AFC Wimbledon v Torquay United match thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

AFC Wimbledon v Torquay United match thread

Post by Gullscorer »

AFC Wimbledon v Torquay United Sat 11 January 2014, 3pm. (Last time against the Dons: Torquay United 1-1 Wimbledon, August 2013)

For Chris Hargreaves’ first game in charge as the Gulls’ manager, it’s surprising that on the morning of the game no match thread has appeared, so I thought I’d get one going. This is the start of a new era for the Gulls, halfway through the season, and it will require a minor miracle if we are to avoid relegation. But whether or not we avoid the drop, the signs are good that the team is in capable hands, the club having chosen a new young(ish) manager after the recent experiences with two experienced bosses, and I’m getting the same kind of feeling I had at the start of Paul Buckle’s tenure at Plainmoor, one of optimism and hope for the future, with Hargreaves being ably supported by new Assistant Manager Lee Hodges and the rest of the Plainmoor staff.

As for today’s opponents, AFC Wimbledon was founded in 2002 after the original Wimbledon FC was stolen from them and relocated to Milton Keynes and re-named MK Dons. In its short history, the club has been extremely successful, being promoted five times in nine seasons, and going up from the ninth tier (Combined Counties Premier) to the fourth (League Two). The only other club considered to have completed this feat is the now dissolved Rushden & Diamonds.

AFC Wimbledon holds the record of the longest unbeaten run of league matches in English senior football, having played 78 consecutive league games without a defeat between February 2003 and December 2004. AFC Wimbledon hold the distinction of being the first club to be formed in the 21st century to make it into the Football League.

They currently play at Kingsmeadow in Kingston-upon-Thames, London, a ground which is shared with Kingstonian, but their supporters are campaigning for a return to Plough Lane, a move you can support by clicking here: http://bringthedonshome.org/

Their manager is Neal Ardley, who joined the club in October 2012 following the departure of Terry Brown. Their Senior Professional Development Coach is Shaun North, who was Assistant Manager at Plainmoor under Paul Buckle. Their captain is Alan Bennett, and their top scorers are Frampton and Pell, both on 4 goals. For today’s game, defender Jim Fenlon has started a three-match ban following his sending off in the win at Wycombe. Midfielders George Francomb (calf) and Peter Sweeney (foot) and striker Charlie Strutton (leg) are all out.

Wimbledon lie 14th in League Two, with 32 points from 24 games. On New Years Day they lost 1-0 at Dagenham and last Saturday won 3-0 at Wycombe. Last six games: W1 D4 L3 Goals F6 A8

Last week they completed the loan signing of Middlesbrough striker Charlie Wyke. The 21-year-old, who scored twice in 26 appearances during a loan spell at Hartlepool last season, joined the Dons on an initial one-month deal. And yesterday they signed former Aldershot Town defender Aaron Morris on a free transfer. The 24-year-old made 44 appearances for the Shots last season but departed the Hampshire club in the summer after sustaining cruciate ligament damage. The former Wales Under-21 international, who can also play in midfield, began his career at Cardiff.

The Gulls are 23rd with 23 points from 25 games. On New Years Day at Home Park we lost 2-0 to Plymouth Argyle; this was Alan Knill’s last game as Gulls boss. Last Saturday with Geoff Harrop in charge we draw 1-1 at home to Morecambe in a game we deserved to win. Last six games: W2 D3 L3 Goals F7 A11

After last week’s fine performance I would expect few, if any, changes to today’s starting line-up, but this week’s loan signings of Jayden Stockley from Bournemouth and Shamie Goodwin from Brighton have given Chris Hargreaves additional options. Team news doubtless will follow later.

Well, that should be enough to get us started. sorry if i’ve missed anything; this post was written in a hurry. But if I made any errors, I’m sure you’ll soon put them right. Unfortunately I can’t make it to the game, but I’ll be glued to the radio and obviously hoping for a great win to begin the new era.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Great opening post, I was wondering where the match day thread was, but far too lazy and inarticulate to write one myself!! Looking forward to listening to this one, and will be making only my 3rd visit to Plainmoor of the season next week.

Only error I can see in their is your maths are a bit off. Our form over the last 6 games equals 8 games!! But good effort, very enjoyable and informative read!!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Yep, I intended to display the last six games but forgot to get the right table up, so I copied the last eight instead. Anyway you can have fun looking at the various form tables here, not that they're likely to have too much relevance of course: http://weekendfootball.co.uk/analysis/f ... mescount=6
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper

Post by tufc si »

Got a great feeling about today, honestly think Jesus Hargreaves is the man to get the boys fired up!!
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

Gullscorer wrote:Team:
Poke Nicolson Pearce Downes O'Connor Lathrope Mansell Labadie Stockley Benyon Hawley
Certainly a very bold line up. Good to have the option of some pace and skill off the bench also.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

nickfrench82 wrote: Certainly a very bold line up. Good to have the option of some pace and skill off the bench also.
Bodin must be injured?
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Maybe Greavsie just wanted three out and out strikers.

Certainly an interesting decision, though I hope that Billy takes it positively and fights his way back in..
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Double post.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Full team details:

AFC Wimbledon
01 Worner
02 Fuller
03 Kennedy
05 Frampton
06 Bennett
14 Antwi
08 Moore
07 Francomb
10 Midson
26 Wyke
11 Moore
Substitutes
16 Sainte-Luce
18 Sheringham
19 Arthur
22 Brown
25 Jacquart
27 Morris
32 NIghtingale

Torquay United
01 Poke
29 O'Connor
03 Nicholson
06 Lathrope
05 Pearce
04 Downes
07 Mansell
18 Labadie
09 Hawley
19 Stockley
26 Benyon
Substitutes
02 Tonge
10 Bodin
11 Cameron
12 Chapell
13 Rice
17 Goodwin
20 Craig

Ref: Darren Deadman
Last edited by Gullscorer on 11 Jan 2014, 14:42, edited 2 times in total.
TeenageGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by TeenageGull »

Hawley :@ :@ :@

Lets hope he proves us wrong
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

That is a real 4-3-3, no wide men making it 4-5-1, three real forwards up front. Very bold line-up.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
TeenageGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by TeenageGull »

3 midfielders are going to have a very hard game today
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Fingers crossed for no defensive injuries/red cards either as only Dale Tonge is on the bench! :|
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

Nick wrote:Fingers crossed for no defensive injuries/red cards either as only Dale Tonge is on the bench! :|
Not overly worried about that. Craig could slip in at LB, Tonge at RB, and if a CB gets injured or s/o, we have 2 more. No need for any further cover, allows us to have game changing options up top.