Martin Rice

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

How do we know its 26k??
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

cambgull wrote: Small wage packet? I wouldn't mind £26k a year to play football!
I meant in football terms, i know its a lot of money. But its still a small amout of money compared to other players at Torquay. Sorry i keep thinking its small as im used to talking to over paid big timmers in Cardiff.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Richinns wrote:How do we know its 26k??
I was just guessing at around the £500 per week mark, can't see it being any less but it could go up another £100 a week.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

tufcbrett wrote:The main problem is, to find someone who will sit on the bench as a number 2. Not many keepers will do that, most would rather drop down a level to get first team football.

If Martin is happy to train, play in the reserves, help with the warm up with Bobby, sit on the bench and pick up his small wage packet every week then we cant fault the guy.
Agree TUFCBRETT. I was ridiculed about my suggestion of bringing in a hungry non-league keeper eager for the chance of moving to a FL club even as a number two as, like you rightly say it is very difficult to get keepers to be a number two at this level if they have already been playing at this level. An inexperienced keeper paid half the salary of say Rice would be a far better option in my opinion for the amount of times he would be called upon during the course of the season. If Martin is content with being a number two fine but i think we can get a decent non-league number two and save money on wages. Is this a ridiculous idea?
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

andygullagain wrote: Agree TUFCBRETT. I was ridiculed about my suggestion of bringing in a hungry non-league keeper eager for the chance of moving to a FL club even as a number two as, like you rightly say it is very difficult to get keepers to be a number two at this level if they have already been playing at this level. An inexperienced keeper paid half the salary of say Rice would be a far better option in my opinion for the amount of times he would be called upon during the course of the season. If Martin is content with being a number two fine but i think we can get a decent non-league number two and save money on wages. Is this a ridiculous idea?
Well I'd be pretty sure of the fact he'll be on cheap wages and hes a non-league number two, so the only query is whether he is decent.

In my opinion, he's a cheap, non-league keeper who will be happy at the chance to prove himself at a club he already knows. Like McPhee, if he hadn't had a poor showing the first time around, we'd all be pretty pleased with this signing.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by tufcbrett »

cambgull wrote: Well I'd be pretty sure of the fact he'll be on cheap wages and hes a non-league number two, so the only query is whether he is decent.

In my opinion, he's a cheap, non-league keeper who will be happy at the chance to prove himself at a club he already knows. Like McPhee, if he hadn't had a poor showing the first time around, we'd all be pretty pleased with this signing.

I agree, we need to treat all sinings as a new player as over the last few years they all would have improved. Which Martin has and i seen this myself and McPhee has played really well for the clubs hes been at.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Can't help thinking of the importance of quality between the sticks - Danny did a good job for us last year when called upon, the number of points we gained cos of a good keeper, and that clean sheet record we had last year. Would we have done that with Mr Rice backing up Mr Bevan?
TUST member 200 ;-)
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by tufcbrett »

torq2u wrote:Can't help thinking of the importance of quality between the sticks - Danny did a good job for us last year when called upon, the number of points we gained cos of a good keeper, and that clean sheet record we had last year. Would we have done that with Mr Rice backing up Mr Bevan?
But the point is, if we had a keeper of Potters ability backing up Bobby, then that would then mean less money in the budget for the strikers we need.
I would have though Bobby would be on more than Bevs.
You also need to think was Potter really that happy at being 2nd choice, people like him would rather be playing first team in the BSP. Thats why i said if Rice is happy to be back up then we cant complain.

Like someone else said we could either have most our budget on a decent keeper and a ok back up. Or two good keepers at the simular abillity.

Save some money and get better attacking options and if Bobby gets injured then get a loan keeper from elsewhere for a few months.
Rice would only really cover some of a game and possibly a full game if a loan wasnt sorted.
Last edited by tufcbrett on 13 Jul 2011, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Brett - don't take offence to this (ok do if you want i don't care). Are you actually retarded or something. Rice is probably the worst pro keeper I have ever seen (maybe with the exception of Mark Coombe). Can you imagine the scenario. We go to Bristol Rovers, our keeper gets injured in the first minute and we bring on Rice. Buckle will piss himself. Rice is clueless for gods sake. he is bloody hopeless on crosses - In fact he is bloody hopeless full stop.
If there is any doubt that we wouldn't be a laughing stock this season then this signing has dispelled that.
The notion that "he will do as back up" is abject nonsense.
Clearly the contacts that Martin Ling was purported to have don't exist. He is either the worlds best bullshitter to have got the job in the first place 0r Tim "nice but dim" Baker and his merry crew have already accepted certain relegation this season.
Playing for bloody Truro will in no way have prepared Rice for another stab at pro footballer.
Christ no Conference North or South side would have him - he is that bad.
I have spoken to four regular supporters today who have vowed not to set foot inside Plainmoor this season because of the "calibre" of players that we are bringing in.
Expect Ling to unveil his new star striker tomorrow - Jose Mateu Luis Pinto, and if he is not available then no doubt it will be Cima Okorie's brother.
A complete and unmitigated disaster.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by tufcbrett »

brucie wrote:Brett - don't take offence to this (ok do if you want i don't care). Are you actually retarded or something. Rice is probably the worst pro keeper I have ever seen (maybe with the exception of Mark Coombe). Can you imagine the scenario. We go to Bristol Rovers, our keeper gets injured in the first minute and we bring on Rice. Buckle will piss himself. Rice is clueless for gods sake. he is bloody hopeless on crosses - In fact he is bloody hopeless full stop.
If there is any doubt that we wouldn't be a laughing stock this season then this signing has dispelled that.
The notion that "he will do as back up" is abject nonsense.
Clearly the contacts that Martin Ling was purported to have don't exist. He is either the worlds best bullshitter to have got the job in the first place 0r Tim "nice but dim" Baker and his merry crew have already accepted certain relegation this season.
Playing for bloody Truro will in no way have prepared Rice for another stab at pro footballer.
Christ no Conference North or South side would have him - he is that bad.
I have spoken to four regular supporters today who have vowed not to set foot inside Plainmoor this season because of the "calibre" of players that we are bringing in.
Expect Ling to unveil his new star striker tomorrow - Jose Mateu Luis Pinto, and if he is not available then no doubt it will be Cima Okorie's brother.
A complete and unmitigated disaster.
:lol:

Wheres your evidence in this mate? No im being realistic. we have a keeper on a fair wage, so we cant afford someone that great. Im for one has seen Rice play and he is better than he was. Yes hes not amazing but hes perfectly fine for a back up. Are you going to pay the wage for our super amazing back up keeper because the club certainly cant afford it.

Dont step foot in plainmoor then, so called real fans you are. Mate you need to get over that we will never be a able to play man utd and chelsea week in week out. We are a side in league 2, yes the squad is good enough for league 2. Have you seen some other squads, christ if you was there fan you would have run across the motorway.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

andygullagain wrote: Agree TUFCBRETT. I was ridiculed about my suggestion of bringing in a hungry non-league keeper eager for the chance of moving to a FL club even as a number two as, like you rightly say it is very difficult to get keepers to be a number two at this level if they have already been playing at this level. An inexperienced keeper paid half the salary of say Rice would be a far better option in my opinion for the amount of times he would be called upon during the course of the season. If Martin is content with being a number two fine but i think we can get a decent non-league number two and save money on wages. Is this a ridiculous idea?
It's nothing to do with what you say, Andy, we just ridicule you for being you. :na:

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Richinns wrote:he does love and value the club
I thought him and all his family were Greeks? :@
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

As long as he's happy to be number 2 and be on the bench then I'm happy. I presume he'll play in the JPT match where we can see how good of a keeper he is in a proper fixture.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Jerry wrote: I thought him and all his family were Greeks? :@
He's definatley an Excrement fan. Ive got him on Facebook. And he has a fair few staus' up the road. That and the fact he's rubbish are two of the reasons I'm skeptical if he was to come back. If he does we'll be heavily relying on Olejnik not getting injured.

Ling said a while back he wanted a keeper would would compete with Olejnik for the number one spot. And Rice would be one keeper would do the coplete opposite to that!
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

the whole "back up keeper" subject is a tough one. we're assuming, and with reasonable cause, that Bobby is a very good goalkeeper, and hopefully he lives up to the hype before him. i'm not questioning his ability, all we've heard sounds positive, BUT if he doesn't settle at TUFC, and his form is not good, then we will need to look to the backup keeper. most on here seem to think if we had to rely on Rice for any period of time, we'd be in the s**t.

over the past few seasons we've been very lucky with keepers, and our clean sheet record was mainly due to Michael Poke, who i'm sure we'd all have back in a flash, and he was backed up by Bevan. Last season, bev did ok and then we had potter, who wasn't poor, but when given a run of a few games, showed his flaws too often. So, was last year's options better than Bobby and (potentially) Rice ?? I don't think so.

how many clubs, even at the very top, have a fantastic back up keeper ?? You have your number 1, and hope nothing happens to him, whether you're torquay united or manchester united.

So i suggest we give Rice a bit of slack, and our support if he does come in, and maybe the chance to work with Bobby and Kenny Veysey will bring him on to a level where he becomes a more than adequate back up.
Brady

I Wish I Was There