Player of the season?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
mickyflash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Player of the season?

Post by mickyflash »

Its that time of year again, and the club will be asking us to cast our votes for the player of the season when we meet Barnet at Plainmoor on April 13th.

Weather your glass is half full or half empty in terms of the relegation battle, one thing I am sure we can all agree on, is this year we will be voting for the best one of a bad bunch, rather than having three or four stand out candidates, which I feel is normally the case.

So who can we Vote for?

I would like to to be able to vote for Rene Howe, our top goalscorer and I feel has been the most talented player in our squad this season, however I feel I am unable to do so, he just hasn't looked interested since Christmas (or before?) has picked up too many bookings and theretofore missed too many games due to suspensions.

Saah/Downes also good players for us, as we all know but have they been consistent enough? I think Downes has been an excellent replacement for Ellis, and has added a goal threat to set pieces but his run of giving away penalties and then the sending off that has cost him his place in the side, plus the soft goals we have conceded all season, ask serious questions.

I've always been a big fan of Billy Bodin and did not get the barrage of abuse he got from his own fans especially at home at one put of the season. However the bottom line is 4 goals all season and to be outscored by a centre half is just not good enough, he is young, he is a talent and a prospect, much like Nathan Craig but neither are POTS in my opinion.

Manse/Nicho neither, really have played to there ability this year, worth a mention as are often in with a shout but not this year. The less I say about Joe Oastler the better, I nearly fell off my chair earlier this season when I read a thread on here saying he was our next big moneymaker. Ryan Jarvis hasn't really done a lot wrong, but hasn't really done allot right either.

To be perfectly honest the only player that I feel has come in, made an impact, made us look visibly stronger and scored goals is Ladabie but you cant vote for a player who has played 7 games. Can you? I think that would be a real statement if he were to get it.

You have probably guessed by now who this leaves, Michael Poke is the one player continually in the starting line up who you really can not say, our troubles are down to you. While he is no Bobby, and has had to play with that on his back all year, he really has kept us in quite a few games. He has been the most consistent player in the squad and with our goal difference being worth an extra point in the fight for survival. I think it will be poke who gets my vote.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Howe. Our only good player who is worth crossing the street to watch. The others? wouldn't watch if they were in the back garden to be honest. close the curtains, put the sprinklers on and release the Doberman
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Good post Mickyflash

Michael Poke otherwise we'd have been relegated a long time ago.

Downes and Howe are the only other ones i'd consider. Downes a clear 2nd as he has had a couple of blips but generally hase been immense.

Howe, amazing first half the season backing up goals with workrate. Second half a disgrace in all honesty.

Those 3 clear of Saah, Jarvis and Mansell. The rest don't matter.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Howe is a contender, Pokey had ashaky start but has come good and of late been brilliant, however up to his last 2 games Aaron Downes was in my opinion streets ahead and will get my vote.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

For me, unlike last season when there were several contenders, this season there are just three - Downes, Saah and Poke. Up until his last two nightmare games, Downes would have been my choice but I shall be voting for BRIAN SAAH - he has been pretty solid all season.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

austrianandygull wrote:Good post Mickyflash

Michael Poke otherwise we'd have been relegated a long time ago.

Downes and Howe are the only other ones i'd consider. Downes a clear 2nd as he has had a couple of blips but generally hase been immense.

Howe, amazing first half the season backing up goals with workrate. Second half a disgrace in all honesty.

Those 3 clear of Saah, Jarvis and Mansell. The rest don't matter.
No Bodin then?!

For me it would be between Poke, Saah and Downes.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
A J
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by A J »

yellowsmiffy wrote:Agreed, Pokey also for me. It was Downes by a country mile, but his recent mishaps have left me thinking that Poke now shades it very slightly. It's a shame, as Downes was a class act until those penalties. It just seemed so uncharacteristic of him. Poke has kept us in so many games this season, and whilst of course no keeper can replaced Bobby, he's done a very good job of trying.
My thinking exactly.

1. Poke
2. Downes
3. Howe (just above Saah)
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Downes
Saah
The gulls are going up
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Well Mansell won't care about not getting something as obscure as a club player of the season award if he is able to create football history by being the first player to be relegated out of the Football League THREE times! Every professional desires to be remembered in the history books when their career is over, and he needs to get a move on as it very nearly is.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

The last time I totalled up everyone in the MOTM voting, Downes, Howe and Poke were well ahead of the others, Saah a little way back.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

On contribution to our season, i'd be tempted to vote for Labadie, which says more about how the team has performed rather than him being superb
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

When most appear to vote for our goalkeeper, then little wonder we are struggling at the foot of the table.

Would be interesting how many tickets have been sold for the so called end of season party at the grand!!
Lucy
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Saah or Poke.

Royalgull is having a shocker lately adding Howe as a POTY to saying Rice is better than Rayner. Oh dear !!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
robbotufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by robbotufc »

i was talking to Trojan 67 at the bradford match and he surprise me that he will be voting for Danny Stevens :O :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

It's like he's voting for himself mate. Like identical twins apart from the bed wetting :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com