Our Club

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Our Club

Post by IanGull01 »

After reading the threads and posts over the last couple days I felt compelled to put my point across and putting some home truths out there.

1) If it wasn't for Breed, Phillps and co, there wouldn't be a club. So when thinking about having a go at them, just think of your Saturday afternoons you wouldn't have had watching your beloved Torquay if they hadn't of done what they did. Yes, board members left...but that happens at every professional football club! People moan when Breed doesn't say anything and then when he does people still moan, the bloke can't win. Ok, things might not have been done properly sometimes but we are all human!

2) People questioning Nicholson's managerial skills/man management. Ok, he has no previous managerial experience. Nor did Buckle and look where he took us. Ok, he had money pumped behind him to build a good squad but he started from scratch. You can see what Nicholson has done since he took charge.
Look at the players he has brought in. All of them have had good careers and want to play for Torquay.
Look at the players who have left. All signed by Cox and apart from Butler haven't been able to hack it under Nicholsons regime.
Anybody who says we are not competing on the pitch is obviously watching a different game. We just haven't been able to put the ball in the back of the net. And when your luck is down it is down! We've had nothing all year!!

3) Talk of attendances going under 1000. What a load of rubbish!! There will always be a core of 1200 supporters who will stick with the club.

4) Players have left recently and people say we we should be adding to the squad and not getting rid of players. There is no money to add with so we have to replace what we have got with better players. Verma for Heslop is a prime example. Wright for Fisher is another. Why add to people who aren't up to it when we can bring in new blood and actually pay them a decent wage and bring in a better player. I think Blissett and Harrad will be good for us.

Anyway, I've stuck my neck out and no doubt there will be some critiscisms on this post but it is a forum after all and entitled to voice our opinions.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

IanGull01 wrote:After reading the threads and posts over the last couple days I felt compelled to put my point across and putting some home truths out there.

1) If it wasn't for Breed, Phillps and co, there wouldn't be a club. So when thinking about having a go at them, just think of your Saturday afternoons you wouldn't have had watching your beloved Torquay if they hadn't of done what they did. Yes, board members left...but that happens at every professional football club! People moan when Breed doesn't say anything and then when he does people still moan, the bloke can't win. Ok, things might not have been done properly sometimes but we are all human!

2) People questioning Nicholson's managerial skills/man management. Ok, he has no previous managerial experience. Nor did Buckle and look where he took us. Ok, he had money pumped behind him to build a good squad but he started from scratch. You can see what Nicholson has done since he took charge.
Look at the players he has brought in. All of them have had good careers and want to play for Torquay.
Look at the players who have left. All signed by Cox and apart from Butler haven't been able to hack it under Nicholsons regime.
Anybody who says we are not competing on the pitch is obviously watching a different game. We just haven't been able to put the ball in the back of the net. And when your luck is down it is down! We've had nothing all year!!

3) Talk of attendances going under 1000. What a load of rubbish!! There will always be a core of 1200 supporters who will stick with the club.

4) Players have left recently and people say we we should be adding to the squad and not getting rid of players. There is no money to add with so we have to replace what we have got with better players. Verma for Heslop is a prime example. Wright for Fisher is another. Why add to people who aren't up to it when we can bring in new blood and actually pay them a decent wage and bring in a better player. I think Blissett and Harrad will be good for us.

Anyway, I've stuck my neck out and no doubt there will be some critiscisms on this post but it is a forum after all and entitled to voice our opinions.

:goodpost:
TUST No 278
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

IanGull01 wrote:After reading the threads and posts over the last couple days I felt compelled to put my point across and putting some home truths out there.

Interesting post.
1. The way Breed and Phillips are running the club we won't be watching are beloved club for much longer.
2. Agree about the lack of goals so why have we sold are leading goal scorer and best forward and signed two players who have scored 1 goal between them all season?
3. I wouldn't be so sure. It is a very long time since I have seen such anger amongst are fan base.
4. Surely the departure of some of our high earners has released funds to sign players and improve the squad.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular

Post by IanGull01 »

Thanks for your reply Guildford Gull.

1) They are all we have got so we have to back them. Do you not think what they done with the training ground and sorting out the new training facilities are a good move. I certainly do.
2) Hurst and Marsh? No comment.
3) Ok, but we're still get getting 1700 so we're miles away from that.
4) That was my point.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You are a lunatic.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I disagree with number 3. I think more and more fans are finding other enjoyable things to do on a Saturday. My kids never want to go when I have them so despite having a ST, I actually enjoy the afternoon off and doing something with them instead of watching the dross we've been served up for the past three years.

I'm going to Bristol City on Saturday, paying £34 for my ticket and looking forward to a decent game in a decent atmosphere in a rapidly improving ground. I've threatened not to renew my ST the past couple of years but due to insistant relatives, I've had it renewed for me. This year however, they all understand my feelings and that's one ST holder less. If the club goes down to the Conference South, how many will realistically renew their tickets to watch clubs like Concord Rangers, Margate and Whitehawk???

The club has never been in such turmoil and despite the large local population in Torbay, the reality is that nobody gives a shit about the club.

Sad but true.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

I said a while ago, what was our strategy and number one goal, if it was to stay up, then every little bit of focus and decision making should have revolved around this, there is a difference to being caught behind enemy lines and planning a war, it might have been out of sheer necessity and the fact there was no other options available but we look like we are planning for the long term, which if its the case then its a step back to take many steps forward.

It looks like we have been restructuring and building a team for the future and not fighting our way out of a relegation battle, we may have faired better if from day one we worked with the players we had instead of restructuring and bringing in the right players with the right behaviours, all very valid in the long term, but back to strategy, was it the wrong one for a relegation battle.
Guildford Gull wrote: Interesting post.
1. The way Breed and Phillips are running the club we won't be watching are beloved club for much longer.
2. Agree about the lack of goals so why have we sold are leading goal scorer and best forward and signed two players who have scored 1 goal between them all season?
3. I wouldn't be so sure. It is a very long time since I have seen such anger amongst are fan base.
4. Surely the departure of some of our high earners has released funds to sign players and improve the squad.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Burnhamgull wrote: If the club goes down to the Conference South, how many will realistically renew their tickets to watch clubs like Concord Rangers, Margate and Whitehawk???
I'll be there Burnham.

God knows why but I will.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

A good posting from the heart whether you agree or disagree.
A lot better than the usual bickering amongst the usual suspects who do the majority of posts on this forum.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

Jerry wrote: I'll be there Burnham.

God knows why but I will.
Me too, because I'm a supporter, not a customer.
TUST No 278
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

A couple of days back Ian I would have agreed with you. I have for fifty years been proud to be a Torquay Supporter. Right now I am on a sabbatical !
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

TORQUAY TILL I(IT) DIE(S)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular

Post by IanGull01 »

brucie wrote:You are a lunatic.
Thankyou!!!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I will still go in Conf South, because I "Support" Torquay Utd football club
TUST MEMBER
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

i think brucie is a lunatic. there i feel better now.
On the subject of better players coming in exchange for poor players leaving. we have signed Blisset from Rovers. and they all say good riddance. it remains to be seen if he is a good player. Ive yet to be convinced. but all the other signings look good on paper and I've heard good reports about The lad from Forrest
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843