Torquay United v Chesterfield - 19/3/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

austrianandygull wrote:I've just realised i've made over 5000 posts. Crikey. Who said that i didn't have a life? They might be right after all. :-/

Has anyone EVER made that many posts or am i the first? Jesus.
Nope, you first, then Bixie, then Dave (SG) (go to members (top right of screen), click on posts and voila)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

austrianandygull wrote:I've just realised i've made over 5000 posts. Crikey. Who said that i didn't have a life? They might be right after all. :-/

Has anyone EVER made that many posts or am i the first? Jesus.
no, before the the old site had the big crash of 2010 I remember S/G and a few others were over 7,000 posts.
Formerly known as forevertufc
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Its become the norm to slate the officials after any given match, and whilst the standard is generally poor, tonight was totally inept. Attwell lost control of proceedings and ended up handing out yellow cards on a random generator basis regardless of whether the tackle was good or not, making up non-existent hand-balls and generally giving the demeanour of someone who didn't really know what he was doing.

The pop-side linesmen bettered this though, raising his flag for every single attack in the second half. On one occasion Mansell timed his run to perfection; offside, Rene started about 4 yards behind the defender; offside. I would say there were at least 4 dubious decisions from an official guilty of ball-watching rather than actually watching the run. I actually thought Howe was going to walk over and floor him at one point.

Happily this didn't detract from an excellent performance tonight, some thrilling football in an all action 20 minute opening salvo and looked good for a third for large portions of the match. Even when Chesterfield pulled a goal back (and a poor goal to concede) we continued to press high up the field and didn't really give off a vibe of a team intent on sitting back.

The quality of Knill's loan signings have really breathed fresh life into us, galvanising the players who were already here. Once you get yourselves in front players like Benyon and Jarvis become vital because they chase and hassle every single ball, they were both excellent tonight.

Absolutely massive 3 points tonight in the overall scheme of things, crowd were excellent for the entire 90 minutes too.

More of the same needed on Saturday, come on you yellows!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

f**kin sky! :@

just showed the games "goals" from league 2 apart from ours (and rochdales!) :@

even showed an interview with jeffers and davids!

f**kin unbelievable! :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

Massive result tonight. Knills first win after 7 games. So after 7 games Knill has gained 6 points, which matches the points gained by Hill at Rochdale, Scott is still on 6 at Aldershot but he's only had six games, Sheridan at Plymouth gained 9 points in his first seven games and Ward at Bristol R gained 14 (and lets hope we don't require points against them in the final match of the season).

Tonights win hasn't transformed Knill into a miracle-worker and Its essential having got this win that we don't squander it with a poor result on Saturday. Until we know different we must expect the clubs around us to also be getting good results. It looks like being a year where over 50 points will be needed to avoid the drop.
I hope that there is a very positive and sizable crowd on the day - after the last few performances there certainly should be!!

Positives today - good start and obviously the win. Knills signings have raised the skill, and flair in the team and its rubbed off on some of the rest of the squad.

Negatives - Chesterfield had more possession, and corners. The bookings worry me - they must be totting up putting some of our players at risk of suspension just when they are needed most.

I would like to see Macdonald keep his place and let Downes rest and strengthen his legs a little longer as he's bound to be needed for the run-in.
It looks like Yeoman, Thompson, and Morris don't interest Knill - shame.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:f**kin sky! :@

take it back - we've just been on! =D

renes goal was a bit cheeky! =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

All three of our bookings tonight were unwarranted. The referee did his level best to spoil a good game. Alan Knill is turning the ship around and the loan signings of Labadie and Chappell have been immense. Don't quite understand why Morris appears to be out in the cold, but I suspect Knill is putting his faith in experienced players for the dog-fight we are in, hence Yeoman, Thompson and McKenzie not being included, although McKenzie is hopefully getting good match experience at Taunton. Difficult call re McDonald or Downes for Saturday. For me, Aaron Downes has been our player of the season with Brian Saah a very close second, but Angus played well tonight and had a good game at Southend from all reports. I think Knill will again go for experience but if there's any chance of making Angus' move permanent at the end of the season, I hope we sign him.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Like one swallow doesn't make a fellatrice, so one blackbird doesn't make a summer.

Follow up with 3pts against York and the other teams below can go suck.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Great performance and result to match. Having said that, all will be wasted if we don't follow up with another win on Saturday - it really is a huge game and I hope the crowd as well as the players will be right up for it.

On the Downes v McDonald issue - I thought Downes is suspended for three matches because of the second red card?

Everyone was on the money tonight - very impressed with the younger players in particular Cruise and McDonald against a top-notch attack.

The spirit amongst the players looks good and there seems to be a good bonding between Mansell and Knill which shows mutual respect and a shared commitment to the cause.

Like everyone else I thought the officials were awful and the players had to be very professional to not let it get to them and put them off their game.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

great game tonight everyone stepped up to the mark, as for the ref and the linos well i think they need to go back and take a long hard look at why they are doing this, they were a disgrace, did chesterfield pay them as they gave everything to them and some of the decisions of the lino on the popside were shambolic, if i were an assesor watching that i would have them in for re-training. anyway well done to the lads, cruise looks the part at left back and labadie and chappell, great signings. :clap:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Well that was a nerve wracked ninety minutes. The writing was on the wall when they scored but we saw out the remainder of the game brilliantly.
Chappell is a great signing - a winger who can carry the ball and prepared to give his all for the cause.
Chesterfield were actually a decent side and make no mistake we beat 14 men last night. The officials were an absolute disgrace. For whatever reason they were intent on Chesterfield winning the game - that is the only possible explanation for the number of decisions that went against us.
Even their goal came from a ridiculous hand ball decision against Macdonald.
Seven points from seven games looks achievable now - with Bodin to return we look to have a forward line that will damage other teams defences.
Sme great peformances last night but really it was all about work rate and manning up. The unsung heroes like Jarvis,Benyon,Macdonald and Cruise were immense.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

brucie wrote:Well that was a nerve wracked ninety minutes. The writing was on the wall when they scored but we saw out the remainder of the game brilliantly.
Chappell is a great signing - a winger who can carry the ball and prepared to give his all for the cause.
Chesterfield were actually a decent side and make no mistake we beat 14 men last night. The officials were an absolute disgrace. For whatever reason they were intent on Chesterfield winning the game - that is the only possible explanation for the number of decisions that went against us.
Even their goal came from a ridiculous hand ball decision against Macdonald.
Seven points from seven games looks achievable now - with Bodin to return we look to have a forward line that will damage other teams defences.
Sme great peformances last night but really it was all about work rate and manning up. The unsung heroes like Jarvis,Benyon,Macdonald and Cruise were immense.
steady brucie old boy.

you arnt talking wet this morning........

TUST Member 468

ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

i have not liked jarvis much since he came here and always thought he offered us nothing but i have to hold my hand up and say he looked a differant player last night, so well done ryan.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yep, me and a friend play a game called "Jarvis watch" I score a point every time he does someone good , he gets one for every screw up, have to say I won hands down last night... :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:f**kin sky! :@

You ought to try following in a Sky & interweb free zone that is my obscure miles-from-the-exchange village! Ceefax was FORTY minutes behind time, Radio 5 Live was talking to egg-chasers for 2 hours and TalkSport were banging on about a tackle that happened FOUR days ago, Channel 301 were showing endless repeats of Formula Frickin 1, so 58 texts an 17 phone calls later, I managed to keep up in real time.
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.