Torquay United v York City 23/3/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

4 points over Easter? Can't see us getting anything at Northampton, 9 home wins on the bounce for them now, and 12 in 13. Any points from Cobblers and Gills are a bonus in my opinion, 4/6 points from Bradford and Barnet are a bit more important for me.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

copied that league table off gulls player, sorry!
still keeping the faith
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Nick, I think it's indicative of how much Knill has turned us around in the space of a few weeks that i CAN see us getting something at Northampton. Why can't we go there and get a win or at the very least a draw? There is nothing stopping us now, we have the discipline, the confidence is flooding back and we are scoring goals again. It will be a n extremely tough game as they are a strong physical side but we are more than capable of matching them. Before our game at Southend i wouldn't have given us a hope in hell of even getting a shot on target at Northampton but now, hell why not?

Mightily relieved about the result today and sort of glad that the York fans had something to cheer as i reckon they never thought they'd see Richard Cresswell score for them again. A true Minstermen legend. We got the 3 points and a massive thumbs up to EVERYONE involved with the club today, it was hard earned and well deserved and it gives us a cushion once more although Aldershot have a game in hand.

I so hope York stay up but as for us, it looks like we have hit a rich vein of form at just the right time and i go to Sixfields on friday night hoping to see the sort of performance we have been putting in these last few games.

WELL DONE ALL!!! COYY!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

ferrarilover wrote:Did you miss the game today too, RR?

Matt.
This is the second time you have asked him this for a home game. Why do you keep asking him?

Have I missed something?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We didn't play that well really - our third game in a week on a gluepot pitch and it showed. I think that York not having a midweek game gave them a significant advantage. Yet again we had to play the referee who insisted on giving York free kicks every five seconds.
We looked completely out on our feet after York scored so I massive effort to hang on for the three points being a man down.
Its impossible to describe what a massive three points that was. This turnaround is down to one man - Alan Knill. A brave decision to leave out Downes - and it paid off.
From looking in deep in trouble before Tuesdays game we look all but out of the mire. Fantastic.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Great team effort today on a gluepot of a pitch. Is Tom Cruise suspended for one or three games? Along with Labadie and Chappell, he has made a big difference to the team.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

What have you done with the real Brucie? I have agreed with loads of your posts recently, which is quite frankly amazing!

Cracking result today. So happy that the team are fighting to avoid the drop as it looked for a while that we would go out with a wimper.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Steve - you are basically agreeing with my posts because you have come to realise that I am always right :bow:

Or more probably the reason is that you have seen a different brand of football under Knill than that under LIng. The crowd was 2800 - a fair increase on the crowds of late. Its no coincidence though - more exciting football than the drab fare we have been treated to for most of the season.

Before the Rotherham game my last matche seen was Afc Wimbledon. I have seen every home match since Knill has taken charge. I will probably go to Northampton next week purely because I believe that we could actualy get a result.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

I'm hearing a lot of good things about Ryan Jarvis... But my question is would you all still be saying how well he played even if he didn't pull a wondergoal out of the bag?

Just wondering if it is his all-round performance or that moment of quality? I'm genuinely interested!
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

stevegull wrote:I'm hearing a lot of good things about Ryan Jarvis... But my question is would you all still be saying how well he played even if he didn't pull a wondergoal out of the bag?

Just wondering if it is his all-round performance or that moment of quality? I'm genuinely interested!
Good question. Having yet to watch the lads under Knill, I suspect it is a case of average players upping their game when quality is introduced. Rooney looks a lot better alongside RVP than he does for England.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Rooney also looks a lot better alongside Frankenstein. :~D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
londongull63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by londongull63 »

Good sized crowd (albeit with cheap deals so not so great financially). How many did it look like York brought?

Agree with earlier post about signing McDonald up. I have full confidence in him whenever he comes in, and the great advantage of getting the younger ones like Angus, Bodin, Cruise, Leadbitter, is they can't just get grabbed for nothing when they shine as their contract runs out - leaving you back to square one trying to find another unpolished gem every 2 years - as teams have to pay for them or it goes to tribunal. Unfortunately unlike Rene, a great find but who can walk for nothing in May.

Don't want to get into the Ling v Knill debate as I think any Div 2 club would be lucky to have either and we need to show confidence and support for whoever could be here come August. But while Knill is seeing an upturn in results, remember those players people are praising here Leadbitter a few games ago, Cruise, McDonald (obviously Saah, Downes, Howe...and today Jarvis), all Lingy discoveries. If Martin hadn't gone ill I think he would have gone to the 2 up front and if he'd been allowed 3 loans with more being chased we would have seen a similar improvement.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Scott Brehaut wrote:
This is the second time you have asked him this for a home game. Why do you keep asking him?

Have I missed something?
A tenner says that the explanation is drenched in pomposity...!
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
londongull63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by londongull63 »

don't think we should look at the home games as where the points flow in and away ones as lucky to get anything. I reckon we've now had our 2 easiest of the last 5 homes. Bradford are going for promotion and over their Cup hangover, Rovers are on form, and Barnet have shown dangerously good performances since they beat us (winning at Gillingham, and taking 4 points off promotion challengers this week).
To counter for slip-ups there I see no reason why we can't look for an equal number of points away. Northampton and Gillingham are no world-beaters, they only beat struggling clubs 1-0 at home today, and we beat one at home and could have beaten the other. Plus, you can always catch them being complacent thinking we're an easy game.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

londongull63 wrote:don't think we should look at the home games as where the points flow in and away ones as lucky to get anything. I reckon we've now had our 2 easiest of the last 5 homes. Bradford are going for promotion and over their Cup hangover, Rovers are on form, and Barnet have shown dangerously good performances since they beat us (winning at Gillingham, and taking 4 points off promotion challengers this week).
To counter for slip-ups there I see no reason why we can't look for an equal number of points away. Northampton and Gillingham are no world-beaters, they only beat struggling clubs 1-0 at home today, and we beat one at home and could have beaten the other. Plus, you can always catch them being complacent thinking we're an easy game.
really?
they arnt saying that oop north.........

as for TUFC - I think we can match and beat any team now on the run in. as you have said both northampton and the gills scraped a 1-0 today so why cant we beat them?
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468