Torquay United exhibition at Torquay Museum

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:you Dirty Old Man................
I resemble that remark! :whistle:
Fleurette
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Fleurette »

Torquay Museum to Screen Classic Torquay Utd Match as Part of Their Glorious Gulls Exhibition Celebrations

A classic play-off final promotion match featuring Torquay Utd, which was held at Wembley stadium, will be shown on the big screen at Torquay Museum at 7.30pm on Friday 17th April. This thrilling match was televised at the time, but is not available on DVD and only a few copies survive. This is a rare chance to watch the game, and enjoy the Museum’s recently opened Torquay United - Glorious Gulls: An Underdog Story exhibition.

“We want to re-create some of the atmosphere of that historic match, and give people who may not have seen the game the chance to enjoy one of the Gulls’ finest hours,” said Torquay Museum’s Fleur Elliott, Curator of the Torquay United exhibition.

“The game will be screened in its entirety in the Museum’s 130 seat cinema, complete with big screen,” said Fleur. “There will be a half-time interval where fans can mingle, reminisce, eat and drink. This will be a fun and friendly night where fans, young and old, will be encouraged to enter into the spirit of this thrilling Wembley play-off final. A short introductory talk will be given by Alex Rowe, former Chairman of Torquay Utd.”

The Museum will be open from 6.30pm so that fans can enjoy the new unique Torquay United - Glorious Gulls: An Underdog Story exhibition, which was opened in February by Torquay Utd Manager Chris Hargreaves and some of the first team players.

The exhibition, which runs until 4th September, charts the history of the team from its founding 116 years ago until the present day, featuring the exhilarating highs and tearful lows of the Gulls through the decades. It features rare and iconic photographs, and unique memorabilia never before seen in public, including some historic Gulls’ football kits, the match day ball from the FA Trophy Final at Wembley, match day programmes from some of Torquay’s most glorious games, and much more.

Tickets for the screening of this classic game cost £7.50, including entry to the Torquay Utd exhibition. The Museum’s doors will be open at 6.30pm and the match will kick off at 7.30pm on Friday 17th April. Hot and cold drinks will be available in the Museum’s café, together with hog roast baps, homemade crackling and apple sauce, payable separately to the Museum cafe on the night. Space is limited and demand will be high, so contact the Museum early on 01803 293975 to reserve your tickets.
Fleurette
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Fleurette »

Tickets (cost £7.50) are still available for this Friday nights screening of the play off game from 2009....doors will open at 6:30, then the game will kick off after a short talk by Alex Rowe. Hog roast baps, crackling and apple sauce will be available in the Museum café, payable separately to the café, and you can bring your own alcohol with no corkage fee! After a disappointing season, relive one of the Clubs best times and fall in love with Torquay United all over again!
Fleurette
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Fleurette »

This evenings game screening has been postponed to a later date - to be confirmed.
Fleurette
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Fleurette »

I've got a copy of the highlights of the Blackpool game (lasts about an hour), if that would prove more popular than the whole Cambridge game? Let me know here, please
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

Fleur, was it postponed due to a lack of numbers? I still think a lot of people were unaware it was going ahead. Shame really, I would think it should make for a good Summer's evening!
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
bringbackthecowshed
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tommy Mitchinson

Post by bringbackthecowshed »

Torquay Utd were the first team outside the top flight to appear on Match of the Day versus Bury in Division 3 in 1969. Kenneth Wolstenhome was at Plainmoor to provide the commentary and we won 3-0 in front of 10.000 fans, The match has been saved by the BBC and I think this would be a great match to see if it could be arranged.
Phipsy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Phipsy »

Concur with that.
What a gReat team we had then.
I seem to remember full back Bobby Baxter scoring in that game.
It could expensive getting any archive film out of the BBC though.
Fleurette
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Fleurette »

Remember there's only a month left to come and see the Glorious Gulls: History of Torquay United exhibition here at Torquay Museum! The special offer of 10% off entry tickets to TUFC season ticket holders and members of TUST still applies. Come and see the past before the start of an exciting new future under a new Board and Management!
LesLawrencesAfro
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by LesLawrencesAfro »

For those who haven't been, it really is worth the visit.... some great memories! and the unforgettable day at Wembley vs Blackpool is on a loop so you won't miss anything!

Some fantastic memorabillia on show....

Junior will be seeing it for the first time on Saturday!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Les Lawrence's Afro is on show too.

Added in 3 seconds:
Les Lawrence's Afro is on show too.
Fleurette
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Fleurette »

This Thursday, 27th August, at 2pm, there will be some first team players visiting the Museum exhibition, so come along and meet them, and maybe have a photo and get a TUFC Memory Map signed...also for anyone going to the game this Saturday, keep your ticket stub or programme. Bring it to the Museum on the morning of Saturday 5th September and get 15% off the Museum entry fee. TUFC season ticket holders or TUST members will also get a 15% reduction on entry. The exhibition finishes on Saturday 5th September, so if you haven't been, get down there before your opportunity to see this unique exhibition is gone!
Fleurette
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Fleurette »

A special last day visitor is coming to the Torquay United exhibition this Saturday - Robin Stubbs will be visiting the Museum from 11:00 am.....I'm very excited about it!! And, to be honest, I'm quite sad that the exhibition is coming to an end, even though it will live on in part at the Club...
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I have been saying to myself all summer "must go to the Torquay Utd exhibition" but you know how it is, other things crop up and get in the way. But I have been this week and it is an excellent exhibition and well laid out. Lots fo good times remembered ...... and several not so good times !! So if you haven't been - GO ! You've got one and a half days left (because presumably you'll be at Plainmoor on Saturday afternoon). Congratulations Fleurette on an inspired initiative :-D
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Just to say, I finally visited this a couple of weeks ago, really enjoyed it, some lovely memories and nods to the past, its a shame it couldnt be kept but never mind. My Dad visited last week and he really liked it too.

Just a question, obviously the exhibits get returned to where and who they belong, but what happens to all the paraphanelia, the big placards with info and photos etc. Do they hopefully go in storage or something as it would be such a shame to just bin or destroy them. Could it be something the club would be interested in to use, or even is there a room at the ground to display their own exhibits in this way for fans to come and see, or could the big cards at least be used on display in the inner sanctum of the ground, corporate areas, boxes, bars etc.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).