Retained list

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

nickbrod wrote:Aaron Downes signs for Cheltenham Town. He's bound to score at least once against us!

There's probably a 50:50 chance he will be either injured or suspended against us....but good luck to him
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

Glad that Downes has got himself sorted. Good luck to him, all the best Aaron.
DaveysBarTab
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: none right now

Post by DaveysBarTab »

Odofin sounds like a matt hockley type. All effort, no skill. Infact that's quite something as many of our team possess neither
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

DaveysBarTab wrote:Odofin sounds like a matt hockley type. All effort, no skill. Infact that's quite something as many of our team possess neither
Sounds like just what we need. The sort of p layer that fans can get behind and actually support.... Kind of like Kevin Hill(!)

I know, Hilly did have a bit of skill but it was more his commitment to the cause that enamored him to us.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

According to Guy Branston we've released Ollivier Gueguen so looks like no deal for him, shame as I liked him.

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Guy ... story.html
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Whilst Branston is not in a managerial position - he has got considerable experience in the game, and I thought this was an interesting comment about Hargreaves in his article for Devon Team of the Year.

[DEFENSIVE CENTRE-MIDFIELD: Ollivier Gueguen (TORQUAY UNITED)

A big lad that can play out from the back and into midfield, but wasn’t given a chance by Chris Hargreaves because he couldn’t see his abilities.

Read more: http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Guy ... z3bMeSdKyj
Follow us: @WMNNews on Twitter | westernmorningnews on Facebook
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

I tend to listen to what Branston has to say - he's played the game at our level (ish) for many years, and he knows what he's talking about. I believe he's also working as a scout right now too.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

It's worth remembering that Branston is also the agent for Gueguen, or at least he came to us through his business. It's not exactly a neutral opinion if he still has a stake in his future.

Putting him in his combined Plymouth/Exeter/Torquay Team of the Year when he couldn't get into the worst of those 3 sides is ridiculous - and ethically pretty sketchy for a 'journalist' to use his position to advertise his client without revealing the reason why.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Gulliball wrote:It's worth remembering that Branston is also the agent for Gueguen, or at least he came to us through his business. It's not exactly a neutral opinion if he still has a stake in his future.

Putting him in his combined Plymouth/Exeter/Torquay Team of the Year when he couldn't get into the worst of those 3 sides is ridiculous - and ethically pretty sketchy for a 'journalist' to use his position to advertise his client without revealing the reason why.

Quite correct. It does somewhat smack of "promoting a product".

If he's a defensive CM though (like Lathrope say) we didnt play a formation that he would slot into, being as we seemed wedded to 4-4-2.

A three man midfield may have suited him down to the ground, but we will never know now...
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
DaveysBarTab
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: none right now

Post by DaveysBarTab »

id go along with what branston is saying. Guegen and Young are by the most technically good players we have/had last season. Guegen looked confident on the ball and wasted in defence.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

DaveysBarTab wrote:id go along with what branston is saying. Guegen and Young are by the most technically good players we have/had last season. Guegen looked confident on the ball and wasted in defence.
I agree, he's big too and could've covered Young much better than Richards/McQ did.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Well as far as i'm aware Branston only watched Gueguen once last season!

I suppose he may have access to the club DVD's of matches but I suspect Gulliball is closer to the mark.
If we are going to ever make a serious challenge we need players capable of league 2 football, not "good conference players" , to me Guegen was too slow and not good enough in the air.

Added in 8 minutes 53 seconds:
Just had a look at GB's site

Absolutely packed with talent :whistle: , all paying £4.99 to upload a video !

even Guy himself has uploaded 2 videos !

having said that his article in the Western Morning News was essentially a "press release" for his company, so he's a clever chap

http://www.allaboutballerz.com/search
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

To be honest writing stuff like that in papers doesn't do him any favours and damages any credibility he may have, I loved Branno as a player and it's someone like him we desperately lack however I struggle to listen or read anything he says as he never comes across very well to me. Sounds extremely limited and borderline a bit dim.

Saying Guegen should be in the team of the year from all 3 teams is one of the most laughable comments I've ever read, Guegen was utter manure, abysmal positional sense, crap in the air and could barely get in the worst back 4 we've ever had. Saying a manager couldn't see his abilities despite working with him every day? Again it's a bitter and stupid statement.