good
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

can not see any possibility of any sell on clauses, should the entire academy close, including the youth team which I guess is what's going to happen, I gather the link up/development squad course at PCC is going as well, they're all free agents.
Formerly known as forevertufc
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

That depends on the negotiating ability of New Co
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Have asked the question of someone who knows a lot more about this subject than me, if I'm right, and all youth academy players and youth teamers become "free agents" and that means what it's says on the tin, in the event of the entire youth set-up closing, then there is no negotiating to be done.
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

But not before it is formally closed which will be end of this month
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Ok, and not wishing to sound rude. However, lets employ some common sense here, no club is going to come down at break neck speed offering sell on clauses for our U10's , wouldn't expect much of a queue for youth team either, why wouldn't any club just wait until July 1st and take the player as free agent.
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Local FL Clubs with empathy for TUFC
To be honest as sad as this is the Club has many more pressing issues
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I'm sure our near neighbours will have empathy for our situation, but, not to the point where by they start offering any kind sell on or other deals for, what are in reality worthless (in monetary value) youth academy players.

As for the second line of your post, totally agree.
SealeHayne23
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Young

Post by SealeHayne23 »

Don't think they have thought it through properly surely they will have to compensate a lot of the players under the agreement of their contracts
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Got to be remembered we're talking about academy players, who are registered as such, for more info click the link, lots of useful info for academy parents.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/docume ... 839866.pdf