Good Luck From The Gas

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
GasAttacK
Trialist
Trialist

Good Luck From The Gas

Post by GasAttacK »

COME ON TORQUAY!!

I think it would be a massive achievement for Torquay to leapfrog Wycombe and avoid finishing bottom of league 2; especially when you consider how far adrift you were a few weeks back.

It would also be great to finish with 3 wins and in good form. It would set you up nicely for a good start to next season. Maybe particularly important to get that elusive home win to break the recent poor run of results at Plainmoor.

Definitely worth fighting for.

Surely the last thing any Torquay player or fan wants is to watch Wycombe supporters celebrating a great escape. Having been relegated on Saturday I would have thought it would be torturous to have to see the opposition going crazy, invading the pitch, taunting the home fans with chants of 'we are staying up'!

If the team care about the fans - and recent away perfomances would suggest they do - they wont want their fans to have to go through that.

I'll be cheering on Torquay on Saturday and hoping you go out in style and get the win that I think you deserve, because based on what I've seen you're not the worst side in league 2.

Obviously all Rovers fans will be hoping you guys finish with a win just in case we fail to take a point off Mansfield, but it would also potentially give you the edge against a Wycombe side who might be one of your promotion rivals next season.

Best of luck for a swift return to the football league. I don't think the Conference looks that strong next season so no reason why you shouldn't bounce straight back.
Last edited by GasAttacK on 28 Apr 2014, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
yellowarmygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Andy Gurney
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowarmygull »

I think a simple ' Please can you beat Wycombe on Saturday to save our backsides ' would have sufficed! I am sure the Torquay players and management will want to make it 3 wins on the spin and finish off the bottom but the Home form is dreadful!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Thanks Gas attack. Although Wycombe is a nice club, I would not like to see our friends at Bristol Rovers come down with us, and Northampton would probably have provided us with the toughest competition for promotion next season in the Conference. So, unfortunate though it is, Wycombe it must be, and I've no doubt both teams will be making a game of it on Saturday.

And good luck to you against Mansfield, though I don't think you'll need it: they're currently as poor a team as any of us.. :-D
GasAttacK
Trialist
Trialist

Post by GasAttacK »

yellowarmygull wrote:I think a simple ' Please can you beat Wycombe on Saturday to save our backsides ' would have sufficed! I am sure the Torquay players and management will want to make it 3 wins on the spin and finish off the bottom but the Home form is dreadful!
Haha, yes you're probably right and obviously your result could potentially have a big impact on both Rovers and Northampton.

However, I think there are plenty of reasons why this isn't a meaningless match for you guysas I mentioned in my opening post.

When was the last time a relegated side finished with 4 wins out of 5?

Would be a cracking way to end the season and really send you into the next campaign in the best possible position to bounce straight back. Assuming we don't go down ourselves, I genuinley hope you win you're celebrating the Conference title this time next year and the way you're finishing the current season I have a feeling you will be.
Last edited by GasAttacK on 28 Apr 2014, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Someone isn't sure if they'll get a point versus Mansfield :lol:

Thank you for the kind words.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
GasAttacK
Trialist
Trialist

Post by GasAttacK »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:Someone isn't sure if they'll get a point versus Mansfield :lol:

Thank you for the kind words.
You're spot on mate.

We should be confident going into a home match against a very average Mansfield side who are in poor form but you never know in football. We expected to beat you guys but that didn't exactly go to plan!

I'd like us to end the season with a win and we're definitely capable of doing just that but whatever happens at the Mem I actually think Torquay are a decent side and will finish the season strongly with another victory on Saturday against a poor Wycombe side.

If there were 3 or 4 games to go I think you'd have probably survived but at least finishing the season so well gives you hope for next season.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

If you cant beat Mansfield I'd be very concerned they were dire against us think they are in holiday mode already you'll be fine.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Were I a Rovers fan, I think I'd be shitting myself at the prospect of playing a side who were merely 'poor'.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

GasAttacK wrote: You're spot on mate.

We should be confident going into a home match against a very average Mansfield side who are in poor form but you never know in football. We expected to beat you guys but that didn't exactly go to plan!

I'd like us to end the season with a win and we're definitely capable of doing just that but whatever happens at the Mem I actually think Torquay are a decent side and will finish the season strongly with another victory on Saturday against a poor Wycombe side.

If there were 3 or 4 games to go I think you'd have probably survived but at least finishing the season so well gives you hope for next season.
:-D
Rovers will be okay - you'll get at least a point against Mansfield who have nothing to play for. Similarly, Oxford have nothing to play for so bliddy Northampton will win that one. Torquay v Wycombe ? Banker draw I reckon. However, Rovers have had two narrow squeaks now. I don't know the ins and outs of why John Ward has become Director of Football and a new manager brought in who quite honestly, hasn't set the world alight. I'd feel a little uneasy about next season unless some changes are made ....
GasAttacK
Trialist
Trialist

Post by GasAttacK »

tomogull wrote: :-D
Rovers will be okay - you'll get at least a point against Mansfield who have nothing to play for. Similarly, Oxford have nothing to play for so bliddy Northampton will win that one. Torquay v Wycombe ? Banker draw I reckon. However, Rovers have had two narrow squeaks now. I don't know the ins and outs of why John Ward has become Director of Football and a new manager brought in who quite honestly, hasn't set the world alight. I'd feel a little uneasy about next season unless some changes are made ....
John Ward made a lot of mistakes this year.

He didn't really strengthen the squad last summer and we've been left sticking square pegs in round holes for most of the season. We lack pace all over the park and don't have any strikers worthy of the name. His tactics were over defensive regardless of the opposition and he didn't really have a plan B.

The board made 2 mistakes.

1) Ward should have been sacked in January. To make the change the day after the final loan window closed in March was madness.
and
2) They should not have appointed someone from within who has no experience managing above the Conference South.

I think if he keeps us up he'll be given to Christmas to prove he's the right man for the job but I'm not very optimistic about our chances next season if I'm honest.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Ward became DOF and they promoted the tea boy because they couldn't face the ignominy of sacking yet another manager. Doing as they did allowed them to do it without any headlines, without adding to their already disastrous reputation.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
CamGas
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Courtney Cameron

Post by CamGas »

Please can you beat Wycombe this Saturday and save our backsides.

I have little faith in our team getting a result v Mansfield and will be relying on the Gulls to do the business. I wish you all the best for next season and a swift return to the FL and if you get to play Cambridge I will be joining you in the away end (I will even buy a Torquay strip for the occasion) oh I can offer you free parking 5 min walk from Abbey Stadium. Can you smell the desperation? Please help.

UTGas
UTGulls
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Hope rovers stay up as I have a lot of friends in the rovers following.They are a football league club with great history and following but for the life of me I do not understand why you do not join up with City to make a premier league side,divided we fall?.
Kinky John Fowler
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Kinky John Fowler »

frenchgull wrote:but for the life of me I do not understand why you do not join up with City to make a premier league side,divided we fall?.
How very dare you :lol:

The reason is that Rovers fans wouldn't watch a Bristol United and City fans wouldn't watch a Bristol United.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Ditto Sheffield, Nottingham, Stoke(Port Vale) and all the other smaller cities where there might be a case for merger.