Last minute winners

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Last minute winners

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Since Nicho's goal with basically the last kick of the game, theres been alot of talk about us NOT scoring many goals that late, which is true. This got me wondering, just how many have we actually scored late on like that?

I can remember 3 others, off the top of my head;

Barnet 0-1 Torquay - Opening Day of 2006/07 - Lee Thorpe scored just as I was about to leave the ground - queue wild celebrations. Really, really hot day at Underhill too.

Exeter 1-2 Torquay - POSF 1st Leg - Zebroski, after Paul Jones' crap clearance.

Histon 4-5 Torquay - BSP

Can anyone think of any more?
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

Sills penalty vs. Northwich which kept Buckle in the job. That was stoppage time I believe.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

I can remember a few although that is spread over 49 seasons so it is hardly surprising, but I would have thought the most dramatic was when we reached 90 minutes losing 1-2 at home to Blackpool, only for Eifon Williams to score TWO in injury time and secure a 3-2 victory :keepie:
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Was that the game with the streaker Stefano?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Was that the game with the streaker Stefano?
I'd forgotten that but yes it was. August 2000 - the same season as our great escape with that 3-2 win at Barnet on the last day! =D
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I remember listening to it on Radio Devon and they were talking about a streaker on the pitch....we ended up with loads of "injury" time and scored two goals to win the game.

Wonder what the idiot felt like after realising that not only was he in trouble with the authorities, but that he actions also lost his team the match!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Mr Burnz
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sako

Post by Mr Burnz »

Home to Droylsden. 90th Minute Lee Phillips strike won us the game 2-1 I believe.
kbgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ashley Yeoman

Post by kbgull »

Away to York
won 2-1 with Mark Ellis notching in injury time

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Wayne Carlisle did it thrice.

Once, in one of the best matches I have ever seen, at Cambridge United. I stood with my little lot as well as Paulie Bastard and our chief supporter. Wayno was getting some stick at the time and we cheered him on all game, since he was playing right in front of us. With the match headed to a 0-0, TUFC launched their hundredth attacking wave of the second half. A long diagonal from, if memory serves, Danny Stevens (although Nico would fit better), from left to right and Tim Sills bore down on it. At the last second he is called off by Wayno who kills it dead and curly a left footed shot from the right hand diagonal of the box into the top corner of the CUFC net. What a goal, what a finish. And to top it all off, he ran straight over to me and my gang and jumped straight into us. The rest of the team followed and by the time they had prised themselves off, I was covered in sweat and mud, but I didn't care.

That same year, he scored as a late, late sub on two consecutive occasions. First at a dark and depressing evening match with Grays, I can't remember the goal. Secondly at Alrtincham, where he smahed the winner, a dipping drive, over their keeper and off the underside of the bar, wowsers. That may or may not have prompted me to taunt their supporters somewhat, which annoyed them greatly, but I didn't care.

Aaah, good times.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Anyone but McNeil

Post by DTG »

stefano wrote:I can remember a few although that is spread over 49 seasons so it is hardly surprising, but I would have thought the most dramatic was when we reached 90 minutes losing 1-2 at home to Blackpool, only for Eifon Williams to score TWO in injury time and secure a 3-2 victory :keepie:
That was a great game. Seeing that bald fat scouse tw@t Mcmahon going ape made it even better.
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I can remember the Grays goal because I got absolutely pi$$ed on for the entire game, the Grays stewards eventually allowed Gulls fans along the side of the pitch but me and Paul Ba$tard along with about 2 others decided to stick behind the goal knowing full well the Gulls winner would be at that end......hmm. Tell you the truth I have no idea why I stayed there.

It was gale force winds and drviing rain, I remember their keeper taking goal kicks that were barely leaving the 18 yard box and swirling out for throw ins, was absolutely mental. 93mins of that followed then we broke away down the right hand side, a cross in found it's way to Wayne Carlisle who met it with a diving header back from whence it came straihgt into the far corner, made the soaking worth it.

What also made it worth it was I was there the year before when I saw us lose 2-0. That was when it should have been a case of Football Manager style 'Exit without Saving' and replay the game please. Grays is barely even a real place, nobody in the ground actually supports them, they are all West Ham fans who couldn't be arsed to go to Aston Villa for the day, we outnumbered the home fans and we've just lost to a pub side. I quite liked BSP but it was defeats like that which made it impossible to take at times.
A J
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by A J »

More from the 'Barnet' season (00-01). Kevin Parker in injury time (remember him?!) against Exeter at Plainmoor (2-1 victory). If we hadn't had all those late goals that season it would have been us going down!
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

Kevin Hill against Weymouth at home in BSP :) sent me home very happy!!!
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

Exeter 1-2 Torquay
Boxing Day
DON O RIORDAN!
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Crewe at home, Paul Dobson.

Surely our best ever last minute goal. May not have won us the match but secured our survival.

:goal: